Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaining/maintaining weight? Slowing down metabolism?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
You mentioned that you eat a lot throughout the day...this actually increases your metabolism...snacking makes your body constantly burning 'fuel' which means your metabolism kicks into high gear.
Here's some things I've read about to help put on some extra weight...
#1. skip breakfast
#2. eat late at night ( my grandfather got hooked on eating hot cocoa and toast every night- though be careful! he actually became very overweight!)
#3. excerise less.
#4. increase the fat content in your diet (this doesn't mean necessarily fast food either, include healthy fats such as olive oil.)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I am another one who used to be thin and gained a lot of weight. However, after I hit 30 or so it was my thyroid that stopped working right. I used to get accused of anorexia and bulimia my friends, especially if I lost a little weight while I was in my teen and 20's.

You said you got your thyroid checked, and it was ok. Keep getting it checked once a year or so especially if you have problems like rapid heart beat, being overly warm, etc. You never know when it might become a problem, a full metabolic panel is a good idea.

I've heard that soy, although good for you can slow down your thyroid (bad for me, but good for you), so maybe adding soy protein to your diet for extra calories could help.

Also, I don't know your lifestyle, but you should try doing a food diary to see what you are actually eating. It may be that you are living a hectic life and even though you aren't hungry that you aren't eating the right foods. I know that if you get stressed out it is hard to eat because you have no appetite.

Also, have you asked you doctor why you are underweight? And is it a serious problem, or is it just that people are bugging you about being thin? I have a friend who is trying to gain weight who gets harassed by strangers about her weight. I mean, she was at Starbucks recently drinking a caramel latte with whipped cream and some guy was giving her a hard time about her weight (she's 5'6" and less than 100 lbs) and she was astounded --I mean it wasn't like she was dieting or something, she had whipped cream! If that is your problem, ignore people who should be keeping their mouth's shut. Listen to your doctor instead.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Are you sure you are actually underweight? My roommate is 5'5" and weighs 100 lbs, which is pretty thin. She weighed under 100 lbs until she moved to college, actually, and though she's thin, it's an appropriate weight for her (she is half Chinese/half German and both of her parents are very thin). Though technically she is underweight for her height, she is healthy, eats well and is happy. She sometimes freaks out and gets self-concious about her thinness, but she doesn't have anything to worry about.

I know I definitely think I'm overweight sometimes because of my body shape. It's something I'm working on dealing with. Like others have said, maybe you should not worry about putting on weight and instead focus on being happy with yourself. All shapes and sizes are beautiful, including our own, which is something every woman can easily forget.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Originaly by Pigeon Toe - I know I definitely think I'm overweight sometimes because of my body shape. It's something I'm working on dealing with. Like others have said said:
Pigeon Toe-I have seen your avatars you have had and you are not overweight!

Brooksie

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
as for yoga classes, it really helps to take classes somewhere first, even if it's one session of more expensive classes, to make sure you're doing things right and get some direction. you really, really want to make sure you're doing things right. then, you'll be off on the right foot to practice at home.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Brooksie said:
Pigeon Toe-I have seen your avatars you have had and you are not overweight!

Brooksie

Yeah, I realize that now! It's hard though when you lose a lot of weight (to the point where it's unhealthy -- I was on a medication that made me lose my appetite) and then gain it all back. It's strange having to adjust!

The point of the matter is, we should all try harder to love and accept ourselves the way we are! :)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Take it easy!

NicolettaRose said:
I was just wondering if you gals had any suggestions for gaining/maintaining weight? Or very specifically slowing down your metabolism?> This is very hard for me to do, I really eat a ton, but when ever I go through stress/get sick/ other things I tend to loose very fast. When I loose weight, my friends and parents get on my back and tell me to eat more, when I already do up to 10 times a day The only reason that I am at a healthy weight right now is because I eat like a horse. I would really like to start working out, but its always so hard since I feel like I have to stop to eat every half an hour.Also think this is something that is genetic, because both my mother and father are very thin, my parent's metabolism's have hardly slowed down. I know its not my thyroid, cause that has been tested.My friends just tell me to eat a big mac and some fries, but this is not good for my heart.

Can any suggest ways to slow down the metabolism? or Maybe just some foods that would be better to eat? I feel like my life is run around food, and I am eating all of the right stuff, carbs, protien, whole grains, yogurt, fruit, nuts, meat, I eat a huge breakfast...I have tried ensure/protien shakes, but these don't....Any suggestions for would be greatly appreciated..

What I know is this:
Traditionally (that would be vintage lol) , physical culturalists categorized three body types: ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs. Ectomorphs are body types such as yourself: wiry folk who experience difficulty putting and/or keeping weight on their frames. (FYI, mesomorphs are the ones with the athletic bodies even if they're not athletes which is true more often than you might think and endomorphs are those who have fuller body elements whether they lift weights and run obsessively or lift the chip to the lip and keep the couch from floating up in defiance of gravity.)
These basic types are fact.
Having confirmed that there are no organic issues such as an overactive thyroid, the best way to proceed is to eat. Eat three high calorie meals and three high calorie snacks every day. You are right to avoid buying more trouble by consuming the wrong fats. However, I would suggest rather than focusing on the macronutrients of whole foods in the three main meals about which you are already being sensible, you look more toward keeping you meals balanced and use high calorie snacks such as protein bars (Myoplex is one example of a protein bar that packs a power punch of targeted calories) for any time between meals or directly after calorie burning cardio activities such as after swimming.
While it is true that as the body ages it produces less HGH (human growth hormone) and metabolism slows down, for an ectomorph that usually means skinny limbs and torso with protruding bellies [bad]. Furthermore, you really need to be developing and training your body now.
Even so, I strongly discourage you from weight lifting unless it is with very light weight because I believe such an activity will aggravate and possibility exacerbate the fibromyalgia. Keep muscle tone through the lengthening/stretching movements of hatha yoga, an excellent body movement for your body type - especially with fibromyalgia and stress management concerns! I would also recommend you consider Cooley's The Genius of Flexibility as part of your physical regimen.
Whatever you choose to do and how ever you choose to address the issue, please remember to work with your body. Your instincts are good: lengthen, stretch, relax your whole body on a regular basis AND fuel your body as it needs fueling with appropriate foods. The protein bars should provide your body with the dense sustenance that it craves.
Please keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
I hate to bring this topic back but I was trying to find ideas to gain weight too, the only reason I think I need to gain weight is cuz I'm usually always dizzy, weak and faint feeling, if I don't eat as soon as I get up, I feel like I'm going to faint... if lunch rolls around and I'm a few minutes late eating, I feel sour all over and weak and faint, I've had tests done and they said my metabolism is too fast, I'm 5'9" and weigh about 117, I eat like a pig and I eat both healthy and junk food and nothing helps, I don't exercise much either..if at all... so yes, being thin or overweight, I think we all have problems, and that we shouldn't focus so much on what we look like but more how we feel, in my case, I feel like crap usually so that's why I want to put on some weight to see if that helps me out, I used to be 105 a few years ago and I would always fall over just walking so whatever I did to gain that extra 12 pounds helped but I think I need more... I'm sick of people being jealous over my thinness too, if they only knew how horrible I really feel... :(

I honestly don't understand societies views on how a woman looks, we're WOMEN, that's why most women have extra weight cuz we HAVE to, how else could we sustain a child during pregnancy? Seriously... plus I think I'd look better anyway if I had more weight... I pray no one is offended, cuz no one should be, it's a serious topic, not one to compare ourselves with each other and be jealous or angry about... I just want to feel better from now on ...

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just stole this from about.com:

What To Eat To Gain Weight

Increasing your intake of junk foods and greasy foods is not a good way to gain weight. Junk foods usually contain unhealthy trans fats or saturated fats. Even though you need to increase your calorie consumption to gain weight, those calories should come from foods that are good for you.

Healthy fats include omega-3 essential fatty acids sources like tuna, salmon, flax, and walnuts. Good sources of protein include lean meats, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds and legumes. Healthy carbohydrate sources include fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

It may be easier to eat five or six smaller balanced meals per day rather than eating three large meals, especially if you are not used to eating much at one sitting.

Protein powders and nutritional supplement drinks such as Ensure can be added as in-between meal snacks if you still need more calories. Some protein powders are flavored and only need added water and some others can be blended with your choice of juice or milk to improve the taste.

It would also be a healthy idea to add a small amount of flax seed oil and some psyllium powder to add some omega-3 essential fatty acids and extra fiber.

Dietary Supplements and Gaining Weight

A high-quality multivitamin and mineral supplement is a good idea to make sure you are getting all of the vitamins and minerals you need. Some people find that their muscle mass increases with protein supplements that contain certain blends of amino acids such as creatine and glutamine. Some people who are very ill may need liquid nutritional preparations that are available through their doctors.

Resistive Exercise To Gain Weight

Exercise is also important for healthy weight gain. Resistance training exercises such as lifting weights will help to increase your muscle size. Aerobic exercises such as running and stationary bicycling are better for fat loss and excessive aerobic training may cause you to lose more weight. Resistance training can be done at a health club, gym or at home with the proper equipment.

Remember that it can take a while to gain the weight you need, but be patient and continue to choose healthy foods until you reach your goal weight.

Tools to Help You Gain Weight

Use these tips and tools to help gain weight:

* Start with this Calorie and Nutrition Guide to find out how many calories you will need to reach the weight you desire.
* Use a food diary to track your calorie intake to be sure you are getting all of the calories and foods that you need.
* You can also use an online program such as Calorie Count Plus to track your calorie intake, your exercise and your changes in weight. Calorie Count Plus has a large data base of nutrition information for almost any food you like to eat.
* Add healthy calories to breakfast with an extra slice of whole-grain toast and peanut butter.
* Mid-morning and afternoon snacks should be nutritious, not junk. Trail mixes contain healthy nuts, dried fruits and can add healthy calories to your diet.
* Don't add calories to your meals by choosing unhealthy fried foods such as french fries, chicken nuggets and fish sticks. Choose healthy foods such as baked potatoes, baked chicken and fish, just make your portions a bit bigger.
* Keep your meals balanced. One meal should have a healthy protein source such as fish, low fat meat, chicken or legumes plus two or three servings of vegetables. Green vegetables add lots of vitamins and phytonutrients while starchy potatoes and corn add extra calories.
* Drink healthy beverages such as milk and fruit juices to add calories. Don't choose sugary sodas, which only add calories and no nutrition.
* Design a weight training program with help from About.com's exercise site and our weight training site.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I really, really sympathise with this Nicoletta.I had the exact same problem for years and even in my mid-thirties now I'm still pretty skinny and still eat twice as much as most people I know, although I'm pretty happy with it these days. I never found a miracle weight-gain option, but eating something very carb and calorie heavy just before bed always seemed like a good idea - something like rice (or rice pudding!). I would still wake up starving in the morning (my metabolism can even burn fuel while I sleep!) but it's worth a shot - some of those calories must stick! I don't have any evidence to prove this works - I always avoided weighing myself so I didn't get too fixated on whether i was 'failing' or succeeding'.

It's understandably difficult for other people to sympathise with how having to eat a lot can be hard, but it is very awkward sometimes - if I have to go into a 3 hour meeting at work I get panicky that I'll start to feel faint or, worse, fall asleep if I don't get to eat before/during the meeting! Also, out and about it can get expensive having to buy food constantly - I try to remember to carry cereal bars or bananas with me but I usually forget. Anyway, I hope you find some of the suggestions here useful - I'm sure that others are right when they suggest you see a nutritionist. Try to still enjoy your food whenever possible - I know how eating can be become a real chore when you have to eat so much. Have some treats!

jtcarrey

A-List Customer
MissHannah said:
It's understandably difficult for other people to sympathise with how having to eat a lot can be hard, but it is very awkward sometimes - if I have to go into a 3 hour meeting at work I get panicky that I'll start to feel faint or, worse, fall asleep if I don't get to eat before/during the meeting! Also, out and about it can get expensive having to buy food constantly - I try to remember to carry cereal bars or bananas with me but I usually forget.

That's exactly me!! Wow, thought I was the only one, good to know other people suffer from this as well....well it's not GOOD but it's good to know I'm not the only one...

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'm the same way!

I've seen a doctor, a nutritionist, homeopath...you name it. I don't have a thyroid problem or anything, and my diet is fine (healthier than average, even). I'm just a healthy, skinny girl! None of my immediate family members ever had my metabolism, but I think a few people from my father's family had it.

Integrating some weights into my exercises definitely helps me look healthier. My limbs are still pretty scrawny, but my core muscles are really strong. I still do cardio exercise, just because it's sooo important in keeping my mood up and my stress down.

A lot of people say to just eat more fat, but I don't believe in that. Good fats like olive oil are great, though. I think eating more protein is the healthy way to go. The snacks I keep on hand are usually protein-rich foods like nuts.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
MissHannah said:
It's understandably difficult for other people to sympathise with how having to eat a lot can be hard, but it is very awkward sometimes - if I have to go into a 3 hour meeting at work I get panicky that I'll start to feel faint or, worse, fall asleep if I don't get to eat before/during the meeting! Also, out and about it can get expensive having to buy food constantly - I try to remember to carry cereal bars or bananas with me but I usually forget. Anyway, I hope you find some of the suggestions here useful - I'm sure that others are right when they suggest you see a nutritionist. Try to still enjoy your food whenever possible - I know how eating can be become a real chore when you have to eat so much. Have some treats!

Ahhh, me too!!

I got that faint, exhausted feeling the other day at work, and when I was trying to explain to someone WHY I immediately needed to run downstairs and grab some nuts, no one had any idea what I was talking about. I'm pretty sure they all thought I was just slacking and asking for an extra break, when in reality, I felt like I was going to pass out any moment.

When I played soccer years ago, I used to have to run to the sidelines in the middle of the games to eat!

As much as I love food, eating really CAN be a chore when you have to do it constantly.

My life seems to revolve around food, I just can't help it!! It used to be that I couldn't eat when I was having one of my 'ill times' but now it's completely the other way. Some of you mentioned that when you hit 30 you put on eight, are you sure that it's not 25??

To make i worse, I just started work in a Patisserie :eusa_doh: If you have any requirements for cake let me know!

I hope you get things sorted, I know how awful it can be (I used to be stick thin with hip bones & everything!!)

Pie & cake is my advice :D

zaika

One Too Many
I feel your pain, but only because a good friend of mine is the same way. She is super thin, but it's just the way she's always been...and trust me, the girl can EAT. She keeps it healthy, though, and figures that she'll gain weight later in life...or maybe after having a kid or two. ;)
I'm reading a great book called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." It's designed for bodybuilders and folks who have fat to burn (i.e. not the ectomorphs...which is what you sound like). It's a really intuitive, common sense book, and it's been helping me.
The author, Tom Venuto, wrote a chapter about body types...and he had some tips for ectomorphs on how to gain weight/muscle. So...maybe this can help a little.

Less activity (not couch potato level, just slow it down)

Extra sleep (sleep on a regular schedule/take naps)

Reduce stress (i think we can all use this one)

Avoid overtraining (he says that folks with your body type respond best to brief, high intensity programs...not daily or "marathon" workouts)

Keep cardio exercise to a minimum (15-30 mins a day/3x a week he says is best)

High calories/never skip a meal (high calorie dense foods, moderate amounts of good fats like nuts, seeds, peanut butter, salmon)

Eat more complex carbohydrates (50-55% of diet should come from complex carbs)

Pay attention to food quality (i.e. keep it healthy!)

Hope you find something that works!

Smuterella

One Too Many
looking at myself now its funny to think I used to be too thin, for me it was simply getting older that did it, and did it a little too much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82