Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General fit criteria -- What are yours?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Some like it tight, some like it roomy, some like it short, some like it long, some like it really long, I guess if you decide to wear leather jacket as part of your everyday outfit, you have decided long time ago that opinions of others don't matter :Dwhy do many here still ask about how their new jacket fit while they already know the answer the first time they try it on and nothing will change their mind.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes, if it's a marginal call, then the Lounge can make a difference in giving the owner the confidence - especially if the style is one they're not used to. That said, there have been times when some members have posted jackets quite happy about the way it looks, only to have their confidence crushed by the others. So it cuts both ways *shrugs*.

CBI

One Too Many
Depends on the type of jacket. As I get older, I have been lucky to maintained my weight and shape however, with age (in my case) comes a greater interest in comfort so I am leaning towards roomier fits. That said, having a trim leather jacket conform to one's body from wear (or HWT) can be very comfortable. Also, I am moving away from short waisted jackets as I think I personally look better with something long(er). I have also been burned WAAAAAY too many times with vintage jackets that are so sort as to be impractical to own. Either vintage styles with an inch or two added in length or just a longer jacket style. This sucks as it limits my military options but that's OK. I see no "evidence" to suggest that to be vintage, things need to fit super snug as there are a gazillion period pics of all sorts of outfits with all sort of fits. Trim, yes, but things can get a little out of hand IMO. I'm sure in many cases back in the day, the size options available at any given shop or from the Quartermaster were limited so one got what they got! Yes, people DID use tailors more but still..................a bit of room and length is fine........at least for my ideal fit.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How it feels when you slip it on is the most important criteria. I've owned jackets that I haven't been completely crazy about in terms of material or color but that got worn a lot more often than some others simply because I liked the way they fit me.

I have found the forum to be invaluable in my leather jacket pursuits. Especially around the fit of my Orchard A2. Without the forum I would have abandoned wearing it as it just seemed too small. But after reading the posts and viewing many jackets in the posts I have relaxed somewhat. It does fit me I just need get used to the slimmer military fit. It is different from my other jackets. I did not post directly about my jacket but used the available info. It was a great help.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Fit is a highly strange beast isn't it? I have found that sometimes the least comfortable jacket looks the best on and the most comfortable one looks pretty ordinary. Also body shape is critical in this. I'm roughly the same weight I was 25 years ago - which is fairly thin and I don't enjoy a tight jacket that accentuates my thinness. So I generally prefer a slightly looser fit (which is never baggy) since that looks as evil on a thin person to me as the sausage, hipster, Japanese, tailored, Mick Jagger, tight fit (did I leave anything out?) does. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82