Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

DesertDan

One Too Many
Ya'll are making me jealous with these cars.
For $1,000 we just picked up a '94 GMC Suburban, 4x4 lifted. And yes, it runs. It was owned by a now-deceased friend of ours, an actor from A-Team, Stripes, Star Trek, and was friends with Elvis.

Wow, Mr. L had quite the career didn't he!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yup, the TBI 350 and a pre-OBDII model. That was an excellent era for the full-size Chevrolet.

I am still driving the 1996 Tahoe that I purchased in November of '95. It has that OBDII connection, but I don't see how it has affected the machine's longevity. As of the last oil change we are at 437,938 miles. This machine was fitted with the 5.7L 8 and the heavy trailer towing package, and has been used extensively fro towing (and so the transmission has been rebuilt once). Little wrist pin slap on start up, but the car has had that since about 150,ooo miles.

Why mention the OBDII connection as if it were a liability? Is the OBDII connection supposed to inhibit performance or longevity?

I have nothing against OBD-II, my '96 Fleetwood and my '01 Silverado both have it.

For plenty of people in the auto world, however, less is more, including computers.

Does that have the 4L60E? Those were known to fail under tougher towing conditions.

I am still driving the 1996 Tahoe that I purchased in November of '95. It has that OBDII connection, but I don't see how it has affected the machine's longevity. As of the last oil change we are at 437,938 miles. This machine was fitted with the 5.7L 8 and the heavy trailer towing package, and has been used extensively fro towing (and so the transmission has been rebuilt once). Little wrist pin slap on start up, but the car has had that since about 150,ooo miles.

Why mention the OBDII connection as if it were a liability? Is the OBDII connection supposed to inhibit performance or longevity?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The reason I made the statement, is because a buddy in HS (a year or two after we got out) had a 90 model Silverado.
It had 300K on it before I knew it, and still ran great.
Don't want to change the oil like you should? My BIL got 230K out of his before it started smoking really bad, and didn't have the power it used to. However, he sold it for $300 dollars that way, and the guy he sold it to drove it for a few years more.
If Chevy had stayed making that kind of quality they wouldn't have to try and give the cars away. Well at their prices, they aren't giving them away...
On a related note...I saw a Hyundai Genesis at Costco last week. Nice looking car, but it's $40K. Uh no.
See they are going after the BMW and Mercedes market from what I remember. But when you trade it, the car doesn't have those symbols on it, and I wonder how much you lose (of the $40K).

The reason I made the statement, is because a buddy in HS (a year or two after we got out) had a 90 model Silverado.
It had 300K on it before I knew it, and still ran great.
Don't want to change the oil like you should? My BIL got 230K out of his before it started smoking really bad, and didn't have the power it used to. However, he sold it for $300 dollars that way, and the guy he sold it to drove it for a few years more.
If Chevy had stayed making that kind of quality they wouldn't have to try and give the cars away. Well at their prices, they aren't giving them away...
On a related note...I saw a Hyundai Genesis at Costco last week. Nice looking car, but it's $40K. Uh no.
See they are going after the BMW and Mercedes market from what I remember. But when you trade it, the car doesn't have those symbols on it, and I wonder how much you lose (of the $40K).
The Genesis looks uncomfortable inside with that jammed in look and those butt pincher seats. If that is suppose to be their high end model then they need some help. lol lol The inside looks cheap all over.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HI

I rented a Ford Escape while the Subaru is in the shop. Too much electronics to ever make antique car status in Kansas (20 years). It has a touch panel to control everything from heat to the "entertainment system". That won't be available after seven years or so. Rear camera for backing up, probably because the vision out the back is terrible. No key, you have to have to have the electronic fob in the car, and push the button on the car, with the brake in and it will start. Oh, and I drove it 100 miles and it needed 6.54 gallons of gas to fill it back up. JEEEEZZZZZ.

B*tching mode off now.

HI

I rented a Ford Escape while the Subaru is in the shop. Too much electronics to ever make antique car status in Kansas (20 years). It has a touch panel to control everything from heat to the "entertainment system". That won't be available after seven years or so. Rear camera for backing up, probably because the vision out the back is terrible. No key, you have to have to have the electronic fob in the car, and push the button on the car, with the brake in and it will start. Oh, and I drove it 100 miles and it needed 6.54 gallons of gas to fill it back up. JEEEEZZZZZ.

B*tching mode off now.

Geez, my 86 brougham gets that kind of mileage. lol lol lol 15mpg?! Was it at least comfortable? :eusa_doh: They look pretty darn cheap and ugly but.....:p

Justin B

One Too Many
And now for something completely different. Art deco Superhero posters....

vintagehero7.jpg

vintagehero4.jpg

vintagehero2(1).jpg

vintagehero1.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Geez, my 86 brougham gets that kind of mileage. lol lol lol 15mpg?! Was it at least comfortable? :eusa_doh: They look pretty darn cheap and ugly but.....:p

Hi James

It was fairly comfortable, but was pretty tall and top heavy. EVERYTHING on the inside was plastic. You had to be setting inside the car with the electronic tracking fob to make it go. I found that weird, but I've been using keys for 30 years.

The 15 mph MAY have been because they didn't fill it up all of the way. It wasn't the Bat-mobile that's for sure.

I felt a little like I was driving the top of the line Pioneer Stereo. That will make sense to the aged among us.

later

Hi James

It was fairly comfortable, but was pretty tall and top heavy. EVERYTHING on the inside was plastic. You had to be setting inside the car with the electronic tracking fob to make it go. I found that weird, but I've been using keys for 30 years.

The 15 mph MAY have been because they didn't fill it up all of the way. It wasn't the Bat-mobile that's for sure.

I felt a little like I was driving the top of the line Pioneer Stereo. That will make sense to the aged among us.

later

I hate the key fob junk. Fortunately, the Escalade still lets you use the key but it is kind of a quaint thing because it is only for the driver door---nothing else.
Driving the Pioneer eh? It had a good audio system and that was it. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken