Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

friends and family make life worth living. Looks like a great time Che & Mike.

congrats on wearing your own B-man. always makes work more fun

Weekend in the chitty (NYC, and a day and a half, actually) to inspect my daughter/son-in-law's new apartment, and overeat.

The Vampire State Building makes a lovely backdrop... VS Dove for a bright but chilly day.

A tree-hugger in the park - made of LEGOS, every brick has a name written on it, presumably the builders?

Stopped back at our hotel, changed to STEEL.

Of COURSE they had to go there... my BEST half and her protégé!

MY turn!!! A quick visit to J.J.Hat Center on 5th Avenue. I Got really steamed when I inadvertently stepped on the steam machine foot-activated switch while Rod was brushing up my VS Steel. I needed a facial anyway... GREAT visit, no purchase! NOTE to A. Fawcett: I was told by the sales "consultant" that they really don't carry hats of the quality of a VS Custom. Close, but ART wins!!

They've re-decorated at SAMMY's FAMOUS ROUMANIAN Steakhouse... And yes, that balding guy is my baby bro. HE needs a hat. I still have most of my locks...

As we were riding home, my daughter texted. According to her phone app, we walked a touch over 6.5 miles on Saturday. I should have eaten MORE.

Thanks, Aaron. I hope you made note of the box on the table... T'is the season! But more amazing, and a thrill to the cardiologist is the small pitcher of SHMALTZ, always at the ready for the chopped liver. Amazingly yummy, but no wonder so many of our forefathers lived to be (maybe) 40.

Last time I ate there, David Lee Roth showed up with an entourage, and as the night went on he joined the piano player in an impromptu jam session. Great place. BYOB; Bring your own Brioschi...

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I noticed both and was jealous that you were in the land of restaurants that are KLP! Ever tell you about the friend of mine who grabbed the schmaltz thinking it was oj? That's not a mistake you make twice.

A

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great pics Charlie, great looking family! I am jealous of all the hat shop visits as of late. The nearest real hat shops to here are 5 hours away!
By the by I am sure I could look it up but I think it would be more fun to ask you Charlie and Aaron - What is Shmaltz?

g.durand

One Too Many
Thanks for sharing pics of you and your lovely companions, Charlie. There is nothing like a visit to Manhattan! A Londoner once told me she liked NY because "it is just so there."

... nice looking hats, too. :eusa_clap

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Great pics Charlie, great looking family! I am jealous of all the hat shop visits as of late. The nearest real hat shops to here are 5 hours away!
By the by I am sure I could look it up but I think it would be more fun to ask you Charlie and Aaron - What is Shmaltz?

Rendered chicken fat, used as a seasoning in certain cases and in general cooking in others. Given that a lot of Jewish families prepared chicken dinners of type or another almost every Friday night, schmaltz was an easy-to-come-by commodity. Think lard for people who can't use lard. :)

A

On the train with the wife Easter weekend.

20140418_171807_resized.jpg 20140418_171617_resized.jpg

Thank you for the kind comments, gents! Aaron, thanks for that excellent explanation of schmaltz; lthough it's impossible to make it sound good!

Right you are, Roger! A big swig would be eye-opening, at least.

Alan your whirlwind NYC visit last week really produced some wonderful perspectives.

Richard the bluebell scenery is spectacular, with the macro shot standing out in my mind. What camera/lens do you use?

Great train photos, Harv, enhanced by that great lid, beautiful wife!

Last edited:
Beautiful shot, Joao! However, the background of this photo of Richard's is so well faded (now called "boka," fka "depth of field") that the effect looks to be made by a full size chunk of glass (lens).

See la difference...

The camera improvement in the iPhone 4s and 5 is significant. But the depth of field remains huge. Adjustments in an image processing app or program are needed to blur the background.

Or THIS...
http://store.sony.com/smartphone-attachable-lens-style-camera-zid27-DSCQX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-Cameras?XID=O:lens%20cameras%20%20sony:dg_di_msnsrch:b&k_id=32d0baa1-d62c-6ca8-db38-000053f0246c&adparam=sem73p1467445&searchdef=2443051&k_clickid=32d0baa1-d62c-6ca8-db38-000053f0246c&affcode=1467445&002=2443051&006=3598338394&007={ifcontent:Content}{ifsearch:Search}&008={placement}&009=b&012=lens%20cameras%20%20sony&021=25485445614&025=c&026={devicemodel}&005=24758569385&011=sony%20camera.com&020=28948530454

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NYC appears to have been very popular with loungers this last weekend! Surprising none of us bumped into each-other.
I took my family and a couple of friends into the American museum of natural history on Saturday. It's extremely dark in most of the museum so I didn't get much worth posting but here's a couple of photos from the trip.
IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82