Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic hides

patterson

One of the Regulars
A couple points:

Kangaroo: I’ve owned several jackets made from various tannages of kangaroo. I’ve purchased hides from David Morgan (whip maker for all 4 Indiana Jones movies now) and had jackets made and have also purchased an Indy jacket as well as an A2 made from kangaroo from US Wings. The jackets made from the hides secured from David Morgan were more desirable as the skins Wings used were basically “painted”… Regardless, the leather is lighter than lamb and tougher than any other leather.

Elephant: I’ve owned cowboy boots made from elephant, and they continue to make them. Some states prohibit the sale and some even the possession of products made from elephant.

The company that provides the skins for the elephant is licensed under contract to process carcasses taken as part of an annual harvest of animals. This is a population control issue, so not all animals taken are old and/or infirmed. It’s population control – period. Same with the kangaroo – they are considered pests in Australia and the government orders an annual harvest to control the population.

I also have a very old pair of cowboy boots that are made from green sea turtle. They were made before the species was deemed endangered and were taken legally – however I do not wear them through airports or other customs-controlled areas as the fine would be $1,000 per boot and might even entail jail time – regardless of the proof of their origin… They are beautiful, though…

Guess I'd better go back into witness protection now...

J

JohnTheGreek

patterson said:
Some states prohibit the sale and some even the possession of products made from elephant.

Interestingly, the same is true for kangaroo. Try getting Cabela's to ship a pair Browning kangaroo hide boots to California !

Best,

John

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had sealskin mukluks as a child, with some beautiful beadwork.

Years ago my mom had a very pretty sealskin parka one of her students gave her. Unfortunately one of the dachshunds decided seal was on its list of "natural prey".

patterson

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
I had sealskin mukluks as a child, with some beautiful beadwork.

Years ago my mom had a very pretty sealskin parka one of her students gave her. Unfortunately one of the dachshunds decided seal was on its list of "natural prey".

LOL! Well, then I won't tell you what I think the cat is doing with the turtle boots when she can get into my closet... :eek:

patterson

One of the Regulars
JohnTheGreek said:
Interestingly, the same is true for kangaroo. Try getting Cabela's to ship a pair Browning kangaroo hide boots to California !

Best,

John

A buddy of mine works for Boot Barn in LA. Their distribution center in Vegas accidentally loaded an LA-bound truck with elephant skin boots. Word leaked out somehow and before they could get the truck turned around at the state line, the truck and all the inventory was seized. They burned the boots... :rage: Sometimes I miss California, but memories like that story make it easier...

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Think globally-act locally

patterson said:
A buddy of mine works for Boot Barn in LA. Their distribution center in Vegas accidentally loaded an LA-bound truck with elephant skin boots. Word leaked out somehow and before they could get the truck turned around at the state line, the truck and all the inventory was seized. They burned the boots... :rage:
patterson said:
In return I shall burn the ivory grips of our family fork and knive set inherited from great-grandparents. No certificates sorry, "Golden era", pre-WWII.
I will call my mentor who taught me painting that he shall burn the ivory keyboard of his beloved C. Bechstein piano.

In hope that resurrects the original tusk owners, who would have met Joe Black anyway one day-like any organism.

To save the planet, you know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracelsus

Paracelsus, sometimes called the "father" of toxicology, wrote:

German: Alle Ding' sind Gift und nichts ohn' Gift; allein die Dosis macht, dass ein Ding kein Gift ist.
"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

All things:planet saving, hunting, population, posessing, etc.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tom your are suggesting.....????

Tom

You are suggesting that a lot of this environmentalist propaganda ie "the world will end next week" "we will all be drowned in our beds form global warming of glaciers" is bunkum and the protagonists are "full of it"?

Please advise.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Turning Turtle

patterson said:
A couple points:

I also have a very old pair of cowboy boots that are made from green sea turtle. They were made before the species was deemed endangered and were taken legally – however I do not wear them through airports or other customs-controlled areas as the fine would be $1,000 per boot and might even entail jail time – regardless of the proof of their origin… They are beautiful, though…

Guess I'd better go back into witness protection now...

Is the skin like this ?

HungaryTom

One Too Many
cookie said:
Tom

You are suggesting that a lot of this environmentalist propaganda ie "the world will end next week" "we will all be drowned in our beds form global warming of glaciers" is bunkum and the protagonists are "full of it"?

Please advise.

Dear Cookie,

I thank you for the superb photo.
I am not suggesting.
I can't advise.
Really.
I am just "New in town":rolleyes:
I only agree w. Paracelsus.
Over-population of the planet by humans is poison
Over-consumption is poison
Over-reaction like -burning what is lost anyway, generating re-supply - is poison.
Over-hunting is poison - loss of species

0 human population would be also poison (no FL)
0 consumption is also poison – (no FL)
0 attention to the environment is also poison – happened to many lost civilizations
0 hunting is also poison – letting Elephants grazing closed reserves to deserts.

• World will end next week? :)
• It is up to anyone to decide in which cosmology one would accept and consult for the description of end-times. None of the serious ones has an exact schedule. If yes, pls. beware!!!:D

Bisonhide-horside jacket comparison needed please. This is easier to suggest and advise.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I have a pair of Luchese elephant hide boots, probably the tuffest leather I've seen, you cant even scratch it with your fingernail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe