Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Aero - 1930s Half Belt STF (Aero Japan)

Pferdeleder

New in Town
G'day mates!

Long time lurker (registered in 2012), first time poster here.

I've long wanted an Aero and have always wanted one. Back when I was in my late 20s, GF (at the time) said no way, maybe when I turn 30. Well I turned 30, she said stil no, maybe when I turn 40. Turn 40 last year, she said still no (looks 'too old' for me), maybe when I turn 50.

F it.. so I bought it during our trip to Japan recently and couldn't be happier! And she was fine after all.. should've done it sooner! Oh well.. they say good things come to those who wait and after 15 years, it's finally in my grubby hands.

Many of you will know / have heard of Aero Japan's 'STF' (stupidly named Super Tight Fit) fit, which is similar to Premier according to some distinguished members here. I've not tried Premier myself but have tried the standard HB and I'm swimming in it, even sized down. So my mind was set long ago that when I get mine, it'll be the STF. I personally think there are small details where this jacket differs from the Premier. The collar isn't as pointed, the front isn't dipped, etc. Again, those smarter than me please chime in.

Aero Japan's 1930s HB off the rack model is a single spec offering (comes in choices of either Black or Cordovan FQHH only - that's what Japanese market likes best, I was told) and comes standard with: brown cotton drill lining, antique brass talon zipper, ball and chain, matched stitching, no inside pockets and importantly, plain back with no yoke. This is a strange (anyone know why please chime in) little detail that I, a self confessed nerd, even missed it and not until I was back at the hotel admiring the thing whilst sipping my celebratory Nikka bought at the konbini.. that I realised it.

Enough talking, on to fit pics. For stats, I'm a slender build dude. 175cm, 63-65kg depending on how much beer I've ingested, 37" chest. This off the shelf 38" fits me like a glove and I couldn't have been happier with a custom made, I think. Funnily enough back in 2015 I visited Carrie's shop and she measured me then.. and the sleeve and back length were exactly the same as this jacket! (thanks Carrie!).

These pics were taken on Day 3 of wearing. The arms are softening up nicely and I could start to bend my arms. On the first day, I could hardly drive :p

Anyway, this is my first Aero.. got a feeling it won't be my last (though I'm perfectly happy if it is). As a bonus pic, I often wonder what really is this shade of Cordovan is.. it really is the shade of a deep, dark, red wine - a delicious Barossa Valley Shiraz in this case. Bonus MIE 1460 Dr Martens in Cherry Red also shown.

Thanks for reading this far. Comments, critique, questions welcome and glad to finally join the esteemed Aero family.

Cheers!

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg
IMG_2163.jpg
IMG_2175.jpg

TartuWolf

One Too Many
That's as good as it gets in terms of leather jackets and fit. Congratulations, it may have taken 15 years but you have reached leather jacket end game in my book with this one. Spectacular! The color in the last photo... Good god that's a great example of why I've always dreamed of a cordovan jacket from Aero. And will continue to do so haha.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've long wanted an Aero and have always wanted one. Back when I was in my late 20s, GF (at the time) said no way, maybe when I turn 30. Well I turned 30, she said stil no, maybe when I turn 40. Turn 40 last year, she said still no (looks 'too old' for me), maybe when I turn 50.

This is a lot of control to give over your wardrobe lol.

Pferdeleder

New in Town
Thanks guys for the kind words. I can't wait for it to be broken in more and am finding any opportunity to wear the hell out of it. Luckily it's winter here in Southern hemisphere so it's perfect timing!

@Aloysius - haha, don't worry I'm not being held in some kind of sartorial harem, it's just that she is passionately, vehemently, against it. She usually doesn't care what I buy/wear but somehow this repels her like nothing else. As they say, happy wife, happy life ;)

jtmac71

New in Town
G'day mates!

Long time lurker (registered in 2012), first time poster here.

F it.. so I bought it during our trip to Japan recently and couldn't be happier! And she was fine after all.. should've done it sooner! Oh well.. they say good things come to those who wait and after 15 years, it's finally in my grubby hands.

Many of you will know / have heard of Aero Japan's 'STF' (stupidly named Super Tight Fit) fit, which is similar to Premier according to some distinguished members here. I've not tried Premier myself but have tried the standard HB and I'm swimming in it, even sized down. So my mind was set long ago that when I get mine, it'll be the STF. I personally think there are small details where this jacket differs from the Premier. The collar isn't as pointed, the front isn't dipped, etc. Again, those smarter than me please chime in.

Aero Japan's 1930s HB off the rack model is a single spec offering (comes in choices of either Black or Cordovan FQHH only - that's what Japanese market likes best, I was told) and comes standard with: brown cotton drill lining, antique brass talon zipper, ball and chain, matched stitching, no inside pockets and importantly, plain back with no yoke. This is a strange (anyone know why please chime in) little detail that I, a self confessed nerd, even missed it and not until I was back at the hotel admiring the thing whilst sipping my celebratory Nikka bought at the konbini.. that I realised it.

Enough talking, on to fit pics. For stats, I'm a slender build dude. 175cm, 63-65kg depending on how much beer I've ingested, 37" chest. This off the shelf 38" fits me like a glove and I couldn't have been happier with a custom made, I think. Funnily enough back in 2015 I visited Carrie's shop and she measured me then.. and the sleeve and back length were exactly the same as this jacket! (thanks Carrie!).

These pics were taken on Day 3 of wearing. The arms are softening up nicely and I could start to bend my arms. On the first day, I could hardly drive :p

Anyway, this is my first Aero.. got a feeling it won't be my last (though I'm perfectly happy if it is). As a bonus pic, I often wonder what really is this shade of Cordovan is.. it really is the shade of a deep, dark, red wine - a delicious Barossa Valley Shiraz in this case. Bonus MIE 1460 Dr Martens in Cherry Red also shown.

Thanks for reading this far. Comments, critique, questions welcome and glad to finally join the esteemed Aero family.

Cheers!

View attachment 621524
View attachment 621526 View attachment 621527 View attachment 621528
Awesome jacket, I am extremely jealous!! I am currently saving up to purchase my first Aero also, was going to go with a classic seal brown but I’m really digging the color of yours.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Awesome jacket, I am extremely jealous!! I am currently saving up to purchase my first Aero also, was going to go with a classic seal brown but I’m really digging the color of yours.

Agreed. Aeros (Horween‘s…) Cordovan FQCXL horse is simply beautiful. Such a versatile col too.

Pferdeleder

New in Town
Agreed. Aeros (Horween‘s…) Cordovan FQCXL horse is simply beautiful. Such a versatile col too.

I'm obviously biased but I reckon it's more versatile than either black or brown since you can go either way (shoes wise)!

Does anyone here know for certain whether 'Cordovan CXL' is the same as 'No. 8'?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads