Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Loungers on MySpace

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Seeing as I am several years behind the curve on these sorts of things, I need someone to explain myspace to me as I just don't see the point. I'm certain I'm missing something, but it's just not obvious to me. You create a page about yourself, some friends join up, and everyone posts quick messages back and forth.

That's all good and fine, but you could just as easily email or text the same messages back and forth. Why myspace and not a blog? Has anyone made any business or professional contacts via myspace, or met new people via myspace?

I wish I understood this, but to date I do not, and am searching for enlightenment.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
nobodyspecial said:
That's all good and fine, but you could just as easily email or text the same messages back and forth. Why myspace and not a blog? Has anyone made any business or professional contacts via myspace, or met new people via myspace?

I wish I understood this, but to date I do not, and am searching for enlightenment.

I kind of feel the same way - I guess it's a way to "express yourself" through the layout you choose, music you put on, list all of your interests, etc. The "Friends" part seems to me more like a popularity contest - let's see who has more friends on their page! But you have to know a lot of them aren't real, "in person" friends, just contacts made via the internet.

I also think it's a generational thing - it's just how the 15 - 25 yr old set chooses to communicate these days (along with cell phones and texting!).

However, Myspace does offer a blog that comes along with your account, so you do have the option of blogging if you wish.

That being said, here's my page: http://www.myspace.com/gingerella72

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MySpace is a tool and an effective one at that. I have met a lot of people through there and have made enough money from my burgeoning photography business to pay for all of my equipment, my camera, my lenses,all of it; all through MySpace.

I have also used it to great effect to promote my articles that have been published including those in Classic Style.

I have also met some friends through there, some people that I corresponded with then pulled into my real world. I have met some wonderful and kindred spirits there and anytime I travel, I catch up with someone.

Lastly, it is a great way to keep up with your friends and to see what is going on in their lives.

www.myspace.com/timothysteiner

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
That's interesting. So if I'm a random myspace user, how do I stumble upon you to do photography for me? Were these referrals from other myspace users, or did someone search for phtographers and find you?

I played with the search feature last night and my searches either turned up nothing, too specific, or pages of people, too general.

There has got to be more to this than I realize, I'm just having a hard time making the mental connection from end to end. Not uncommon, especially considering I've only had half a pot of coffee yet today, way under my quota.

Also, again, why myspace and not a blog? Or is it a matter of myspace simply having more hits than blogs?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
nobodyspecial said:
That's interesting. So if I'm a random myspace user, how do I stumble upon you to do photography for me? Were these referrals from other myspace users, or did someone search for phtographers and find you?

Also, again, why myspace and not a blog? Or is it a matter of myspace simply having more hits than blogs?
People click around in MySpace from one user to another. If your page is interesting enough, people stay awhile. A blog wouldn't funnel people in as much.

Adele

One of the Regulars
pdxvintagette said:
Typically, my rule has been only to add people I've actually talked to in person, or local bands... But the fact is, I would LOVE to meet all the folks from these boards....

I pretty much feel the same way.

I also need to find that FL group. How neat, though! I didn't know it existed.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
Oh all right, Miss Daisy finally got me to cave. My privacy settings are cranked to "EXTREME", though, so you'll have to drop a PM here for my lastname or email, and even there I've taken "obfuscative measures"...

http://www.myspace.com/diamondback_six

Wow -- it's the end of an era. Or the beginning of a new ...

As always, Diamonback (and anyone else!) I am at

myspace.com/458BC

And I am happy to add vintage people as Friends. As an amusing game, I always promote to the top of my friends list the women whose myspace avatars are the sexiest ... regardless of whether I have ever met the person ...

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Doran said:
And I am happy to add vintage people as Friends. As an amusing game, I always promote to the top of my friends list the women whose myspace avatars are the sexiest ... regardless of whether I have ever met the person ...

all RIGHT, i made it!!! woohoo!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe