Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

mvilla

A-List Customer
Not installing the Crowns would be a deal-breaker for me. I'd be furious. If he promised to install them and then didn't, that is really bad. That is not keeping your word to a customer who's been waiting 16 months for the jacket because you had other priorities. NOS Crowns are an ultimate piece of bling for a jacket, I am surprised Greg does not appreciate it, and does not appreciate his customers enough to go out of his way to install them. I guess IG collabs are more important.
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed as well, but also I didn't want to back out from the jacket after waiting for that long... Feels like a predicament

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just saw this

it would be breach of contract

The delays are one thing, but the zips are a breach of contract, and you are entitled some form of reparation. I would ask for a full refund; it is completely unforgivable. Sourcing zippers for a non-professional is quite the task, I have done it for jacket, and they were installed on that jacket. If he had warned you in advance, it is one thing, but presenting you with a fait accompli is unacceptable. There is no excuse.

Now, we all know what kind of business Greg runs. And what kind of guy he is. Unlike another small maker he never acted like a total smurf, dismissing all criticism in longish social-media rants.

“You’re as bad as the worst maker in forum”, indeed, but that is really of poor form, would you not agree?

I would ask for a full refund and go for another maker. The 16 months wasted are a learning experience. It is summer, an order made now with someone else should be quicker as it is the empty season.

This is sad.

It is sad because @mvilla didn't get the jacket he wanted, of course but it is sad because this isn't representative of Greg's work & it didn't need to happen.

Greg is among the best in the business. His workmanship is second to none yet... This happened. There's no justification for those cuffs.

Field cannot run a bespoke business model. No small time maker can. 5* barely keeps up!

Entire custom jacket nonsense needs to die out. The "alterations" are miniscule and of no real consequence to the buyer, while they at the same time present a massive disruption for the maker.

People only opt for them to justify spending so much money on a jacket but it never does anything at all.

Custom needs to be dropped for good. Even picking leather is stupid, let alone design detailes and features.

cbez

One Too Many
Option to pick leather is good. Even something like, can we use this zip. The maker is the expert here and needs to be willing to give an informed no if they can't do it or it's going to drag the project out.

However I think people take it too far and push for ultra custom projects when they should really be keeping it reasonable.

Bennarion

One Too Many
This is the fit, I think it fit quite well, the way that I wanted. Real comfy and with enough space to layer if I need to. Perhaps it is slightly too long for some around here, but I went for a slightly more modern fit View attachment 618176 View attachment 618177
The jacket suits you very well. This is a 90% success rate. The rest can be solved. Give yourself some time to think calmly. Try to talk to Greg about how to fix this.

Aloysius

To my surprise, Greg sent me a video with the jacket 80% made already and a message "you will notice I didn't use your zips, but I was already stressed out with time and had to go with something I knew, sorry". I will say exactly what I told him, this is rather frustrating, as I've been talking about these zips for long enough, and he already worked with them before. I understand there are decisions that are up to the artisan in this type of job, however using "time" as an excuse is just poor form, the jacket is already at least 6 months late, and I waited patiently.

IMO you should have refused the jacket at this stage. I don't think what happened is acceptable but the fact that you were presented with the mistake and didn't push back doesn't help. At least you're UK based so you can post it back pretty cheaply and quickly. I had an issue with my jacket and since I pushed back they offered a solution.

The zipper thing wasn't a small deal. I actually sympathize with Greg for being sick of these custom projects and discontinuing them but ultimately you were part of the batch that came in before that line so he needs to do them as requested.

These cuffs are an absolute joke, you wouldnt see this on a 200 dollar mall jacket. Why on earth would anyone sew them ontop of the lining and expose the leather instead of the other way around?

I've had these cuffs on jackets before actually, but at least one of those jackets is a factory prototype so that finishing didn't matter so much.

The only thing about the fitting that I disliked is this fold near the collar... Feels like the neck whole wasn't deep enough

It's hard to make out from your photo but I also had an uncomfortable neck fold when new on my Field, but I think that was the stiffness of the Shinki because after a day of light rain it settled. Your fit does seem to be perfect.

Rm759

New in Town
The fit does look great. If you're happy w the leather and fit, I'd do what CP suggested and get back to Greg soon and work it out where he replaces the zips and does the cuff leather and you'll have a great jacket.

MrProper

I think it's still frustrating. Waiting 16 months, spending a medium fortune and then having a repaired jacket? I think the best option to close the chapter is to return it.
The jacket looks good, but if the overall package doesn't fit, there's always a bitter taste.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
There's no justification for those cuffs.
I never heard anyone complain about the cuffs on their freewheelers LaBrea. I guess this finish was how it was done on original Leathertogs jackets.

(Pic from @Canuck Panda)

IMG_1371.jpeg

Original leathertogs

IMG_1373.jpeg

I never heard anyone complain about the cuffs on their freewheelers LaBrea. I guess this finish was how it was done on original Leathertogs jackets.

(Pic from @Canuck Panda)

View attachment 618205

Original leathertogs

View attachment 618206

Huh! Now that you mention it, the sleeves on the 50's Cal that I had were finished just like that, too. Is Greg always doing cuffs that way on his jackets? If so then okay. But I just didn't see that on new jackets. They always make it neater.

There just seems to be a lot of loose material on this jacket. I don't know, doesn't look very nice to me.

jeo

One Too Many
This is the fit, I think it fit quite well, the way that I wanted. Real comfy and with enough space to layer if I need to. Perhaps it is slightly too long for some around here, but I went for a slightly more modern fit View attachment 618176 View attachment 618177
Fits great. I’d keep if it was mine despite the issues. I’d express my disappointment though and see what Greg says.

cbez

One Too Many
I personally like some raw edge on cuffs cuz it lets you see the whole leather, dye process and thickness.

Aloysius

I personally like some raw edge on cuffs cuz it lets you see the whole leather, dye process and thickness.

I don’t mind it aesthetically but on the days I wear the Apple Watch instead of a mechanical it gets caught on them. Otherwise, no issue and like you I enjoy seeing the leather fully.

Still that doesn’t seem to be what he wanted so it should be an easy fix for Sam and Greg.

Squirrel_hero

Familiar Face
I think the jacket came out great but personally if I waited 16 months for a custom jacket and had picked out zippers that I sent him special for it I’d be devastated that he didn’t use the zippers! Kinda the whole point of going custom.. the jacket came out great though! Looks like it fits nicely. But yeah I would expect a discount or something. The cuffs don’t bother me THAT much they definitely don’t look polished it’s more of a raw unfinished look especially without the leather behind it. Definitely bummer sorry you’re disappointed.
I’m on the wait list right now too. lots of months to go. Wouldn’t mind if he improved the cuffs by the time my orders up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB123