Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitting matters

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Undertow said:
I wouldn't purchase a suit from any establishment that didn't require its suit salesmen to also don a proper suit. I think in most cases, that rule fits for just about any purchase.

I would certainly agree with that Undertow. Often wonder if the salespersons suit has been purchased from their own establishment, or from a better one, just to let you think they are selling really top quality merchandise.

Matt D - Great information there, and thanks for drawing our attention to the that particular website.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RAF Man said:
I would certainly agree with that Undertow. Often wonder if the salespersons suit has been purchased from their own establishment, or from a better one, just to let you think they are selling really top quality merchandise.

Matt D - Great information there, and thanks for drawing our attention to the that particular website.

It's kind of the same principle as "don't regularly eat at a restaurant where all the employees are fat unless you want to be fat." Don't buy at a clothier's where all the workers look bad unless you, also, want to look bad.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Undertow said:
I wouldn't purchase a suit from any establishment that didn't require its suit salesmen to also don a proper suit. I think in most cases, that rule fits for just about any purchase.

I agree completely. If they have to wear a proper suit daily, they will at least know something. Unfortunately, it doesn't guarantee they know much beyond the minimum needed to keep the job. One of the stores here requires their people to dress properly, but they still train them to go by one measurement around the chest to size the customer, and what they think constitutes a proper hem leaves the trousers bunched up on top of the shoe. I have to tell them to make it shorter 2 or 3 times to get a proper length (just a slight break in the crease).

And they don't know anything about the armholes. :(

-Jake

richstyle

New in Town
Sadly, his statements might have been true, but nonetheless we immediately left the store, telling my son, "Maybe everybody does dress like that -- but I'm one of those who prefers his clothes to fit properly

Good for you! The power of the consumer. If more people did that, we'd have better, more knowledgable salesmen--and maybe even better clothes at more affordable prices.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
To avoid bulging pockets, simply don’t open them (most suits will come with their pockets sewn shut).
Jovan said:
I can't agree with that. I must be able to use my pockets! :D

Actually, I do agree with that. Anything important should go into your inner jacketpockets or a trouser pocket or a briefcase.
I've seen some designers even skip placing pockets on a jacket to preserve a streamlined look.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
MrBern said:
Actually, I do agree with that. Anything important should go into your inner jacketpockets or a trouser pocket or a briefcase.
I've seen some designers even skip placing pockets on a jacket to preserve a streamlined look.

If you think function should play second fiddle to form, great. But pockets, if they're there, ought to be used. Or at least usable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe