Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Paddy, Great finds! The Rockel does have a super look. I think you are correct about late 50s.

Daniele, Thanks for providing the translation of this great material! By the way a very similar situation to what is reported in the Ottmar Reich book regarding the late 19th and onward. You should also post this in the Italian makers thread if you haven't already done so.

C. G. Wilke Velourhüte, C. G. Wilke Lodenhüte Postcard (1932)

13667517585_ef0aafd7d1_b.jpg

13667513105_2d35d94d0b_b.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nice scores Paddy, those with small noggins should be breaking your doors down.

Steve, can't read the post card but guessing it translates into something like "Check hat this BITCH'N new hat!" ;)

Thanks! Yes in a nut shell!

Front

Wilke Velour hats, Wilke Loden hats can't be destroyed through wear

My hat is a Wilke,
Wilke is my hat,
And if it's not a Wilke,
It's not my hat

Back

The Wilke hat has been Germany's top brand for over 100 years.

As you have seen over time, I (Franz Rumpf) deliver the top German factory labor produces.

The latest models have arrived. The one for you is waiting, so please come and visit.

Side Note: I have a similar Wilke Velour (mine is black) to the one the man is wearing in the photo. What is interesting is the hat is being worn without side dents. I was surprised that the felt on mine was on the stiffer side (crown still easily takes side dents ) so it appears it was designed to be worn brim up with no side dents. A stiffer soft felt hat (by the way felt stiffness has NOTHING to do with quality)! Here it is with side dents.

9605170261_cfab144382_b.jpg

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Ok so I know not a popular style of hat at all but this felt is incredible, made by Hückel 60's I would guess with its glued liner.

The felt is almost silk plush like in its finish. It is so soft to touch, and feels like my Lock & Co Silk Top Hat.

13737832234_5a049dcfce_b.jpg

Huertecilla

Banned
Allthough a new hat and such for the new hat thread it is also a German one and putting it here directly instead of on both clutters even less :cool:

Right, the hat;

$_57.JPG

I had it in my favourites but as the seller also had a very neat 6ties straw ladies hat (sorry no photo as it is not german made) and a delightfull 6ties embroidered butterfly tunic, I asked her about a combined deal/shipping.
Shortcutting a highly amusing story about french-english, two not native speakers and a mix up of dollars versus euros I received a quote way lower than the offer I would have started with. I confirmed, she confirmed etc. so I seem to have acquired two hats and, a tunic and hopefully a happy bunny gf for a bargain price.

Back to the german one:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82