Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Ole, Thanks! I think it might contain a light weight reed. It definitely keeps the top of the sweatband from touching the liner while creating an air cushion (self conforming? :) ). I have only seen JHS use this type of sweatband on stiff felts. Here is another example.

9248129246_53dc6f7b04_b.jpg

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Ole, Thanks! I think it might contain a light weight reed. It definitely keeps the top of the sweatband from touching the liner while creating an air cushion (self conforming? :) ). I have only seen JHS use this type of sweatband on stiff felts. Here is another example.

Very interesting, thanks! I guess, the reed makes it difficult to turn the sweat out - but beautiful it is, and probably effective too. Love the vent-perforation on the latest pic, btw. ;)

Richard, Thanks!

Ole, Thanks! I checked on the sweat I posted above and I am pretty sure it's a reed. Here is a photo of where it joins at the back.

9245348605_fb269ef1ae_b.jpg

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Here is a photo of where it joins at the back.

Steve, how do you do that? I wasn't even wearing my tinfoil hat ... and yet you read my thoughts like an open book! Thanks a lot for sharing - and for being persistent in your help. Your person and knowledge are no doubt very valuable and appreciated assets to this community :)

You get total credit for pointing it out. I don't believe I haven't seen this before so it might have been an exclusive to JHS stiff felt hats. I will have to do some checking. JHS pushed the overall flexibility (Flexible, Elastic) and light weight (Plume) aspects of their stiff felts.

Here is another one from a JHS Elastic Melone.

5906628800_3cfb65970b_b.jpg

Last edited:
I think Elastic is related to the felt but it could have something to do with sweatband. I believe I only have one Elastic model. I have Flexible models without the double reed sweatband.

5962193776_399e98877a_b.jpg

3942448788_2cef7145a8_b.jpg

In general the JHS Melone are not as stiff as what you see from other makers. The feather weight ones like this Plume actually wear more like soft felt hats. This one doesn't have such a sweatband.

7140190815_058ff9382b_b.jpg

7140186993_9846d2f966_b.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Luzena Cap arrived today. Very nice Cap, never worn. I guess it is old stock.
The Cap has no Label inside and so wie have no answer who made it. I guess it's the Lunzenauer Mützenfabrick Kern.
Look the Cap logo and the City Logo both are the same! I steamed the Cap and it has a nice shape now!
I think It's a 50s Cap!

City Logo
x45h.png
[/IMG]

Now the Cap Picture!
zfu5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88