Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Vintage Family Stories!

davestlouis

Practically Family
This one dates from the late 60s...my cousin was getting married. My cousin was the groom, and married a girl whose family lived right down the street. After the formal reception, everyone went back to my uncle's house to swim in the in-ground pool. The party went late into the evening. One of my other cousins had gone upstairs to bed, and was awakened by noise in the pool. He looked out the window, to find our grandfather making love with the bride's mother, in the shallow end of the pool. My grandfather was a widower, so that was kosher I guess, but the bride's father was somewhere nearby, passed out in a chair.

All of the participants are dead, so I guess there's no harm in sharing.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Oh, the stories I could tell about my grandfather...

I was also told that he didn't particularly care for the woman in the pool, not that it stopped him.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
In the spirit of Davestlouis' story, I have one of my own...

My brother was in kindergarten (@1972), and my mother was "Room Mother"; basically an unpaid teacher's assistant for a week. My mom decided to make gingerbread men for the kiddies on her last day as Room Mother.

While they were cooling, my dad snuck into the kitchen and added anatomically correct pieces/parts to these gingerbread people!! Peanut M&Ms were added, along with bits of licorice. My mother of course threw a fit and had to make another batch, but its still a funny story.

Pete

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I love these stories! This is one of the reasons why you should talk to your grandparents.

My great grandmother only passed away when I was in my 20s, but I really regret never having asked her to talk about her travels around Europe in the 20s and 30s, when my great grandfather was a musician.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My grandparents (see avatar) used to go camping in Canada in the 1930's. One time they were camping in a farmer's orchard in rural Quebec. They had a tent, and nearby there was a brook, which was traversed by a small and flimsy wooden bridge.
Anyhow, the next morning they awoke to find the farmer's cattle had mozied into the orchard and were enjoyiong the grass all around. But this being Quebec in the 30's none of the cows were dehorned. My grandfather hopped into their air cooled 1930 Franklin touring car and started herding the cows out of the area. Meanwhile my grandmother cringed in her nightgown in the tent.
Suddenly a great big bull stuck his head into the tent, just to say hello, I guess. My grandmother leapt out of the tent and ran across the bridge, which collapsed, sending her into the creek below.
After the cows had been herded away, my grampa fished her and her soggy nightgown out of the drink.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
My Husbands Grandmother (Nonnie is what everyone calls her but her name is Anne) was showing us some old pictures at the family Reunion. She showed me one of two couples leaning against a 30's car. She said that it was her and her husband and her friend Lorna and France. When she and Lorna were younger some young guys asked them to go for a ride in the car. Anne had been out with France and decided that he wasn't her type and Dalton the other guy was a lutheran and she was catholic so she didn't want to date him. Lorna was 5 years older than Anne and didn't want to date France as he was also 5 years younger than her but didn't object as much to Dalton as he was only 2 years younger than her. Well the girls debated who should ride with who in the car and finally Anne said "you know it doesn't really matter it's not like we are going to marry them". Famous last words Anne rode with Dalton and Lorna rode with France and they were both later married and stayed that way until death do us part. I wish I had that picture to show you all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley