Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear to go with our jackets

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
These look so good! I’m very tempted to get them. Are they easier to get on and off?
In a word - no, or at least not when you first get them. They have eased up a bit though so its getting easier. If youve got a high instep - which I apparently have, they can test you a bit to begin with. Dont let that put you off though!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
These look quite nice!

Here is a very in-depth review of these for your enjoyment...

Thanks. Fun video; confirms my initial thoughts: "Good, not great boots." Combine it with what I see in DMs from a personal perspective, and I am happy with what I got for my money.

Only surprise is identical leather thickness; I may have another look at mine. I have two standard boots from different production cycles, so that may explain it.

KBlake

One Too Many
In a word - no, or at least not when you first get them. They have eased up a bit though so its getting easier. If youve got a high instep - which I apparently have, they can test you a bit to begin with. Dont let that put you off though!
Apparently you can stretch the shaft a bit with a broom handle the handle of a hammer or some such object. I went ahead and ordered a pair of these directly from JL because he accepts returns in the event that it's just not a good fit for me. Yours look excellent. If your only issue is the shaft width I'd see if I can stretch them a bit.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Apparently you can stretch the shaft a bit with a broom handle the handle of a hammer or some such object. I went ahead and ordered a pair of these directly from JL because he accepts returns in the event that it's just not a good fit for me. Yours look excellent. If your only issue is the shaft width I'd see if I can stretch them a bit.
Yes Im sure you'll be OK - they have eased up quite considerably in the shaft so its not an issue any longer. Good call on ordering some - they are such nice boots.

Officer derbies by Carol Christian Poell

I honestly don't know why I got these. They're beautiful, beautiful, ugly-ass clompers, made otherworldly superbly, as sturdy as any pair of boots that I have handled but I just don't know. I like them a lot. I doubt it I'll even wear them.

They're made of 2 mm veg tanned horsehide and are constructed with a lifetime of wear in mind. Naturally, none of the people able to easily afford these are going to wear them their entire life but the idea is appealing.

The back... metal thing is actual metal. The laces are stretchy. You can close them using the clamps or you remove the clamps and tie them up. Despite the deranged shape, they're extremely comfortable to wear but you gotta get the right size!

In any case, I just had to have them. They don't bore me even though I look and feel ridiculous and insane in them.

So I don't know... Enjoy the photos, if you can.

EfHHlYc.jpg

UThvrqW.jpg

i55tqhj.jpg

KUOB7Bo.jpg

oy1D3Wm.jpg

ukh4pmQ.jpg

0jVIbd2.jpg

dBrGfXc.jpg

7AXFvBp.jpg

bLJSm6m.jpg

l2olBho.jpg

5NKLHSG.jpg

IrishStu

One of the Regulars

I honestly don't know why I got these. They're beautiful, beautiful, ugly-ass clompers, made otherworldly superbly, as sturdy as any pair of boots that I have handled but I just don't know. I like them a lot. I doubt it I'll even wear them.

They're made of 2 mm veg tanned horsehide and are constructed with a lifetime of wear in mind. Naturally, none of the people able to easily afford these are going to wear them their entire life but the idea is appealing.

The back... metal thing is actual metal. The laces are stretchy. You can close them using the clamps or you remove the clamps and tie them up. Despite the deranged shape, they're extremely comfortable to wear but you gotta get the right size!

In any case, I just had to have them. They don't bore me even though I look and feel ridiculous and insane in them.

EfHHlYc.jpg

UThvrqW.jpg

i55tqhj.jpg

KUOB7Bo.jpg

oy1D3Wm.jpg

ukh4pmQ.jpg

0jVIbd2.jpg

dBrGfXc.jpg

7AXFvBp.jpg

bLJSm6m.jpg

l2olBho.jpg

5NKLHSG.jpg
They are amazing looking shoes. Definitely wear them.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab

EfHHlYc.jpg

UThvrqW.jpg

i55tqhj.jpg

KUOB7Bo.jpg

oy1D3Wm.jpg

ukh4pmQ.jpg

0jVIbd2.jpg

dBrGfXc.jpg

7AXFvBp.jpg

bLJSm6m.jpg

l2olBho.jpg

5NKLHSG.jpg
@Monitor Congrats on this beautiful pair of boots. I know this brand from very expensive Avantgarde style leather jackets but I've never handled the leather so far and have no clue if the quality is justified. If you don't wear them you know one who's probably interested ;)

@Monitor Congrats on this beautiful pair of boots. I know this brand from very expensive Avantgarde style leather jackets but I've never handled the leather so far and have no clue if the quality is justified. If you don't wear them you know one who's probably interested ;)

Thank you, Robbie!

Leather is of the highest caliber, you'll have no doubt once you see it. It's really, really nice. The regular horsehide is not as thick as what we're used to but the thick version is some 2mm so that's plenty enough. Other than that, the clothes feels tough and has been serving me fantastically so far but we'll see.

This stuff is very pricey but it's not obscenely pricier than some other high-end brands like RMC & especially nowhere near what some fashion brands are asking for their crappy clothes, all the while it's what I always wanted the most so why not. :)

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Robbie!

Leather is of the highest caliber, you'll have no doubt once you see it. It's really, really nice. The regular horsehide is not as thick as what we're used to but the thick version is some 2mm so that's plenty enough. Other than that, the clothes feels tough and has been serving me fantastically so far but we'll see.

This stuff is very pricey but it's not obscenely pricier than some other high-end brands like RMC & especially nowhere near what some fashion brands are asking for their crappy clothes, all the while it's what I always wanted the most so why not. :)

Thanks for the additional information @Monitor Please wear them as the derbies are eyecatcher and quality wise (leather and craftmanship) do seem to be top notch. Now I want a pair ;-) Do they use Guidi HH or any other HH source? I know Guidi HH which is one of the best leather types I've handled so far and it's also not as thick as Clinch Horsebutt. I also like Culatta like the one used for these handmade guys (the leather and boots are also very sturdy like Clinch and leather is also in a range of probably 2mm).

1721829919808.png

1721829929795.png

Thanks for the additional information @Monitor Please wear them as the derbies are eyecatcher and quality wise (leather and craftmanship) do seem to be top notch. Now I want a pair ;-) Do they use Guidi HH or any other HH source? I know Guidi HH which is one of the best leather types I've handled so far and it's also not as thick as Clinch Horsebutt. I also like Culatta like the one used for these handmade guys (the leather and boots are also very sturdy like Clinch and leather is also in a range of probably 2mm).

View attachment 628848

View attachment 628849

They use Culatta among other hide, but I'm not sure which type. The shiny leather, one that my shoes are made from, is made in-house from what I understand and nowadays most of the Carol Christian Poell leather comes from only two tanneries in Italy. Guidi uses fantastic leather and I love their Culatta a lot! CCP's Culatta is a lot more unhinged.

Grab a pair! The Darklands in Germany should have Culatta derbies in your size and I can only promise you, these shoes are so damn comfortable and good looking you'll have no regrets.

I can help you out with sizing & any other info that you need but they're seriously worth the shot. I bought the CCP's A Diciannoveventitre and another brand at the same time and as beautiful as they all were, I only kept the CCP because once in hand, you see the insane amount of details and touches compared to the other brands that aren't even cheaper, at that.

I have Culatta derbies on the radar right now, too.

AHP91

One Too Many

EfHHlYc.jpg

UThvrqW.jpg

i55tqhj.jpg

KUOB7Bo.jpg

oy1D3Wm.jpg

ukh4pmQ.jpg

0jVIbd2.jpg

dBrGfXc.jpg

7AXFvBp.jpg

bLJSm6m.jpg

l2olBho.jpg

5NKLHSG.jpg
these are the craziest (good crazy) pair of leather shoes I've seen. If I had a dream about a well dressed man in an apocalypse situation, these would be them

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
They use Culatta among other hide, but I'm not sure which type. The shiny leather, one that my shoes are made from, is made in-house from what I understand and nowadays most of the Carol Christian Poell leather comes from only two tanneries in Italy. Guidi uses fantastic leather and I love their Culatta a lot! CCP's Culatta is a lot more unhinged.

Grab a pair! The Darklands in Germany should have Culatta derbies in your size and I can only promise you, these shoes are so damn comfortable and good looking you'll have no regrets.

I can help you out with sizing & any other info that you need but they're seriously worth the shot. I bought the CCP's A Diciannoveventitre and another brand at the same time and as beautiful as they all were, I only kept the CCP because once in hand, you see the insane amount of details and touches compared to the other brands that aren't even cheaper, at that.

I have Culatta derbies on the radar right now, too.
@Monitor Man, you're driving me crazy ;-) I was about to pay a deposit for a new Thedi (1930s German motorcycle jacket made of either red Badalassi or blue deerskin....the one they posted on Insta in February) which is more or less the same price as the CCP derbies....and now I've seen your additional comments on CCP derbies (thanks a lot for your recommedations and help!!).
Both are impossible this year - just one is possible. Yes, Darklands Berlin do have my size but now I'm torn whether I should go for another (unique) Thedi or for another black pair of shoes after getting the black Clinch Jodhpur (my personal grail boots). I'm really torn as I like both....
Cheers, Robbie

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

EfHHlYc.jpg

UThvrqW.jpg

i55tqhj.jpg

KUOB7Bo.jpg

oy1D3Wm.jpg

ukh4pmQ.jpg

0jVIbd2.jpg

dBrGfXc.jpg

7AXFvBp.jpg

bLJSm6m.jpg

l2olBho.jpg

5NKLHSG.jpg

These are simply great, Ivan!

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your exchange with Robert and of course looked at the website of Darklands.
Biggest achievement of the week was convincing myself that I DON‘T need a pair. I have way to many shoes and boots, both formal and informal, and I just won’t wear them nearly enough to justify the expense. But tempted I am. Oh yes…!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacketvillage