Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From Brooks Bros.: "Dress Like Draper!"

BellyTank said:
The LOOK, however, is so diluted, it isn't really anything.

That's the general problem with the original 2B narrows. While I have a dozen or so, I realize there are some I haven't worn in over a decade. The material is great, but looking at a lot of them now, i see they haven't the style of the 1 and 3Bs. They simply don't hang the way 1s and 3s do.

Regards,

Jack

La

DSCF1891.jpg

Notice how the front of the flap is rounded and the back is acute. I had this problem with the tux jacket I had copied (the one in my avatar) The tailor couldn't seem to get away from modern flaps.

DSCF1890.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BellyTank said:
This is a sad marketing/branding exercise-
the show rated and BB need something.
The LOOK, however, is so diluted, it isn't really anything
Yep, the look has been trotted out by a myriad of designers (Jill Sander, Ozwald Boateng, Helmut Lang, Issey Miyake, Paul Smith, YSL, etc, etc, etc....)for the last decade and a half, at least. [huh] Janie Bryant has got a lot of chutzpah to claim credit for a look that's been hanging in boutique windows on Madison Ave. for as long as she's been in the business.

Senator Jack said:
I think the slant is okay but the flap is too square and too large for the era. The 60s originals tended to have a racier flap, narrow and rounded at the corners.

I see whatcha mean. The flap does seem a bit too, I dunno, prominent?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Well- I'd say the jacket on the linked page looks like a 3x button with
the top one undone. Surely it buttons too low for a 2'er. Look at it.

This is a sad marketing/branding exercise-
the show rated and BB need something.
The LOOK, however, is so diluted, it isn't really anything.
Shame.

B
T

Actually, the interviews & the Brooks Brothers site list it as a 2 button sharksin in `60s styling....but withnot as high a rise.

Cant say Im very impressed either..tho I havent seen it in person.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
high armholes?

matei said:
If you look under "features" on the BB page, it says that the suit features "higher armholes". I guess they've been listening to the online community.

It is a shame that said "feature" doesn't extend to the rest of their lines.

It isn't a bad looking suit, and I daresay that there will be a few people who go this route. Not everyone has the luck, patience or desire to hunt an authentic period suit down, be it on eBay or in a thrift shop.

Oh but there are other BB lines listed with high armholes. For instance TheFitzgerald line:
Inspired by our archives, the 1818 Fitzgerald suit is distinguished by narrow lapels, higher armholes and trimmer fitting plain-front trousers. It is truly a statement of elegance and refinement. Tailored from pure wool woven in Italy. 2-button. Center vent. Made in the USA.
The Black Fleece line also has high armholes, tho the suits are cut very narrow & rather short, so the average man would be uncomfortable in such a slim suit.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
I'm not sure, but that sounds like a 1920s suit, and maybe the name "Fitzgerald" signifies that. I thought a classic twenties suit was 3-button, though.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I was wrong, it IS a 2 button.

MrBern said:
Actually, the interviews & the Brooks Brothers site list it as a 2 button sharksin in `60s styling....but withnot as high a rise.

Cant say Im very impressed either..tho I havent seen it in person.

YES- you're quite right, it is a 2'er but it's a ropey one.
It buttons very low and has a lot of roll above the top button, a-la a 3-2... that's what was making me think it had been photo-edited for effect.

What a shower of lard.

B
T

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
buttons & buttons

habberdasher said:
I'm not sure, but that sounds like a 1920s suit, and maybe the name "Fitzgerald" signifies that. I thought a classic twenties suit was 3-button, though.

I thought maybe FITZGERALD signified the F in JFK.

And regardless, theres a lot of `20s in `60s era. I once read JohnLennon observed that `60s Miniskirts were a retro fashion in homage to the `20s flappers.

Didnt the Beatles wear some 4 button suits?

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
SHARKSKIN?

scotrace said:
A lot of talling furds.

Anyway....

Innersting fabreek.

There are other BB suits on the website also listed as sharkskin.
Which surprises me.

Youd think theyd go with a higher end mohair. I have seen PRADA suits in Mohair, but not sure if those are in the same price bracket.

Then again wasnt Prada responsible for last years shiney grey tux disaster on AdrienBrody??? One big walking wrinkle...
1492563499_1b6d12fb6a.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
MrBern said:
BTW, dont forget NorthByNorthwest 1959...also featuring an NYC Ad Man in a grey suit

3 buttons, no vent, as sharp as they come...
northwest2.gif

3 rolled to the middle, a Brooks Standard... that just looks bad to my eye. Yes yes Cary's suit is fantastic, yet I still don't like the purposely rolled to the middle look.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Senator Jack said:
That is correct. I remember when they started the line about two years ago and they had said they took the design from the original jackets that 'Knocking Boots' Kennedy wore.

Regards,

Jack
I didn't know it started just two years ago-I thought it'd be an ancient tradition. Doesn't look much like JFK's suits, though.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
northwest2.gif

3 rolled to the middle, a Brooks Standard... that just looks bad to my eye. Yes yes Cary's suit is fantastic, yet I still don't like the purposely rolled to the middle look.
You're right. I don't like it either-there's too much tension on the middle button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld