Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Dieter, Thanks! Did you notice the alternate spelling "Huthmacher" rather than "Hutmacher"? I did some searching I did see this spelling back in the 1700s. I will take a photo with the Dreispitz but you have too since you are Dreispitz!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Dieter, Thanks! Did you notice the alternate spelling "Huthmacher" rather than "Hutmacher"? I did some searching I did see this spelling back in the 1700s. I will take a photo with the Dreispitz but you have too since you are Dreispitz!

O.K., I will get one when next in Augsburg :cool:

Up to the late 19c there was no standardised German orthography. That started with Konrad Duden in the 1880ies. Huth was pronounced like Hut. Not to be mistaken with English pronunciation, however. :)

Last edited:

azhiker

One of the Regulars
Hello all, I am new to Germany, though not to the lounge. I arrived in country with only two hats, (my others are being shipped with my air shipment). Does anyone know of any good hattters in or near Frankfurt am Main? I can travel, and of course, I can order online, but I miss Henry the Hatter in Detroit already! Thanks for your help in advance.

Echter Rockel Wildleder Velourette

Size 58cm, Greenish blue.

5708460724_69fed6da43_b.jpg

5708461322_de4a44db04_b.jpg

5708146635_46ca0c8251_b.jpg

5708461930_7b1f9fa073_b.jpg

5707897695_af9d27a44d_b.jpg

5708464266_4d456a8494_b.jpg

5708462432_3fbec32178_b.jpg

Hatophile, Thanks! I really like the color too. Also very nice finish.

Bowlerman, Thanks! I have actually found some of my finest vintage German / Austrian hats on US eBay. They are not common but I like the hunt. :)

That really is a beauty, Steve. I'm sure you are much more experienced with this than me, but I've had good success subduing moth damage on velour hats by pricking the flattened area with a sharp needle point followed by steaming and brushing.

cheers,
Alan

Using a sharp needle to gently lift fibers of the compressed felt can help to mask moth nibbles. Works quite well on a velour or sueded felt - less so on a smooth finely pounced felt and if the area of damage is large... at least with my level of skill and experience.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hm, I don´t know where to put it. Guess it fits in here .... He is the ex boy- friend of one of my relatives ... I simply adore his voice...

[video=youtube;yUI2TgJ7cuE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUI2TgJ7cuE&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

RobStC

A-List Customer
Alert: Lots of German and Austrian hats on sale in Edinburgh (Scotland).

For anyone in or around Edinburgh (Scotland) who may like German or Austrian hats, Armstrongs - the vintage clothing shop in the Grassmarket and also the branch in Clerk Street, have a fresh load of these hats. About 20 to 30 in each shop.

Lots of Alpine type velours, fedoras and Homburgs. Huckel, Peschel, Mayser, Ruckel? etc etc, plus the odd German made Stetsons. Condition seems to vary widely, from very good to pretty poor - there was one really nice long haired fedora that looked to be 20's or early 30's, but unfortunately with large semi bald patches where the moths had trimmed the fur!

Prices seem to be between £8~ and upper limit of £22~ or so.

Happy hunting to anyone who can check it out in person.....
The hats are only in the shops mentioned, not on the Armstrongs website, unfortunately.

RobStC

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Pre WWII Austrian / German Velours of any style/ size /condition are rare. It would be nice to see photos of these hats especially the old balding one. :)

RobStC

A-List Customer
Thanks for the info! Pre WWII Austrian / German Velours of any style/ size /condition are rare. It would be nice to see photos of these hats especially the old balding one. :)

Will try to get some time over the next couple of days to go back and check through them again, and will try also to get some photos. Didn't have much time today, so only managed to get an overview. Did buy one fedora (charcoal gray with silver mid-width ribbon and narrow edge binding, Herm. v. Heesen - Bochum, labelled 'Meteor' on the sweatband. Looks quite similar to some 50's Borsalino's I've got, but with nice detailing on the ribbon.....). So a return visit won't exactly be a hardship :)

RobStC

Rob, That would be fantastic if you could take some photos. Can you please post photos (side, front, liner, sweat, paper label behind the sweat) of the "Meteor" Fedora you picked up? I have some German hats with unique names and no hat company mentioned. A hatter friend in Germany said that gave individual shops something unique to market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007