Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FREE 1937 Searchlight Recipe (Cook) Book

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Up for grabs, one Vintage 1937 Searchlight Recipe (Cook) Book, reprinted edition. No resellers please. I am giving this item away to Loungers for your own use from my personal collection.

searchlight1.jpg
searchlight3.jpg

searchlight2.jpg

Anyone can enter to win this BEAUTIFUL Recipe Book, and here's how:

You simply need to post a PHOTO and a RECIPE of **Any dish** for any meal circa 1920 - 1950.

You can find many recipes online, or by going to the library. Please, no boiled eggs and no pancakes. I'm looking for something to make me ruin my diet!

You must post your photo and recipe by October 7. Due to weight of book, I am limiting entries to US Addresses.

After that date, I will have a drawing for the winner.

Good luck!

Vintage Betty
PS: I cleaned up the cover after I scanned this. It now looks better.

dostacos

Practically Family
will a family BBQ sauce recipe from the depression count?

I also have a killer breakfast item that when described peeps kinda turn their nose up, but when it hits the plate, there is NEVER any left;)

Vintage Betty

Yes, homemade sauces, jams, etc. count!

:p As long as it's homemade and I can eat it, it counts!

I make home made jam myself. Yummmmmm.... :p

Remember the photo!

Vintage Betty

Josephine

One Too Many
I tried making Cocoa Bread Crumb Cookies out of my 1934 Hershey's Cookbook (reprint) but they were a semi bust. they didn't turn out the way the book said, but Hubby and the Girls liked them anyway. I thought they were eh. I'll try another recipe soon :)

Vintage Betty

Josephine said:
I tried making Cocoa Bred Crumb Cookies out of my 1934 Hershey's Cookbook (reprint) but they were a semi bust. they didn't turn out the way the book said, but Hubby and the Girls liked them anyway. I thought they were eh. I'll try another recipe soon :)

hmm...maybe I should have made this contest "Send tins of cookies to Vintage Betty and she will determine a winner..." :rolleyes:

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
hmm...maybe I should have made this contest "Send tins of cookies to Vintage Betty and she will determine a winner..." :rolleyes:

lol lol lol lol

I haven't made cookies in years!

If you ever have a "Tell Your Best or Worst Cooking Stories" contest, I have a couple winners from when my father worked in the bakery of the downtown Los Angeles Newberry's back in the '50s. One involves lemon merinque pies without sugar and the other is a tragicomic tale of a multi-tiered wedding cake. lol

Lee

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
MrNewportCustom said:
lol lol lol lol

I haven't made cookies in years!

If you ever have a "Tell Your Best or Worst Cooking Stories" contest, I have a couple winners from when my father worked in the bakery of the downtown Los Angeles Newberry's back in the '50s. One involves lemon merinque pies without sugar and the other is a tragicomic tale of a multi-tiered wedding cake. lol

Lee

This reminded me of when I was working in a bakery when I was 16. I had a mother/daughter duo who spent litereally hours giving me the most elaborate wedding cake order and I was so glad to see them leave--until I realized I didn't get several pertinent pieces of information from them. I ended up having to call the country club where the cake was to be delivered and beg the event manager to give me their phone number. He only relented after I started crying--one of the only times in my life I've played that particular card. I laugh now, but at the time it was awful.

Vintage Betty

imoldfashioned said:
This reminded me of when I was working in a bakery when I was 16. I had a mother/daughter duo who spent litereally hours giving me the most elaborate wedding cake order and I was so glad to see them leave--until I realized I didn't get several pertinent pieces of information from them. I ended up having to call the country club where the cake was to be delivered and beg the event manager to give me their phone number. He only relented after I started crying--one of the only times in my life I've played that particular card. I laugh now, but at the time it was awful.

Oh no! :eek: I've worked retail and feel your pain.

Vintage Betty

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Searchlight Recipe???

Searchlight Soufflé
---------------------

1 large searchlight
550 cups all purpose flour
200 cups sugar
70 cups cocoa powder
25 dozen eggs

Preheat searchlight to 425°F. Disable oscillating mechanism; point straight up.
In a small portable swimming pool, combine eggs, sugar, cocoa and flour. Blend well.
Wearing dark goggles, spread mixture evenly on lens of searchlight using a rubber spatula or canoe paddle.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until soufflé rises 18 inches above lens.
Serves, oh, a whole bunch.

searchlight_400_x.jpg

These Army Reservists at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, invented Searchlight Soufflé during weekend maneuvers in 1951, when the final training mission ran too long for mess sergeant "Dutch" Droste (at center, crouched over electric mixer) to make his famous Blackout Cake for the unit. The chow hall was phoned, the ingredients delivered and the soufflé made right in the field.

Vintage Betty

Fletch said:
Searchlight Souffl?©
---------------------

1 large searchlight
550 cups all purpose flour
200 cups sugar
70 cups cocoa powder
25 dozen eggs

Preheat searchlight to 425¬?F. Disable oscillating mechanism; point straight up.
In a small portable swimming pool, combine eggs, sugar, cocoa and flour. Blend well.
Wearing dark goggles, spread mixture evenly on lens of searchlight using a rubber spatula or canoe paddle.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until souffl?© rises 18 inches above lens.
Serves, oh, a whole bunch.

searchlight_400_x.jpg

These Army Reservists at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, invented Searchlight Souffl?© during weekend maneuvers in 1951, when the final training mission ran too long for mess sergeant "Dutch" Droste (at center, crouched over electric mixer) to make his famous Blackout Cake for the unit. The chow hall was phoned, the ingredients delivered and the souffl?© made right in the field.

Bawhahahahahaha! lol lol lol

Josephine

One Too Many
May I request a day or two extension on this? I'm going to a wedding in about 2.5 hours and I wasn't able to get my act together in time to cook something up. :/

Vintage Betty

Last Day to Enter for 1937 Cookbook

Josephine, I hope you have time to enter!

This contest has been up for two weeks, and I'd like to post other items so this contest will end sometime tonight. Remember I'm in California, so feel free to make something for dinner and post it, as that will be mid-afternoon for me.

Good luck!

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

We have a Winner

Congrads Fletch.

You had difficult competition, but came out the winner.

Please PM me your mailing address for the cookbook, a value of $36.

Vintage Betty

Vintage Betty

Fletch - Please contact me

Fletch - This is your third notification about your prize.

If you do not respond by November 30, the prize is forfeited.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007