Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goatskin vs horsehide

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Goat or horse? You may as well ask: Ginger or Mary Ann? Both have an immense appeal, wouldn't you say?

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide

i have a a2 horsehide from u.s.mfg.......it is about 3 months old now breaking in very nice....i live here in boston with all the snow we got i wear it to shovel that really breaks it in. plus it is warm compare to my a2 goatskin.........

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
So, to sum up:

Advantages of goatskin:
- Durability
- Flexibility
- Rip resistance
- Stability of finish

Advantages of horsehide:
- Warmth
- Smoothness of grain
- Ageability of finish
- Neat drape

???

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A G-2 is basically a US Navy G-1 with the bi-swing belted back and buttoning pockets, but without the fur collar or inner storm flap. It was originally called ANJ-2 and was to be issued to army and naval aviators alike in 1943, but never went into production.

Mine's a Cooper, which is now out of stock pretty much everywhere.
gt3108-closeup.jpg

US Wings is offering a G-2 as well.
goatG2new_DETAIL.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I believe this to be a G-2, but who really knows. All of that was a time so long ago.

7f69_1.jpg

The G2 Flight Jacket was designed prior to WWII to be the official United States Navy flyer’s jacket. This honor was ultimately given to the G-1 Aviator Jacket with it's fur collar. The USA G-2 Aviator Jacket is made from thick, tough brown leather with a polyester/cotton lining. It has ribbed knit cuffs and waistband, military spec zipper and fasteners and a leather top collar. In additin to the inside snapped gun pocket, it has 2 deep front handwarmer pockets, and 2 additional zip pockets.

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Peacoat said:
I believe this to be a G-2, but who really knows. All of that was a time so long ago.

The G2 Flight Jacket was designed prior to WWII to be the official United States Navy flyer’s jacket. This honor was ultimately given to the G-1 Aviator Jacket with it's fur collar. The USA G-2 Aviator Jacket is made from thick, tough brown leather with a polyester/cotton lining. It has ribbed knit cuffs and waistband, military spec zipper and fasteners and a leather top collar. In additin to the inside snapped gun pocket, it has 2 deep front handwarmer pockets, and 2 additional zip pockets.

I think what you are refering to is an AN-J-3 which there is no proof that they were ever issued. There was no such jacket as a G-2.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
The 422 become the 422A then the AN6552/ANJ-3A which then became the 55j14 then the G-1. This comes from the book: Suit Up: The Flight Jacket.The ANJ-2 was a lightweight cotton jacket worn in the Pacific by the Navy. It was the first the 421 then became the AN6551/ANJ2. Again this comes from the Suit UP book. I actually saw one that was stamped ANJ-2.

The ANJ3 was to replace the A2 but was never widely issued because the B-10 cloth jacket came out and replaced leather lightweight flight jackets for the Army Air Force in 1943. This doesn't mean A2s weren't issued after 1943.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
griffer said:
OK, I have a goatskin I would like to GENTLY antique.

Any thoughts on 'aging' goatskin?

Soaps, oils, glove softener?

Having goatskin jackets both original and reproduction they don't age. I have three original goatskin A2s that look great. They have some wear but nothing like horsehide A2s I have seen. I have used hot water on the collar of a Real McCoys roughwear model to get it lay down and not bother my neck. It worked real well but it didn't age the jacket. Goatskin I think is the toughest leather to age. I have been more sucessful with horsehide than goat.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Estevan said:
I think what you are refering to is an AN-J-3 which there is no proof that they were ever issued. There was no such jacket as a G-2.

Some fella had one for sale on eBay a few months ago that he claimed was issued to a WASP pilot and he even posted WWII-era photos of her wearing the jacket. Was he wrong? I thought he was full of it!

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Re: Anj-3

The ANJ-3 while never officially issued found it's way on to pilots backs here and there. Usually stateside or for ferrying transport pilots or bigwigs.

Usually they were procured at outfitters or higher end clothiers stores at the time .Predominately Abercrombie and Fitch .

When ,(and that is a big WHEN )they do have labels , they are civilian located in the pocket or inside the left panel towards the bottom.

So it does make sense for a WASP to have one ,but you would really have to know what you are looking at in order to authenticate it.

Jerome

Estevan

One of the Regulars
Some fella had one for sale on eBay a few months ago that he claimed was issued to a WASP pilot and he even posted WWII-era photos of her wearing the jacket. Was he wrong? I thought he was full of it!

It WAS worn by the WASP and I bought it from her daughter before I put it up for sale. :) The jacket was too big for me :( or I would have kept it. It had no spec tag hence it was not "issued" this does not mean that they were not worn by pilots because they were. The pictures were authentic as well as was the jacket. The daughter also included a biography about her mother.

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Peacoat,

Nice pic of your Avirex G-2. Of the Avirex jackets that I have seen, this one has the most comfortable fit and I like the way it looks. Great everyday wearer!

Ray

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Estevan said:
It WAS worn by the WASP and I bought it from her daughter before I put it up for sale. :) The jacket was too big for me :( or I would have kept it. It had no spec tag hence it was not "issued" this does not mean that they were not worn by pilots because they were. The pictures were authentic as well as was the jacket. The daughter also included a biography about her mother.

Oh reeeeaaaaallllly? Not sure if we are talking about the same jerk. BUT, I don't like to post on the vintage leather jackets forum because those creep-os are a bunch of know-it-alls but some guy on the forum named Senicko had the jacket I was talking about and here's what he said in a thread he started about it:

"Ok gents, here it is in all its glory. Yes, it is an original AN-J-3, never seen anything like it, yes, it was issued and named. This is no doubt made by Wills and Geiger, no doubt in my mind. The body of the jacket is very long, the goatskin is thin and grainy and exactly like other W&Gs I have owned in the past. Everything on the jacket is 100% original, and it has a Crown Zipper, very cool. Like every other AN-J-3 it has no spec tag and it never did, the lining is original and there is no evidence that a tag was ever attached. This jacket is very comfortable as it has the best of the A-2 and M-422. Take a look at the pics. Not for sale (at least not yet) I need to patch it up and wear it around a bit. Just kidding. "

There his first claim it was an issued jacket, and again:

"This jacket was issued as well. I am a little curious about the snaps though, as you can see in the picture where the WASP is wearing the jacket the snaps were on it when it was new, so it kinda throws Tomako's theory about them being installed post war. Maybe this was a variation or installed when the jacket was new?"

So it couldn't have been the same jacket, right? Because the guy I'm talking about claimed it was an issued jacket.
Oh well, takes all kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe