Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gable vs. Bogart

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Really ironic

BinkieBaumont said:
I always think its Ironic that Cary Grant started out in the slums of Bristol England and went on to play lots of "upper Crust" gents in Hollywood movies, whilst I understand that Humphry Bogart came from an American "Blue Blood" family but played down at heal "Loners"

Yes, but even more so when you realize that Bogart didn't come from American, but English "blue blood" (although his last name is Dutch, and he was also part Spaniard and Welsh).

Lorena B

Practically Family
This is a hard choice, both were fantastic and simply i cant see Bogart in "happened one night or Gone with the Wind" or Gable in Casablanca or the Maltese falcon"

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but hey...who else in American history can claim to have added three words to American slang:

1: Bogart...to hoard something (as in "Don't Bogart that whatever:)

2: Bogie...a bad guy, especially in fighter pilot talk ("I got Bogies at 4 o'clock!")

3: Bogie...a golf term ("and Arnold Palmer picks up a Bogie on that hole")

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well.............maybe..[huh] Maybe not....[huh]

Main Entry: Bogey
Variants: also bo·gie or bo·gy
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural bogeys also bogies
Etymology: probably alteration of bogle
Date: 1826

1 \ˈbu̇-gē, ˈbō-, ˈbü-\ : specter, phantom
2 \ˈbō-gē also ˈbu̇- or ˈbü-\ : a source of fear, perplexity, or harassment
3 \ˈbō-gē\ achiefly British : an average golfer's score used as a standard for a particular hole or course b: one stroke over par on a hole in golf
4 \ˈbō-gē\ : a numerical standard of performance set up as a mark to be aimed at especially in competition
5 \ˈbō-gē\ : an unidentified aircraft ; especially : one not positively identified as friendly and so assumed to be hostile

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
hmmmm....well.....

Carlisle Blues said:
Well.............maybe..[huh] Maybe not....[huh]

Main Entry: Bogey
Variants: also bo·gie or bo·gy
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural bogeys also bogies
Etymology: probably alteration of bogle
Date: 1826

1 \ˈbu̇-gē, ˈbō-, ˈbü-\ : specter, phantom
2 \ˈbō-gē also ˈbu̇- or ˈbü-\ : a source of fear, perplexity, or harassment
3 \ˈbō-gē\ achiefly British : an average golfer's score used as a standard for a particular hole or course b: one stroke over par on a hole in golf
4 \ˈbō-gē\ : a numerical standard of performance set up as a mark to be aimed at especially in competition
5 \ˈbō-gē\ : an unidentified aircraft ; especially : one not positively identified as friendly and so assumed to be hostile
OK, the etymology goes back to 1826...to, as in #5, denote unidentified aircraft? Maybe the first definition (phantom, etc) was used in 1826, but I think at least as in fighter pilot slang and EasyRider slang, the reference is to the characters played by ol' Humphrey himself.

Carlisle Blues

Blackthorn said:
OK, the etymology goes back to 1826...to, as in #5, denote unidentified aircraft? Maybe the first definition (phantom, etc) was used in 1826, but I think at least as in fighter pilot slang and EasyRider slang, the reference is to the characters played by ol' Humphrey himself.

Possibly, nevertheless, the reference date 1826 appears to be when first used. Phantom >>>>>>>unidentified aircraft.

The reference does not speak to popular usage or colloquialism.;) ;)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Possibly, nevertheless, the reference date 1826 appears to be when first used. Phantom >>>>>>>unidentified aircraft.

The reference does not speak to popular usage or colloquialism.;) ;)
;) :eusa_doh:

strider_ani

New in Town
Thanks to the thread I went out and borrowed a bunch of movies from both actors from the local video shop. Slowly going though them. It's good to look back at what the classics were, and all the history is great. Thoroughly enjoying them. XD

clevispin

One of the Regulars
In the early, lean years, the pretty boy Gable earned his money the old-fashioned Hollywood way.

Bogart was always a man's man.

m

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
clevispin said:
In the early, lean years, the pretty boy Gable earned his money the old-fashioned Hollywood way.

Bogart was always a man's man.

m

And how do you know? Did you live under Bogart's bed or something? [huh] :p

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Had, darling,

As a matter of fact I was in he room he honeymooned in with Bacall. The scent of musk and cigarette smoke still in the air...If indeed there was someone more a man's man than Bogey - it was Betty.

m

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
clevispin said:
Had, darling,

As a matter of fact I was in he room he honeymooned in with Bacall. The scent of musk and cigarette smoke still in the air...

m

Ohhh! You shared a room with Bogie and Bacall? The 3 of you?

You should write a book clevispin! ;) lol lol lol

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Well. Since we're talking about Hollywood tough guys. And we've already covered Bogie, Gable, Marvin, Stewart, and Mitchum. We forgot one.

While he may not be considered a world class actor, and he was Canadian, not American..... James Doohan, or "Scotty" as the world knew him. (Bio From Wikipedia)

At the outbreak of the Second World War, Doohan, aged 19, joined the Royal Canadian Artillery, and was eventually commissioned as a lieutenant in the 13th Field Regiment, part of the divisional artillery of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

His first combat assignment was the invasion of Normandy at Juno Beach on D-Day. Shooting two snipers along the way, Doohan led his unit to higher ground through a field of anti-tank mines and took defensive positions for the night. Crossing between command posts at 11:30 that night, Doohan took six rounds from a Bren gun fired by a nervous sentry: four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his right middle finger. The bullet to his chest was halted by the silver cigarette case he carried, and his wounded right middle finger was amputated, which he would conceal during his career as an actor.

Despite his injuries, Doohan remained in the military, trained as a pilot and flew an artillery observation plane.

He had a total of seven children, the youngest, Sarah was born in 2000, when Doohan was 80 years old.

Six rounds from a Bren gun, didn't kill him, and fathering a kid at 80, now THAT, was one tough hombre. :D

We will miss you Scotty.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Had,

I like you. In truth, I was alone in the room - its in a farm house in Ohio.

Another tough guy for the list: James Coburn

m

Garrett

This thread lost its way a few times I see! In any case I think you are comparing apples & oranges here. Much like George C Scott's take on the oscar awards being ridiculous because one is not competing in the same part, I find this to be similar.

We can agree, though, they were both decent fellas and great actors!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld