Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedora

Vendor
from even winchester will taper to a point. if not reblocked soon enough, to where the felt will be unable to regain it's old height.

I have to disagree. I reblock hats all the time. I can always get the original crown height back from the Winchester felt. At least so far, so good.

just already knew that All Beaver does not a unshrinkable hat make...

Unless it is vintage. I agree. I just hate that you judged beaver felt by using what you bought from you know who. I bet you there was little beaver in that hat regardless of the claims. I have yet to see a bad pure beaver felt. But, I am not saying it does not exist, but just that I have never seen one to date. I have seen bad rabbit, bad blends, but no bad beaver that was truly beaver. I am still looking.

you tend to buffalo people into your side before you learn the truth, then when you learn the truth you apologize.

Touche. Actually I have never apolgized for misleading anyone. The reason is because I have not mislead. I still say modern beaver is more shrink resistant than rabbit, or the blends. I still say it is a finer felt. I still say it is a better felt. I still say it is the more durable and will last the longest. For me to say differently would be at odds with what the hat industry has always known. Beaver is the best fur to use to make.......any hat, dress or staple. The reason it is not used is only because of the cost. There are fur felt hats and there are beaver hats.

Now, at one time, I thought perhaps that the techniques used to block and finish the hats had something to do with the taper element. I discovered, through actually making hats that this was not the case. What does affect the outcome is the size of the body you are starting with, and the quality of felt you are using. So, I learned from the experience, and looked elsewhere for the reasons. Dead felt. Or if it goes down better, how about aged felt. Yeah, I like the sound of that much better, and it could be a marketing tool for a vintage refurbisher.

I can also validate your claims about some of the players you mention being major flip flopper at any given time concerning his opinions of hats, felts, hatters and his hats as well as anything related to hatting. He certainly has done a fair share of backing up and appolgizing .

Flip flopper. Look, I would rather have an honest change of opinion than to be unable to admit I was wrong. I am interested in knowing exactly in detail the flip flops you refer to. If you are gonna accuse me of something, back it up with some substance. I am all ears. ;)

Hmmm. Here's a color photo taken on a Chicago street in 1939. Spot the taper?

Taper? What taper? The chap probably could not afford a 50 cent reblock. Fedora

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Visigoth said:
Thick felt, almost longhaired, but it can be molded without steam, and will hold its shape perfectly, and return to form.

I absolutely agree with you, Visigoth. The most extraordinary fedora I own is a "thick, almost longhaired" Scott & Co. from the early '30s. It's shape is exactly the same as it must have been when new (as in the photo at right):

shoos-1.jpg
evenmorehats010.jpg

clevispin

One of the Regulars
YeeHaww! My kinda thread.

dil¬?et¬?tante (dl-t?§nt, dl-t?§nt, -t?§nt, -tnt, -tnt) KEY

NOUN:
pl. dil¬?et¬?tantes , also dil¬?et¬?tan¬?ti (-t?§nt, -tn-) KEY
A dabbler in an art or a field of knowledge. See Synonyms at amateur.

m

Fedora

Vendor
Looks like Charlie has snuck in again. Lower 40, you sound like a guy I know. The writing is better, but there are too many clues that rat ya out, at least for me. I wonder how you did it this time?? I have a feeling you are becoming quite the hacker. You are quite adept at presenting the plot of Needful Things wherever you wander, or slip into. :p Fedora

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Hm. We won't know whether this is The Swindler unless he starts saying hilariously uninformed things about the quality of vintage Borsalinos.

I've been checking out his hat gallery, by the way, and his 3,000,000,000X hats are nice enough looking: I'm willing to believe that he's almost in the first league, even if most people acknowledge that he's not quite a master hatter. The ribbon work really is marvellous (it seems his wife is the real artist in the family). But there are a number of hatters out there who are slightly better, and who don't have the same repulsive personality -- I can't imagine dealing with this joker.

And the truth is that a top quality vintage Knox or Borsalino will blow any of his hats out of the water, and cost you a LOT less.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
10_9_211.gif

I can't imagine dealing with this joker.

I wonder if its Zane!

I know its you Charlie your arrogance and your know it all attitude is one of many reasons I hate your lieing a**. You are a crook, con and poor excuse for a hatter. Have your fun it won't last long...You piece of s***..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld