Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Generation Y?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was born in 1980, so I claim Gen. X. I mean, it was January. At best I'm a cusp, I guess. (Same with my astrological sign, not that I believe in that claptrap!)

jayem

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
once my friends and i entired college we kinda took a step up from casual...no more baggy jeans, tall tees or xxxxxxxl sweatshirts...all born in '87...

Agreed! I think once you hit the 20-21yr old mark, you realize shopping in the juniors section is kind of... immature?

Flivver

Practically Family
It's unlikely that anyone here will look exactly like the typical discription of the generation we were born into. I know I don't.

The way we came up with our generational discriptors was to study the growing-up experience of people born since 1900. Similar growing-up experience equals similar values. But if your growing-up experience differed from the norm, you won't share values with your designated cohort.

Our research indicates that about 60% of people born into a given generation resemble it to a certain degree. That's very helpful when designing products that a large number of people will want. So the analysis *can* be quite useful.

The generations we came up with (U.S. and Canada only) in our study broke out like this:

Flapper Generation born 1900-1914

Depression Generation born 1915-1934

Quiet Generation born 1935-1945

Baby Boomers born 1946-1964

Generation X born 1965-1977

Generation Y born 1978-1994

I have used this model to help understand car buying behavior and have found it to be quite useful.

Mr. Paladin

Nice to read posts from youngsters who can write appropriately, dress well, and reject the "style" of the street punks. I have yet to hook up a well-dressed, well-spoken teen for much of anything. (Well, maybe the occasional MIP/C.) Nice to see them here!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I was born in 1980, so I claim Gen. X. I mean, it was January. At best I'm a cusp, I guess. (Same with my astrological sign, not that I believe in that claptrap!)

Nope, too late. Generation X - as defined, I believe, by Douglas Coupland, if memory serves - is 1963 through 1977, or, more strictly speaking, those of us born between the Jack Kennedy assassination and the release of Star Wars.

Geesie

Practically Family
I was born in 1981 and I have little in common with X and just as little in common with Y.

To me, Y grew up with personal computers as the norm and communism as a memory. those of us born about 77-84 still remember the USS and the Berlin Wall.

From the Wiki, I think that a better demarcation would be MTV Generation, 1975-1985 (which would place it between X and Y, which is how I feel).
it can either be seen as a cusp between Generation X (1961-1981) and the Millennial Generation (1982-2001)...
The last generation to appreciate its significance in a changing culture, specifically the shift from the hardwired, analogue technologies to the wireless, Digital Revolution; the last generation to grow up with such semi-obsolete items of the pre-digital era as VHS tapes, audio cassettes and vinyl records...
The fall of the Berlin Wall November 9, 1989 and German reunification on October 3, 1990. - One of the two major moments to define the MTV Generation, The end of the Cold War and break up of the Soviet Union, The First Gulf War, The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989

Another suggestion is Cold Y,
Several sociologists have postulated the existence of a small generational subset falling at the start of Generation Y, at the point at which Yers are not yet distinguished from Generation Xers.
This generation was the very last to obtain cognizance or self-awareness before the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 and the end of the Cold War in 1991.
They were also the last to have an idea of a pre-informational society, as the Internet, cable and other technologies caused a complete saturation of media between about 1988 and 1995.
They were the final generation to be able to compare and contrast the late Cold War/Space Age society with the Post-Cold War/Information Age society using their own personal experiences and memories.

In many areas, Cold Y seems to embrace the more cynical world view exhibited by X while rejecting some of what they view as crassness or immoderation

Although I think the 75-85 MTV Generation is the way I most feel.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Edward said:
Nope, too late. Generation X - as defined, I believe, by Douglas Coupland, if memory serves - is 1963 through 1977, or, more strictly speaking, those of us born between the Jack Kennedy assassination and the release of Star Wars.

Ah. I believe the beginning of this post defined Gen X as ending in 1979 and Gen Y starting in 1980? I was going by that.
And the above post seems to end Gen X at 1981.
So I suspect it's not an exact science!

How bout if I just claim neither. :rolleyes:

I do like the Mtv Generation, above. The mix tape will be sorely missed as a method to express love. :)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa said:
I refuse to be called Generation Y.

So there.

And I refuse to be called "Generation X", since, as I'd always heard, the "Baby Boomer" generation lasted until 1965, and I was born in 1963.

Lee

EDIT: Okay, 1964, then. :eusa_doh: But still. . . .

EDIT 2:
Edward said:

Thanks, Edward, you have officially vindicated me, even though I was born in 1963, because I was born four months, to the day, before JFK was assassinated. . . . I have no alibi.

Edward

Bartender
lol The more I read, the more varied the demarcation lines seem to be. It does indeed appear to be a rather nebulous concept!

Flivver

Practically Family
It *is* a rather nebulous concept if based on only a few common early life experiences.

In our research, we not only did an exhaustive study of early life experience, we also studied the resulting value set and behavior of each generation. That's why the years of demarcation I listed may not match some of the pop culture-originated stuff.

Also, birth years within two years or so of a transition from one generation to another can go either way. It often has to do with age relation to siblings or age of best friends when growing up. A 1965 birth will likely look like a Boomer if they are the youngest among older Boomer siblings. But if they are the oldest with Gen X siblings, their values often tend more toward Gen Y.

None of this is an exact science, though, and it seldom works flawlessly at the individual level. But at the group level (millions) it works quite well, and can even be used with scenario analysis to help predict future behavior.

And, the generational boundries I listed were derrived for the U.S. and Canada only. Early life experience in another country would be different from that in North America, so the generational boundries and the resulting values and beavior there will be different as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld