Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the smokers in the lounge

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I don't smoke as much as I used to. I am on a mission to put myself into shape. Obviously, frequent smoking and excercise don't work out. When I used to smoke often, though, I smoked Lucky Strikes, Marlboro reds 100's, Winstons, and Camel Turkish Blend.

Every now and then, I'll enjoy a good Montecristo courtesy of my favorite tabacconist.

http://captainhunt.com/

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
SHARPETOYS said:
The shop where I have ordered my tobacco and supplies is http://www.cigarettetobacco.com/
I have tried several of thier tobaccos and can recommend some along with a stuffing machine if someone is interested.

I am post away... Please...:)

I would point you to a couple of places.
http://syo.dalrun.com/
http://www.ryomagazine.com/
Both are good starting places for info. The Stuff Your Own site will have comparisons for different tobacco brands and tubes by several different people and I have found it pretty helpful. The Roll Your Own site is more of a one person online magazine format but I have found it helpful as well.

For machines I would recommend the Excel http://syo.dalrun.com/Machines/Premier/185.html
I have been using it for almost a year with no problems.

There are several different tubes available and you can read the reviews as well. I have tried several and lately been using ZigZag.

For tobacco's I would check out the reviews. I tend to like a light/golden Virginia tobacco.

Get a machine, tubes and tobacco and you're in business. You will save a ton of money and it's sort of fun cranking these suckers out. Kind of reminds me of tying flies or reloading in some ways.

One day I'll quit but until then it's nice to smoke good tobacco and save money doing it. Most of the major cigarette brands you're smoking are probably made up of what is swept up off the floor after sorting all the good tobacco including a lot of filler and whatever else they decide to add to the mix.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Quit If You Can! I Couldn't and I'm Paying For It...

I've been smoking for FIFTY (50!) years. I've not enjoyed smoking in decades... :mad:

I Stuff My Own with machines mentioned above by Blackgrass. I buy tubes and tobacco from these two sources;

http://www.cigarettetobacco.com/ for tubes @ best price on Web

https://www.lilbrown.com/index.cfm for a half Zware tobacco from Germany also best px.

As I mentioned at the top; I have been a smoker for 50 years and they surely will be instrumental in my death, but at the least, I'm smoking good tobacco and saving a ton of money too. :eek:

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Katt in Hat said:
I've been smoking for FIFTY (50!) years. I've not enjoyed smoking in decades... :mad:

I Stuff My Own with machines mentioned above by Blackgrass. I buy tubes and tobacco from these two sources;

http://www.cigarettetobacco.com/ for tubes @ best price on Web

https://www.lilbrown.com/index.cfm for a half Zware tobacco from Germany also best px.

As I mentioned at the top; I have been a smoker for 50 years and they surely will be instrumental in my death, but at the least, I'm smoking good tobacco and saving a ton of money too. :eek:

Ah, Katt. Ever the sarcastic one. lol lol But you make a very good point. I'm looking forward to that drink. ;)

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Philip Morris makes English Ovals, which are unfiltered Kings, and quite nice.

Nat Sherman makes Cigaretellos, which are unfiltered Queen size. I like these with brown paper.

I usually buy unfiltered Lucky Strickes, but I really don't smoke all that much.

The best ever are/were George Karelias; they have/had unfiltered and filtered. My tobacco shops here in the US no longer sell them due to the settlement reached with Big Tobacco (which international makers don't want to pay into). Online, I can only turn up the filtered ones.

I use a brushed silver metal Calibri butane lighter. Folks like the lighter.

I use a cheap, boxy steel case. I've been looking for a nice vintage one, but the really nice ones on eBay go for WAY much.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I went and ordered myself a stuffer, a Premier Supermatic. Got some King Size tubes and some 70mm tubes to fit my pop's old sterling silver case. Got two different pouches of tobacco to try out, too. I've tried those sliding stuffers, but they're a PITA.

My hope is that if I can build a better tasting smoke, I can cut down on smoking. It's a paradox that, at least in my case, the nastier the cigarette the more of 'em I smoke. Ultra lights? First time I tried Camel Ultra Lights I smoked the whole pack in 20 minutes.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
I'm surprised to see so many Californian smokers. The "no smoking in bars/restaurants" thing did not deter you?

Colorado just enacted the same law and it's really helping me cut back. No more smoking while drinking, and I'm not going to sit outside by myself just to get my nicotine fix. I can trade one bad habit for another & get my buzz by ordering another round.

Still, whenever I see someone with a pack of Parliaments...
Common, I know.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
CAMEL NON FILTERS

Thats a gain of words in the golden era all you would say was Camels.

Did not ever smoke till 25-years-old. Was bartending picked it up as a social habit. As many of you know the service industry is a smoking world.

I use a tin clamshell case.

The wife and i started taking Wellbutrin XL last week and have a quit together date of Aug. 1st i am 43 so i'll start to smoke again on my 80th birthday.

This case looked interesting http://www.lexcocase.com/

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It's nice to here some smoking banter here, especially as it was a fairly normal Golden Era thing.

I smoke occasionally- I can have a few and then not have any for ages.
I enjoy a smoke at a dinner or with some nice drinks but other people don't enjoy my doing it. I was a full-time smoker for years.

I really like to take some smokes with me on a walk in the country, or up a mountain. Standing, contemplating, looking at the view.

Plain Luckies, or OPs.

B
T

zeus36

A-List Customer
In the house or on the patio, I smoke a pipe with English tobaccos, usually an estate buy. I collected over 70 of them during my Navy days and deployments. The lighter for these is either a pocket Corona Old Boy I picked up in New Zealand twenty years ago
ob-tin.jpg

Or a vintage table top Ronson Touch Tip
unit.gif

For evenings out in cigar friendly atmospheres, I smoke large ring Maduro cigars lit with a Colibri Trifecta lighter (triple torch flame). I cut them with a Zippo double blade cutter (no longer made)
9501box.jpg

or de-cap them with my Spyderco Dodo. I have tried V notchers, plug punches and even pocket cigar drills, but still prefer a Guillotine cut.

While I’m out and about on the motorcycle, I carry Djarum Original non-filter Cloves that I trim down to fit into a vintage sterling silver case. These are lit using an old Zippo with a new Z-Plus butane torch insert.

I never inhale anything I smoke and only do it in moderation. I may smoke two to three cigars a month, a pipe full every other weekend, and a clove three times per week.

Fedora

Vendor
I used to be really fond of the Nat Sherman Turkish Ovals, but the Balkan Sobranie was creme ala creme of cigarettes to me. Sherman no long makes the Turkish Ovals and the Sobranies are to be had no more. :( Many years ago I bought a pack of Turkish Royals but could not find this brand in my hometown at the local(and now closed tobacco shop). I think they are extinct now as well. I tried the NS Cigarettellos, but while tasty, they were a bit too strong for me. I also liked the Virginia Circles from NS, but they are long gone now as well. Seems like they got rid of what I liked!! I have always liked pure Turkish tobacco, as I like the unusual taste and exceptional mildness of true Turkish tobacco. Anyone know where you can buy pure Turkish? You smoke a Sobranie much like you would enjoy a fine cigar, after a meal. They were a nice fat, tightly packed smoke. Anyone out there ever try one? Fedora

Havana

One of the Regulars
As my name implies, I'm what you might call a heavy cigar smoker. I smoke 2 to 3 big ones a day. Some days I actually get up early just so I'll have time to enjoy a smoke. I love it and I'm pretty shameless about it. I even told my wife prior to our marriage that I would never give up cigars and she needed to understand that. I like any handmade cigars of quality but prefer the darkest maduros I can get my hands on. The stronger, the better. I do smoke a meershaum pipe and a long stem church warden pipe from time to time. My favorite blends are Dunhill's Nightcap and J.L.Pease's Cairo. Be courteous to non-smokers but smoke with pride.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Nat Shermans of many kinds, especially Black and Golds and Cigarettellos. However, I've recently bought a cigarette filter (after watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas) and neither of these long, skinny cigarettes fit, so I'm moving to the Classics line. The holder filters out so much tar, it's incredible. Plus I feel a bit more like Hunter S. Thompson, and that's always a good thing.

I also smoke Pipes (Latakia!) Cigars (Romeo y Julietas) and :p a waterpipe named Niles Crane.

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
tallyho said:
what brand do you smoke? do you use a case to hold your nails? what kind of lighter do you carry?

I smoke Marlboro Medium, I don't have a cigarette case (but I'm thinking about picking one up) and I use a brass Zippo lighter, with a zodiac Leo on it.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
"Balkan Sobranie" was also the creme de la creme of pipe tobaccos. Loved that stuff. My pipes still miss it. :(

Now that was a tobacco… At the moment, I mostly smoke Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, though just today I found a tin of Bengal Slices again and was pleasantly reminded of its flavour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe