Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamour? Or Down To Earth Reality

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
All of the vintage clothes I wear/make are for everyday wear. I rarely have any 'glam' items. A long ball gown dont work too well at work .

Lady Day, you're the greatest. :)

I don't really know. I love elegance, I love luxurious fabrics, I love being classy and ladylike and expressing my personality, and I love the quintessential simple glamour of simply being a woman. I like to enhance that with what I wear. I don't have to be in furs, but hey, pearls and feminine detailing just seem to set us apart from the rest. There's something about turning heads, about hearkening to a time that most people in this age wouldn't dare approach. There's something very special in using fabrics, certain cuts of clothing (sounds like cuts of meat :)), and certain styles of the past. I think that most of the fashion and the styles of the past really coined what it was to be a WOMAN, and I think that using those styles to add a little glam to a time when everything is super-casual and super-easy is distinctive and glamourous and should be lauded at every occasion. I get one chance at living, and if it's glam or no glam, I choose glam! aha!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
princessofcandl said:
I second that. Especially with pink marabou heeled slippers and a "frosty" beverage!

btw... I prefer a bit of Michael Buble. Mixing up my vintage and modern

Now there's a thought, marabou slippers......hmm. I like the idea of that. For a beverage last night I was a little decadent and opted for champagne (in a Martini glass) with a little Benedictine added. I do think that I need to be wearing some "diamonds" too though!!!:) :)

crwritt

One Too Many
TheKitschGoth said:
Heels do change the way you walk, they shift your balance and make your hips move more. Unless, of course, you wear heels that are too high for you, then you just look awkward :s (yep, it's a pet hate of mine)
How many people really wear street shoes with 4" heels? I like mine 2 1/2 to 3" for dancing, and move well in them, on or off the dance floor. Any higher gets to be a challenge.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
crwritt said:
How many people really wear street shoes with 4" heels? I like mine 2 1/2 to 3" for dancing, and move well in them, on or off the dance floor. Any higher gets to be a challenge.

I think, for me, 4" shoes may result in a broken nose and some chipped teeth, counteracting any of the leg-lengthening beauty of such high heels. But I agree with TheKitchGoth - there's nothing funnier than watching someone tottering around in much too high heels. Watching someone who doesn't know how to walk properly in heels mince around a room is also quite amusing...lol. Of course, I would never let anyone know I was laughing at them...

crwritt

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
I"ve come to think of it as more amusing these days (the, 'why are you all dressed up?), sad that I get these comments even when I don't consider myself dressed up just ,'nice'. Of course everyone has their own style and that's all good, but, there is nothing lovlier in my book than a well dressed lady, and well, nothing more handsome than a man who's 'putting on the ritz' as well.

This is one reason I love to go ballroom dancing. Everyone looks gorgeous on a wednesday night. The ladies in glimmer and satin, the guys are shaved with a nice shirt and slacks.

http://www.maplewooddancecenter.com/flyers/ny2002/picture18.html
http://www.maplewooddancecenter.com/flyers/ny2002/picture27.html
http://www.maplewooddancecenter.com/flyers/ny2002/picture24.html

Elaina

One Too Many
I sort of follow Gok here.

When I do the medieval stuff, I generally play a celt with a leaning toward the "old powers" (which means I read your tea leaves at the booth :rolleyes: )

When I did Civil war reenactment in the past, I played the lady of questionable morals. Of course, my friend I went with was a Yank, I wasn't...but we hung out. Now, I'm still not a yank, still a lady of questionable morals, but I'm married to a Yank officer. Now I get the added fun of being a female spy, but I believe it's only because I'm such fun at these events. I also tend to wear ordinary clothes in brighter colors that were available, rather then the weeds everyone else runs around in.

I do a Edwardian/Flapper thing too, and in the former I'm prim and proper, and in the latter...well let's say I was a good girl that always wanted to be the bad girl. It works for me.

When I dress vintage, I usually go for glamour over everyday. For the War reenactments, I tend to be less showy then when I do the 50's stuff.

My day to day wear is a mishmash of all of the above.

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
dues to my sizing and measurements (extreeemely large bust and large hips, smallish waist) i find it hard to find everyday stuff to suit my shape. i know it sounds like a good 50s hourglass figure, but really, its annoyingly hard to shop for and practically no vintage clothes fit me, so i have to go for repro everytime. So it's usually glamour for me, sweaters and circle skirts with red lipstick. and almost all my clothes are in black - all of them dark colours, as i am quite self conscious. my friends always say i look "dressed to impress"

GOK

One Too Many
AllaboutEve said:
GOK, I just bought a silk satin pegnoir, late 30's and I have not taken it off all evening!!!! I would highly recommend it for swanning especially to a bit of Dinah Shore !!!!lol lol lol lol

I didn't say I don't own any!!! ;) Swanning is good!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
crwritt said:
How many people really wear street shoes with 4" heels?

Guilty... Out of all my heels, and we can all agree that is a copious collection, only 3 are under 3 inches. So being in 4" heels is sort of normal. For my wedding/reception I wore 4" white satin sparklie peek-a-boo heels. Not once did I have to take them off.

btw: don't you think its tacky to take off your dress shoes and change into slippers or sneakers at a wedding. If you know you're not gonna be comfy in what you wear then wear something else to start. My brother in law's bride and bridal party wore Cowboy boots (it sounds bad but it was cute, it was an outdoor wedding/reception on the family ranch). It was cute and they didn't have to change out.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
princessofcandl said:
Guilty... Out of all my heels, and we can all agree that is a copious collection, only 3 are under 3 inches. So being in 4" heels is sort of normal.

Glad I'm not the only one! The only shoes without a heel I ever wear are my driving shoes, I've yet to figure out how to control the car in 6" heels :D

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
princessofcandl said:
Guilty... Out of all my heels, and we can all agree that is a copious collection, only 3 are under 3 inches. So being in 4" heels is sort of normal. For my wedding/reception I wore 4" white satin sparklie peek-a-boo heels. Not once did I have to take them off.

btw: don't you think its tacky to take off your dress shoes and change into slippers or sneakers at a wedding. If you know you're not gonna be comfy in what you wear then wear something else to start. My brother in law's bride and bridal party wore Cowboy boots (it sounds bad but it was cute, it was an outdoor wedding/reception on the family ranch). It was cute and they didn't have to change out.
That's why there are ballet slippers. ;) I hate to see bare feet, stockinged feet, flip-flopped feet, sneakered feet etc at weddings and the club. YUK!!! Golly, gals, even Wal-Mart sells ballet slippers! Pick some up on your way to the shin-dig. Or keep your shoes on. :D

crwritt

One Too Many
JazzBaby said:
I think, for me, 4" shoes may result in a broken nose and some chipped teeth, counteracting any of the leg-lengthening beauty of such high heels. But I agree with TheKitchGoth - there's nothing funnier than watching someone tottering around in much too high heels. Watching someone who doesn't know how to walk properly in heels mince around a room is also quite amusing...lol. Of course, I would never let anyone know I was laughing at them...

Exactly. A lady can be quietly amused without laughing out loud at the expense of others.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
crwtt; Great pictures! Everyone looks great and having a wonderful time!

high-heeled shoes are a must for me! I'm sort of height deficient so having heels, I can at least talk eye to eye with most people! (the neck craning just sucks:rolleyes: :p )

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Since it's 2010 and not 1940, I mix over-the-top glamour with everyday housedresses and the like. Like today I have on a blue housedress from 1936 with VERY POOFY sleeves & peter pan collar, matching bold blue eyeshadow, and my platinum hair is done in a finger wave up front and pincurls at the back. I have on ankle socks and black flats (modern Merrells) and my pink "old lady" cardigan from Goodwill to top if off. I wear stuff like this every single day.

I don't do living history as I don't see the point. My husband does it and I've been along and I don't like the overall attitude. I also think it's boring :( I'm me everyday and if it ain't "right" LOOK THE OTHER WAY! :D

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread! Thanks for bumping it Lady Day.
I think as long as your comfortable with how you look thats the most important thing. I find I also get asked where I'm going even just wearing a housedress or just a skirt or blouse and heels. I think its the fact that most dress so casually these days even when going to weddings or other important events! The sight of someone just going about their ordinary daily business dressed smartly in vintage with hair done etc is somewhat a surprise to many. I love dressing smartly in vintage everyday as it makes me feel good about myself. I save the real glamour for special events, but I'm not above dancing around the house in a glamourous nighty. lol.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Glamour comes from within as much as from without. Slap a face full of make-up, dress and heels on a tomboy and she doesn't instantly become glamourous. I've been a hairdresser for 15 years. Glamour is nearly a job requirement. You're selling an image. I have friends who call me "Miss Glam" eventhough they've never seen me at my best. I don't do reenactment anymore (but it was never WWII) because of strict attitudes, at either end. There were people obsessed with authenticity and there were people who didn't give a darn. Nobody was there to have fun.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Even when I *try* to do glamour, strange things happen.

starstruck.jpg

(Not only did I get snubbed by a gorilla, later that night I had to unstop a drain. Tough to do that in a floor length gown and opera gloves.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth