Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flashlights?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
The Wolf: If the batteries that leaked were from a leading name brand like Energizer or Duracell, there is a good chance they will reimburse you for the cost of the damaged light.

Warbird: Which SureFire do you carry? I have an E2L that sees coat pocket duty every night.

Nobodyspecial: Arc lights are great. They are not the brightest AAA flashlights on the market, but they are the most durable and reliable. Plus, the owner of the company is a great guy who will go out of his way to help a customer.

warbird

One Too Many
KeyGrip said:
The Wolf: If the batteries that leaked were from a leading name brand like Energizer or Duracell, there is a good chance they will reimburse you for the cost of the damaged light.

Warbird: Which SureFire do you carry? I have an E2L that sees coat pocket duty every night.

Nobodyspecial: Arc lights are great. They are not the brightest AAA flashlights on the market, but they are the most durable and reliable. Plus, the owner of the company is a great guy who will go out of his way to help a customer.

I carry a 6LP LED. Very bright and and lasts a long time. The Arc is durable and reliable, far more so than a maglite, which I came to hate. But they are simply not bright enough for most of my uses. I need the light to be able to reach out. If you need just bit of light to see your way to complete a task the Arc is a great choice. If you need a lot of light in a small package it is not the best choice.

I have carried Surefires going way back to the days when I used them flying. That and carrying a firearm got me used to carrying a flashlight. And many many times, I've been glad I had one.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
I've been looking at the E2D Executive Defender for a while myself, just not sure if it'd fly with TSA due to the strike-bezels.
I've read my share of threads discussing this, and I think it really boils down to the way you present yourself and what else you're carrying.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
IMG_0125.jpg

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't carry any mini lights on key chains but have done something different for flashlights in the autos. I got the "shake to work" lights that don't need batteries because EVERY time you need it the batteries are dead anyway.
Copy_of_anufo.gif

NonEntity

Suspended
KeyGrip said:
I've read my share of threads discussing this, and I think it really boils down to the way you present yourself and what else you're carrying.

You think I could slip on a commercial airliner with my P7 M8 Heckler & Koch 9mm semi-auto pistol if I just act professional and non-threatening?

I knew to leave my Swiss Army Executive pen knife, weapon of mass destruction that it is, in the car, but I still couldn't get into the Juvenile Court building last week with the Maglite Solitaire on my key ring. Deputy told me it could be used as a dangerous weapon, but I failed to see how. He has special training, so he may know something I don't.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
NonEntity said:
... but I still couldn't get into the Juvenile Court building last week with the Maglite Solitaire on my key ring. Deputy told me it could be used as a dangerous weapon, but I failed to see how. He has special training, so he may know something I don't.

I can understand if you were carrying the HK, but a Solitaire? I suppose you could make someone choke on it. Seems like the average person could do more damage just by hitting.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I stumbled onto a great deal on some Gerber lights via another forum.

I ordered two of these,
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/e...xt=&list=50&range=1&order=PriceAsc&SKU=G80011

and two of these,
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/e...xt=&list=50&range=1&order=PriceAsc&SKU=G80043

and would have ordered two of these had I noticed them,
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/e...xt=&list=50&range=1&order=PriceAsc&SKU=G80030

Shipping is free for $10+ orders. My lights averaged $6 each which is a great deal. I have one of the infinity ultra lights and it's a great little light, at this price it's worth stocking up.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got the shake-to-charge lights for the glove boxes of the cars simply because I know from experience that when I need a light, the one on the car for 19 months will be dead.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I have a 3 cell maglite torch.a surefire digital U2 ultra torch and two gerber recon torches.the gerber recon X,has 3 colours: white,red and green and is made of plastic.the other gerber recon torch is made of metal,is very small,and has four colours: white,red,green and blue.

wldthistle

New in Town
Diamondback said:
And one really-bright white one, about the size of a roll of quarters, for in case I need to blind somebody:

I heard that an old photographer's trick is to carry an old flash, which can be used to temporarily blind someone. Funny how some of the most photogenic locations are also the most seedy.

BrewCrew

New in Town
I also like the Surefires, I deliver pizzas and need a very bright but compact light to carry around. Their police tactical lights are great for short bursts of bright light, also good for hunting when walking out to your stand. 'Course if you leave them on for any length of time they get to hot to hold...

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I should look into getting a new flashlight. I've heard good things about Surefire, but right now I have a mini Maglite for easy carrying. (I wasn't carrying this for a while, and when there was a power outage, what did I immediately think? "You idiot, you left a perfectly good flashlight in the car!")

Crane's

Familiar Face
The guard at the court building probably knows that the lil flashlight could be used as a fist load or yawara stick. The thing is that maglight was never marketed for that use, it's just a flashlight. Now the E2D, which is what I carry, was designed with that purpose in mind and it's bright enough to be used effectively for the blind 'em defense technique. The new LED E2D has twice the output as the incandescent model. I see an upgrade coming soon.

BTW, the blind 'em technique does work but only if the person's eyes are night adjusted. We tried it and all you see is a large white spot in front of you for around 4 or 5 seconds. Basically you're blind.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
A word of warning about the "Shake" and "Crank" type lights; some of them are very cheap knockoffs which actually use small watch batteries to power the LEDs. The shaking/craking motion does nothing. (Info is at the bottom of the page)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton