Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Brüder Böhm Wien - Neutitschein Stamp (early 1900s)

9018183097_7007c36b03_o.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Justin, Alan, Mike and Richard, many thanks for the kind words about the Mayser, I really appreciate them. Thanks!

Steve, sorry, I was so happy about the hat I forgot it! :eusa_doh:

vnm.jpg

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thinking earlier than 39' and if we had the original liner to reference that would narrow it down a bit. I have several earlier G.A. Dunn & Co. examples we can reference. Let me know if you find anything under the sweatband and I'll check it against the stuff I've got here.

J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) wasn't nationalized as TONAK until after WWII. It could be a JHS but the sweatband is not typical. It is possible whoever made it used G.A. Dunn & Co sweatbands (not the original liner). The major Novy Jicin, Czecho-Slovakia (Neutitschein, Austria before WWI) pre WWII Velour makers were JHS, A. Peschel and Brüder Böhm. My guess is either JHS, A. Peschel or Brüder Böhm. :) By the way great find!

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Thank you very kindly for the information Garret and Mayser. I'm happy to know theres a good chance it came from one of the hatmakers you've listed, from the velours you've posted before I know that they made a high quality hat.

Thanks again, I'll be sure to post whatever I can find underneath the sweatband after it arrives stateside.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Yea that was odd argument to make, Austrian velours were of such acclaim that GA dunn Co. apparently released their own line of them, why wouldnt he let the factories that already had the years of experience making them do the finishing.

I havent seen another velour posted yet thats been better than the I believe it was crystal? velour you've posted previously. Let alone the pictures you took of the velour bowlers in the museum.

A while back I came across a 1930s UK government study on the dominance of Austrian Velour. They couldn't understand how their makers were never able to get the same results as the Novy Jicin / Neutitschein makers. I wish I had made a copy because I couldn't find it when I searched for it again a few months ago. In my opinion JHS's highest quality finishes were the finest (see below). I also have some really great Velour from Germany like my Mayser Talpa.

Hückel Superior Crystall Velour

4710377722_9fa5dfe698_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth