Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & Barnes M422a, Us Wings $195

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I tried on a 40L and 42L, I and found both were a bit long in the body but need the long in order to have sleeves long enough for me. As a point of reference, I am 6'2" and 180 with a 42" to 43" chest. Long arms but short torso (high waisted). The 40L was very close but binding a bit in the shoulders. Several of the G&B staff looked at both sizes and advised a 42L over the 40L, although I was within a hair of going with the 40L.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Here a couple more marginal self taken shots that better illustrate the fit. The body length is an inch or so too long for my taste, although this is a stock jacket, not a custom fit.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I tried on a 40L and 42L, I and found both were a bit long in the body but need the long in order to have sleeves long enough for me. As a point of reference, I am 6'2" and 180 with a 42" to 43" chest. Long arms but short torso (high waisted). The 40L was very close but binding a bit in the shoulders. Several of the G&B staff looked at both sizes and advised a 42L over the 40L, although I was within a hair of going with the 40L.
You just described my size, ha ha I've been thinking about a G&B A-2 recently and this helps a lot with ordering the right size. For what it's worth, I think the lenght is just fine on you. I have found that sometimes what you think is not right is right.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You just described my size, ha ha I've been thinking about a G&B A-2 recently and this helps a lot with ordering the right size. For what it's worth, I think the lenght is just fine on you. I have found that sometimes what you think is not right is right.

If you buy a G&B A-2, the historic A-2 model 31 is a huge upgrade from the regular G&B A-2. The former has veg tanned goatskin and high grade wool knit cuffs and waistband, whereas the latter is chrome tanned goat with polyester knits. Difference is night and day, which is reflected in the price differential.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Fanch said:
If you buy a G&B A-2, the historic A-2 model 31 is a huge upgrade from the regular G&B A-2. The former has veg tanned goatskin and high grade wool knit cuffs and waistband, whereas the latter is chrome tanned goat with polyester knits. Difference is night and day, which is reflected in the price differential.
I hadn't realized the differences were so pronounced - thanks very much indeed!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Although this thread includes some discussion of A-2 jackets, it started with G-1 or M422. Here's a pair of White House photographers who were photographing JFK watching the America's Cup race in 1962. They are Chief Robert L. Knudsen & Captain Cecil Stoughton.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hello Gents and thanks for all the responses. I have contacted G & B and they have provided the dimentions for their 42 tall and 44 tall M422a jackets.

Now, I'm 6'3, 43 inch chest and weigh in at 102Kg (224Lbs). The dimentions of their jackets are as follows:-

Size 42T - Chest 54", waist 48", Shoulders 20.5", Sleave 38"back length 27.25"

Size 44T - Chest 56", Waist 50", Shouders 21", Sleave 38.5" Back Length 27.5" (Sleave and back includes the 3" knitted band)

Shoulders, sleave and back length seem ok but the chest and waist measurements seem vast! What do you think? The 42 looks like the closest fit but to me it still looks too blousey? I intend to wear just a shirt or T shirt under it in summer and maybe a light jumper in winter. What do you think?

regards

Garry

thor

Call Me a Cab
I'm 6'1" and weigh 210 with a 43" chest; I have had several G&B jackets, the A-2 model, and I went with the 42 Tall.
I would try the 42T; if it doesn't fit right, G&B has a good return/exchange policy. Good luck!

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Yes, I think Im just going to have to stop bumping my gums and take the plunge Thor, been sitting on this too long. The only problem is Im in Australia and returns can be expensive.

Cheers

Garry

Brettafett

One Too Many
I was kinda perplexed by the G&B sizing myself. Its like a puzzle, the only way to solve it would be to take a jacket in hand and go from there. If fit not right, then likely get it spot on second time around. However, like myself, being overseas, beware the import export return drama. I posted that Cockpit G-1 back 6 months ago and STILL have not heard a peep from the supplier! They have not even returned my emails and I am wondering if I will ever get a refund. I was very disappointed with the service and the $$$ its cost me over and above the jacket price plus postage (plus import duties and taxes, plus return postage... AND, they told me once I requested the refund, that they deduct a return handling fee of sorts!!!) So I lose in so many ways. Never again! The crew I bought it from was Americanequipage, anyone had a better experience?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Lord Flashheart, I think those chest and waist measurements might be incorrect. I have an Expedition (Indy) in 44T that is too big for me. I was at the G&B factory earlier this month and acquired a 42T "historic" A-2 in 42T, although even that is too big for me, and I just received a 40T yesterday and will return the 42T. As a point of reference, I am 6'2" and weigh 185. I have a 42" chest and 38" waist. I will post a new thread by next week and also provide measurements but can say the pit to pit is 25" for the 42T and 24" for the 40T if that helps. The thing I like about the historic A-2 is that it seems more tapered in the body and less blousy than some of their other jackets. The veg tanned goat is much nicer than their chrome tanned goat INO. The silk lining and wool knits complete the packet. In any case, the 40T fits me like a glove.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Brett, two years ago I bought a Cockpit HH A-2 from American Equipage; I didn't like the jacket so I exchanged it for a Cockpit Vintage G-1, no problemo. Of course, my transaction was an exchange not a refund so I'm not sure what went awry with your refund request.
Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all the size info. I measured myself a few days back and discovered I'm really a 41", 6'1", and 165 lbs - based on what's been said here it's more likely I'm a 40L than a 42L, at least with these jackets.

Also, it's nice to find people who are 'normal' sized: I've been a member of AAAC for many years and most people there seem to be 36S; as for Styleforum most of them are taller but skinnier and about 16 years old and prefer skin-tight clothing... not much useful size info to be gotten from either place, I'm afraid LOL

Deacon211

One Too Many
If we are still talking about the G+B G-1, I'd say that you can easily go a size down from your normal size as long as you aren't broad in the beam.

Depending on how much it runs you to send these things back and forth overseas, you may truly be better off getting a G-1 custom sized for you. It'd be worth it at least to ask how much extra it costs...just a thought.

Also, I finally got my US Wings A-2 for my wife. I have to say that it was really not bad and worth considering for their G-1 as well.

Deacon

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
When I visited the G&B factory just over three weeks ago, I found that I preferred their historic Navy M-422A over their current Navy G-1, and even over their AN-J-3. HOWEVER, I preferred their historic A-2 Mark 31 over everything else in their factory.

Deacon211

One Too Many
When I visited the G&B factory just over three weeks ago, I found that I preferred their historic Navy M-422A over their current Navy G-1, and even over their AN-J-3. HOWEVER, I preferred their historic A-2 Mark 31 over everything else in their factory.

Did you find that the M-422 fit closer than the G-1? My old 422 fits beautifully as the earlier pictures can attest.

I told the sales manager that I had wished that they still made their G-1s classically fit. I think the more input that they get, the more likely the possibility of them returning to (or at least offering) a military fit jacket again.

Deacon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth