Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson and Barnes Civil A2 and Air Force A2 Opinions???

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm a jacket person and if I had the moolah and the closet space I'd have 20 great jackets of all types. I've been thinking about getting an A2 for a while and it seems like the best bang for the buck is a Gibson and Barnes. They have some models that are $600 plus but others that look very nice for $335ish. Am I missing something?

You have to spend a lot of time reading, asking, and figuring out what it is YOU want in a jacket. It will change over time too - I know I started out with Avirex, USWings, etc. and eventually got sucked in to the more custom (expensive) brands. You have to consider price, color, hides, style, accuracy, etc. etc. Figure out what you want first, then narrow down the choices. Use "search" and read posts here. It will take a while to know what it is you're looking for. There's no simple answer to "why does one jacket cost $X and the other $XXX.

A G&B for instance tends to run in a modern cut - i.e., full (better if you're not a trim "fit" fella) Same with Avirex (The Cockpit). You also have Schott and USWings in the middle ground. I'd say most of the off the rack jackets run in this new, wider full cut.
Now, one that hasn't got a lot of attention is Bill Kelso. In the price range of ~$450 US, it seems to be a contender and good deal.

Check them out here.
I just bought one (for a friend, used, but like new) and will have it next week. I'll let you know what I think of it. There's ~3 threads here on them - use "search" to find them.
What size are you?

Last edited:

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm probably not going to get anything right now. I just got a Vanson Enfield on ebay because I wanted something to wear on my motorbike that wasn't armored and I expect I'll be wearing it off the bike too. I'm a 42 and am quite aware from reading about the "military" vs. relaxed fit issues. I'm not so much into historical accuracy as just having a nice, well made jacket to wear. (And I think I'd like a rayon or twill lining in the modern A2's as opposed to the historical cotton.) One nice thing about Gibson and Barnes is that they're located near me and I think one can go there and try stuff on. That would certainly allay any worries on that score.
P.S. I just ordered a dacron flight scarf from them. I used to have one a long time ago and have been looking for something similar. Without going the Isadora Duncan route, I like the way a rayon scarf billows when you're moving on a bike.

Last edited:
I'm probably not going to get anything right now. I just got a Vanson Enfield on ebay because I wanted something to wear on my motorbike that wasn't armored and I expect I'll be wearing it off the bike too. I'm a 42 and am quite aware from reading about the "military" vs. relaxed fit issues. I'm not so much into historical accuracy as just having a nice, well made jacket to wear. (And I think I'd like a rayon or twill lining in the modern A2's as opposed to the historical cotton.) One nice thing about Gibson and Barnes is that they're located near me and I think one can go there and try stuff on. That would certainly allay any worries on that score.
P.S. I'm about to order a rayon flight scarf from them. I used to have one a long time ago and have been looking for something similar. Without going the Isadora Duncan route, I like the way a rayon scarf billows when you're moving on a bike.

Dunno. Me, I don't want anything hanging around my neck when I'm riding that has even a 1% chance it could catch on something. Would make a great horror movie. Looks good on film, but no thanks. Unless it's tucked into the jacket of course...but then it won't do much billowing!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Dunno. Me, I don't want anything hanging around my neck when I'm riding that has even a 1% chance it could catch on something. Would make a great horror movie. Looks good on film, but no thanks. Unless it's tucked into the jacket of course...but then it won't do much billowing!

Thanks for caring but actually I don't have a death wish. I'm worried about getting sufficient wear out of my nice clothes as it is! I know it's sick, but I do try to recapture my lost youth sometimes and this is one safe way to do it. There's zero chance of a 12-18 inch scarf catching on anything (I'm on a Vespa) unless I'm doing some Yakima Canutt stunts (which I don't plan on doing).

Nah, I don't care. lol
I think many of us are here as we have fond memories and try to hold onto things we care about and remember fondly. But the nice part about getting older is you DO tend to get a little smarter...sometimes. :)

Monsoon

A-List Customer
I have a Civil A2 from G&B. I love it. Nice leather, good knits, and as you said, you get a lot of bang for your buck with it.

I'm currently USAF Aircrew and it's close to the one I was issued, but better leather (obviously) and my issue has a cotton tobacco brown lining.

If you can visit their showroom, just test drive a few and get the one you like the best.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
While I've read great things about G&B, the pictures on their website leave a lot to be desired. I wish they had fit pics like US Wings.

While I've read great things about G&B, the pictures on their website leave a lot to be desired. I wish they had fit pics like US Wings.

A great point. I'd argue that few makers have sufficient pics for sales. Seems really stupid too - that's how you sell your goods!

kojax

Practically Family
i have a a-2 gibson barnes in goatskin going on 5 years still going strong. real nice jacket

IXL

One Too Many
I figured you would show up here sometime soon! This place is much more dangerous than MV. Can you feel your credit card heating up already?
I've seen two G&B jackets and they looked quite good to me. I have one or two of them on my list, as well. If you live within riding distance then you really have no excuse not to visit the factory. G&B has so many "A..."-plus-something-else jackets that it's kind of hard to choose one.
By the way, I think someone mentioned them over on the MV jacket thread, but just in case you missed it, Insurrection Leather is in my experience a great place to order Vanson products: they put up with all of Vanson's crap so you don't have too. They also carry Aero and Schott.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I have 2 G&B Civil A2s made in goatskin, one a second hand size 40 brown, that fits nicely, so I ordered a new black one, the 40 was too large, so I sent it back for exchange for a size 38 which is the same size as the older brown 40.

The difference in cost between the Mark 31, 41, 43 A2 and Civil A2 is in part due to: 1. Horsehide or Veg tanned goatskin vs chrome tanned aniline dyed goatskin. 2. Polyester lining. 3. The knits are 100 % wool on the military model. (vs synthetic nylon on the Civil A2)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82