Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Cartoons from your Childhood

nyx

One of the Regulars
I noticed a lot of people put cartoons in their favorite TV shows list. So, I thought I'd start a new list of your favorite cartoons.

Here's mine:

1. GI Joe (Knowing is half the battle!)
2. Transformers
3. Jem (is excitement!)
4. Rocko's Modern Life
5. Scooby Doo (without Scrappy)
6. Gargoyles (so sad when they took this off the air)
7. Batman (the ones before they changed the animation)
8. Muppet Babies
9. Speed Buggy
10. Sponge Bob Squarepants

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Out of the Inkwell (Originally done in 1919)
Crusader Rabbit (first made for tv cartoon, circa 1952)
Popeye (original Max Fleischer)
BUGS BUNNY!
Betty Boop

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Any of the old Warner Bros. Cartoons from the late 30's through the late 40's that had Carl Staling doing the music.
All of the old Goofy cartoons, especially any of the ones dealing with sporting events and athletics.
sdisneyanimationart.2508.jpeg
sdisneyanimationart.2466.jpeg
goofy1.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Ohh how I love the old Goofy sporting cartoons be it from the skiing one to the lifting weights one they are always a pleasure. I am also a fan of old Warner Bros., Old Disney shorts, Tom and Jerry, and Woody Wood Pecker and Chilly Willy.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
The Simpsons
Rocko's Modern Life
Ren & Stimpy (such a bad influence...)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Transformers
Street Sharks (bahaha)
Looney Tunes

And then we had these videos of the really classic cartoons...I LOVED those! It's funny, they seem so violent when you watch them these days, compared to the bland, censored stuff on TV now.

fernande

Vendor
I used to have all these cool VHS tapes of all cartoons that used to be shown in the intermission periods of movies in the 30s/40s. (I think?)
old mickey mouse-betty boop, weird shorts-WWII news-
There was also this amazing cartoon, of Sally RAND- doing a bubble dance and a fan dance. I mean of course, it was totally tame, but I remember being about 9 and thinking "hrmmmmm, she's so glamourous" So this must have been made when Sally Rand was "in vogue" and completely mainstream (since it was a cartoon!)

next time I go home I'm going to dig around and see if I can't find these tapes.
they were collections- has anyone seen these? If I can find them. I'm totally going to YOUTUBE them.

I was also partial to Smurfs. I had a soft spot for Gargamel (sp)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
From when I was a kid Mighty Mouse (yes, it was reruns, then I think they also redid them for a bit), Smurfs, Care Bears, Gummy Bears.
Then prebubesant/adulesant (spelling sucks and I don't feal like looking for the correct spellings at the moment) years would be He-Man, She-Ra, Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garfield....I could go on and on....cartoons back then in the 80's early 90's rocked. Then they started to suck. You notice there really are no Saturday morning cartoons now. <sigh>

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
hann_logo_3.jpg

Anything Hanna-Barbera, but especially-

The Huckleberry Hound Show
Quick Draw McGraw
The Flintstones
Top Cat
The Yogi Bear Show
Wally Gator
The Jetsons
The Magilla Gorilla Show
Jonny Quest
Captain Caveman
The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show
Dastardly and Muttley and Their Flying Machines

Doh!

One Too Many
Easy: Bugs Bunny.

Specifically, as seen in Rabbit's Kin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit's_Kin

"How many lumps do you want?"

--"Oh, three or four!"

(*Bang!* *Bang!* *Bang!!*)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Off the top of my head . . .

• W.I.T.C.H - er, so when does childhood end again?; still annoyed they dropped this one :mad:
  • Smurfs -*music: lah lah li lah li lah*
  • Clutch Cargo - wow, has cartoon animation come a long way since Clutch bobbed up and down static backdrops! don't let me get started on the wooden totally unrelated to the words being spoken mouth movements :p
  • ThunderCats - way more intricate plot and less two dimensional characters than the Transformers, but not all agree with me on that one
  • any one of Pluto's too few cartoons
  • Jetsons - "meet George Jetson. . . "
  • The Flintstones - "Yabba dabba doooooo!"
  • Dudley DoRight
  • Fractured Fairy Tales
  • The silent spies from the Rock & Bullwinkle Show
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - took a while for me to get into them in spite of the clever cultural allusions; now that I am though :D
  • Pepe LePew(?sp) - a true gentleman w/a unique tragic flaw
  • Betty Boop - "boop boop ba do"
  • Speed Racer
  • Fat Albert - "hey, hey, hey! It's Faaat Albert."
  • Sabrina the teenage witch
  • The Ghost Busters - they were far superior to Scooby Doo & co; remember their gooey little mascot? :)
  • She-Ra & Hercules - there was another one set in Greco-Roman times, but the name eludes me right now
  • Roadrunner(?) - the one where Wiley Coyote keeps coming up with more and more elaborate backfiring schemes to destroy the oblivious "beep beep" :) roadrunner

Those are the ones I remember looking forward to seeing. There are many more which will bubble to the surface within seconds of posting, but those are the ones that come to mind right away and lift my spirit with the remembrance.

Now, if you want to talk feature length . . .
Okay, include the Disney & Pixar stuff if you want, but I am thinking more anime, and others like Titan A. E.. Now, that list is really, really long.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the 1950s there were TONS of cartoons from the 30s-40s on. There were many beyond the better known larger studio ones too. And they ALL were drawn with an adequate number of sketches per second of film before the Japanese totally ruined cartoons forever with the lesser number and one dimensional "cardboard" faces with crapily moving lips.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
In the late 1970s and early 1980s the Filmation company had several adventure cartoons that I liked quite a bit, including Flash Gordon, Zorro, and The Lone Ranger. I think they might have been rotoscoped, but the animation, music, and overrall presentation made an impact on me. I aslo liked the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon that everyone knows the theme song to. That particular cartoon had some stellar incidental music as well, which I still haven't forgotten nearly 30 years later!

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Most definitly the first Tom & Jerry and the classic Looney Tunes from the fifties. Even to this day I still know all the dialogs from those corny cartoons.

Starius

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
Kidd Video

http://youtube.com/user/toolbot

Acid trip cartoon mixed with a live-action fictional band who perform the sweetest, sickest, most insipidly wonderful and over-produced fake pop music I've ever heard! :)

I love it even more as an adult.

Hah, funny that I saw this today because a few hours ago I was singing the "run! run! you better run run!" song to myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe