Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Up with a twist, please.

I ordered a "Myers Dark straight up, and a Coke back", and the 21 something bartender brought it to me poured over shaved ice in a Martini glass, and a Coke! When I questioned this, I was told "That's how we make it here". I explained what "straight up" means, and he said that what I should have said was "neat".
At that point, I left.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
univibe88 said:
Vodka has been the bane of the cocktail for years. It seems that gin has made a comeback as of late. There are many more on the shelves than in years past. Unfortunately many of the new gins are made to be "smooth" in order to cater to the vodka market. Smooth = watered down and lacking flavor.

"Smooth" Gin is not watered down. Because of the popularity of premium Vodkas which are distilled multiple times to remove the congeners (toxic chemicals that are formed during fermentation that cause hangovers), Gin distillers are now multiple-distilling the Gin base alcohol to achieve the same end. They are also cutting down on the florals added, and raising the fruits. This has produced a distinct change in the "character" of many Gins.

CaptainB

Familiar Face
Yesterday I tried Hendrick's for the first time - I could make out the roses (lots of them), but not the cucumbers. Not that I'd call myself an expert, the only other gins I know are Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire.

Best regards,
Captain B

univibe88

One Too Many
CaptainB said:
Yesterday I tried Hendrick's for the first time - I could make out the roses (lots of them), but not the cucumbers. Not that I'd call myself an expert, the only other Gins I know are Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire.

Best regards,
Captain B

Garnish your drink with a cucumber, it will really bring it out.

CaptainB

Familiar Face
univibe88 said:
Garnish your drink with a cucumber, it will really bring it out.

I'll have to try this!

What's the best way to drink gin neat? From the freezer, with cubes, or at room temperature? What type of glass?

Best regards,
Captain B

univibe88

One Too Many
I don't know anyone who drinks it neat. Nor do I know anyone who drinks it at room temp. It's best for use as a base in cocktails like the martini, negroni, aviation, ramos gin fizz, gin and tonic, tom collins etc.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been drinking the New Amsterdam in my G&T's lately. I can get a handle for the price of a fifth of Tanq. and it holds up in the flavor dept.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
CaptainB said:
I'll have to try this!

What's the best way to drink gin neat? From the freezer, with cubes, or at room temperature? What type of glass?

Best regards,
Captain B

If I have it neat, I quite like it a room temperature.
That said I've only found a few that I would happily sip in this fashion.
I would tend to use a small tumbler.

Generally I mix and then it's kept in the freezer. (What will fit anyway)

I too can endorse the Hendrick's cucumber garnish, I have also had it garnished with strawberries and fresh rose petals.

CAREBEAR - I got a bottle of New Amsterdam last week and I am really enjoying it, seems to be getting a lot of promo in liquor stores around Florida. But it's good in a G &T - smooth and fresh and not bad on it's own.
Do you garnish your gin and tonic?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ethan Bentley said:
If I have it neat, I quite like it a room temperature.
That said I've only found a few that I would happily sip in this fashion.
I would tend to use a small tumbler.

Generally I mix and then it's kept in the freezer. (What will fit anyway)

I too can endorse the Hendrick's cucumber garnish, I have also had it garnished with strawberries and fresh rose petals.

CAREBEAR - I got a bottle of New Amsterdam last week and I am really enjoying it, seems to be getting a lot of promo in liquor stores around Florida. But it's good in a G &T - smooth and fresh and not bad on it's own.
Do you garnish your gin and tonic?

The New A. surprised me, I hate paying more for a name brand just "because". Always a pleasure to find a better deal.

I HAVE to try the cucumber, I see it as a garnish on a lot of different cocktails.

Typically I use limes, lately I've been buying little Key Limes about the size of a ping pong ball. I drink my G&T's out of pint glasses (doubles) so the juice of 1/2 goes in.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
carebear said:
The New A. surprised me, I hate paying more for a name brand just "because". Always a pleasure to find a better deal.

I HAVE to try the cucumber, I see it as a garnish on a lot of different cocktails.
It is good, other than with Hendricks my favourites would have to be with Pimm's or with a Cucumber "Martini" i.e. martini variant (cucumber vodka and vermouth). I find you don't need much with the Hendricks just a slice.

carebear said:
Typically I use limes, lately I've been buying little Key Limes about the size of a ping pong ball. I drink my G&T's out of pint glasses (doubles) so the juice of 1/2 goes in.

The pint glass sounds good to me :D Sometimes with limes I cut them into wedges and then freeze them. If I can do fresh I tend to.

There is a great G&T recipe in Ian Fleming's "Dr.No", a treat for a lime fan I'd expect. I'll try and post it soon.

JennyLou

Practically Family
CaptainB said:
Yesterday I tried Hendrick's for the first time - I could make out the roses (lots of them), but not the cucumbers. Not that I'd call myself an expert, the only other gins I know are Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire.

Best regards,
Captain B
Hendrick's Gin sounds like its worth a try. I have also only tried Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
"I always remember the disappointment when discovering Bombay sapphire was not Blue, and the embarrassment of having to ask if I could have some Blue curracao , in it please waiter?"
:D Yeah, Bombay Saphire was the first Gin I purchased years ago when I was of age to buy booze. I don't know whether I was more disappointed that only the bottle was blue, and not the liquor contained therein, or that said liquor tasted like chewing on a christmas tree. I never bought any gin at all for quite a while after that.

I like Hendrick's. I find Bombay overpowering. I guess that makes me a 'hipster' by default.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Don't be blue about Bombay.

What are people's thoughts on Bombay Dry?

1274.jpg

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Tried the Hendricks with and without the cucumber and to me it made a huge difference. Without it I was not impressed at all the taste was too watered down for me. But with the slice the gin really seemed to pop.

Selentino said:
Tried the Hendricks with and without the cucumber and to me it made a huge difference. Without it I was not impressed at all the taste was too watered down for me. But with the slice the gin really seemed to pop.

You didn't taste the cucumber in the gin by itself? It has it in there. [huh]
I like it plain rather than smothered with botanicals such as Bombay. [huh]

univibe88

One Too Many
Is this what you are talking about?

1110.jpg

If so, then it is easily available in the US. For some reason I don't think of it as Bombay "Dry." In the US if you want a drink with the gin pictured above, you would just order a "Bombay and Tonic." If you want Bombay Sapphire, you would order "Sapphire and Tonic."

Btw, I think it is terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust