Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freenote Cloth - Labour Day Sale heads up, and (long) appreciation thread.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
First the heads up, Labour Day Sale in effect, 40 - 50% off on select wovens from last season, some gorgeous plaids, summer SS and LS shirts, Hawaiian, Western and Workwear LS shirts of various designs. I ordered the short sleeve Chambray Hawaiian shirt and almost bought the beautiful SS Jove Chalk Plaid shirt as well, but decided against it, will probably regret not going for it.

https://freenotecloth.com/collectio...329413958&mc_cid=8d2041113f&mc_eid=2670d847c5

Second, of all the Heritage, Workwear and Western clothing brands, I've got to say that Freenote is my favourite by far, for a bunch of reasons. The fit is pretty much identical across all of their shirts and trousers, once you know your size you can order it confidently knowing it will fit and look best for the given style.

Another is the cut, which is always superb, very flattering for typical Western bodies (if there's such a thing), far more 'traditional' than most other heritage brands in that they don't slavishly copy old designs, and don't go for ultra modern slim or body hugging fits , and always extremely comfortable. Things like slightly wider arms, shirt lengths that can be worn tucked in or out, slight V shapes, pants that hang perfectly or sit nicely at or above the waist, cut to look good if you're on the skinny or muscular side, flattering the butt and legs no matter the leg width or taper, and always easy to move around in.

Then you have the fabrics, some of the softest, most rugged yet supple cottons denims, and flannels, that wear in superbly, never with exaggerated fades, just good natural wear that looks better and better the harder you use them and the longer you wear them, or when you wear them a few or more days in a row. The colours and finishes are superb, always better in person then the appear on the site. As an example, the one flap pocket LS Chambray 5 or 6 oz shirt I bought used last year has the nicest blue I've ever seen on a Chambray fabric, with a slight sheen and just the right amount of white weft thread accents.

The buttons, patches, and trim are always amazing, and perfectly judged, the collar lengths and points, pockets, and other trim is always perfectly judged, and the the stitching always perfect, using beautiful threads and stitches.

What I like best is the general design style, a mix of Western US, cowboy, workwear, and heritage styles that just work and fit in everywhere without looking too vintage, too modern, or too exaggerated. If you peruse the site you might get an overly stereotype hipster vibe and the overall look is a bit misleading, because when you wear the pieces separately, don't cuff everything, and choose more colourful stuff than the featured darker and muted colours, and wear them in a bit, you get a far more varied look if you want that.

I''ve bought a mix of new and used pieces from the brand over that last 5 years or so, to be honest I can't afford to buy all the stuff as I'd like new, but the quality is so good that I've never regretted getting a lightly used garment from the brand off eBay or Grailed.

My favorite things from them are the aforementioned Chambray shirt, a few of their outrageously perfect Slim Workers Chinos (perfectly cut, medium rise, heavy but flexible slightly brushed textiles, and absolutely gorgeous colours that are always fairly common but just unique enough to stand out), the simply perfect waxed Riders Jacket, and some ecru and brown denim pants in the Portola or Rios cuts. I don't own any of their blue denims, but from checking them out the range and quality of the fabrics, and the great cuts and trim on all of them seems pretty amazing, and their lack of pocket arcuates and fairly reserved stitching makes them even more easily worn as casual pants than just as jeans.

I'll stop here, lest you think I'm a shill, get any discounts, or am affiliated with the company,I'm just a happy camper who has never been disappointed with the clothing, the ease of ordering, and the friendliness, knowledge, reactivity, and easily given advice of the staff whenever I've emailed a question. These guys are so into their stuff and so passionate it comes out in their CS as much as it does in their designs and their execution, kudos and much respect to them.

Last edited:

JPVMan

New in Town
Great post! I'm a Freenote mega-fan as well and completely agree with all your points. I own at least one example of pretty much all their shirt models at this point, though I'm still after a Calico, Sinclair, and Lambert. Have my eye on certain examples of those, but all too expensive right now.

What are your favorite Freenote items you've picked up? My current favorites:
- Midway CPO in Indigo Sashiko
- Benson in Cobalt Blue Plaid
- Utility Light shirt in Grey
- Hawaiian in Night Tiger and Black Tiger (so cool!)

And I just picked up a 14oz Workers Chino in Army Green, the RJ-3 denim jacket in the 13oz Indigo, as well as the Riders jacket in Oak. Very excited to wear those as cold season approaches.

I was actually just reviewing all of my Freenote purchases as part of a budgeting exercise. (I've been way overspending on clothing!) Thankfully I've bought every NWT Freenote item with at least some discount, and bought the used pieces always at more than half off MSRP.

If helpful to folks checking out the brand, here are the average discounts off MSRP I've been able to achieve on NWT Freenote items:
- Shirts: 46%
- Knits: 27%
- Outerwear: 27%
- Denim: 36%
- Bottoms: 41%

A few caveats though for those trying to replicate such discounts:
- I'm in the US, so that level of savings is probably more difficult in other countries given shipping and taxes.
- I haven't bought anything that's a new release, so some of the pieces are in slightly less desirable colorways.
- I've spent a ton of time tracking sites and pouncing on discounts, so that investment certainly negates a lot of the cash savings. I enjoy the hunt though!

Thanks again for a great post!

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I also keep my eye on their sales and end of line discounts, and also on Grailed and eBay, I look for nearly new items, knowing the sizing will work no matter the piece really helps.

My favourites are the Workers Chinos and the waxed Rider jacket, the chinos are heavyweight like duck canvas but way more comfortable and flexible. I use them 3 seasons, they are hard wearing and great in the cold but don't look like work pants.

The Rider Jacket is well patinaed by now and fits like a second skin, it's just the right weight, and the blanket lining is very soft, the satin sleeves show n wear, and it's still highly waste resistant in spite of having been soaked multiple times and worn over a few springs and autumns already. It's a very cool looking jacket in person, always gets compliments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigdog42