Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flyboy's Jacket

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Suggestions:

Contact Will at Aero in Scotland. This is the BarnStormer (see pic) in Front Quarter Horse Hide (FQHH), which you can get in brown or cordovan (a deepreddy brown). You can also choose froma range of linings from alpaca to tartan to an old vintage tweedy horse blanket (from the 30s and found in an old mill that was closing!).

[URL=http://i140.photobucket.com/

Eastman Leathers do something similar, called the Brooklands Motoring Coat, so check out their website.

And a French Company, Dourseaux (or a similar name to that) do a WW1 styled fliers jacket too (see the Reference Library at the top of our WWII room here).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket Paddy!

KT, the thing is that in WWI, in most cases there were no real "issue" flying coats. For example RFC/RNAS pilots very often purchased their own coats, googles, gauntlets, and "fug boots". Arguably with pilots flying over the Western Front, full length flying coats were more popular than "half length", with possibly one of the most popular amongst British pilots, being the Burberry Leather flying coat which was lined and had a distinctive horizontal map pocket across the front of the breast of the coat. These were so well thought of that German pilots used captured examples frequently, and many photos exist of Central Power pilots using Burberries as part of their flying kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust