Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elton John's Vintage B-Day

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
True men of action have velcro buttons.

...no, they use magnets. Velcro makes noise and alerts that pesky guard that you're reaching into your jacket for your suppressed Walther.

Jovan

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
but shurely McCartney's waistcoat is fitting all wrong? Should not extend below the the jacket, i thought . . . and rightfully so, looks terrible (as, frankly, does McCartney).

bk
I think it looks perfectly fine, and I've never heard such a ridiculous rule. Obviously if it's jutting out REALLY far it's horrid.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
but shurely McCartney's waistcoat is fitting all wrong? Should not extend below the the jacket, i thought . . . and rightfully so, looks terrible (as, frankly, does McCartney).

bk

Seconded...almost as bad as an ill fitting shirt that pouches out

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jovan said:
I think it looks perfectly fine, and I've never heard such a ridiculous rule. Obviously if it's jutting out REALLY far it's horrid.
Baron's right on this one, Jovan. It has the effect of your shirt tails being un-tucked or your tie extending below your jacket. ;)

iammatt

Familiar Face
Jovan said:

IIRC, back in the day (not sure when) this vest lower look was the standard. Now it is not. At least there is some history for it.

The Wingnut said:
...no, they use magnets. Velcro makes noise and alerts that pesky guard that you're reaching into your jacket for your suppressed Walther.

How does this affect use of magnetic watches? Oh, what a secret agent must go through in the line of duty! All he wanted was to pull a boat across alligator-infested waters, and his cuffs kept popping pen. [sigh]

bk

Jovan said:

I'm not promoting it as a rule, just that it looks bad. Check out his sides - it's like the shirt-gap with an ill-fitting (too short) waistcoat. It looks sloppy to me.

I like the crookedness of his bowtie, though.

bk

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Something like this?

Baron Kurtz said:
I was just thinking that he reminds me of some of the photos of you, Paddy.

bk

PaddyMatt.jpg
[/IMG]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shucks!! thanks Pete!!!

I'm in DOUBLE OHHHHH HEAVEN now with that!!! and maybe just a tad SHAKIN...but definitely not stirred :) Another cup of Joe please Funny Penney!!

Can I just say gents, I know it's the easiest thing in the world to give negative criticism, (I'm guilty too of this!!!) and I also know coming from most of you chaps, it is well intentioned and shows just how much you 'love' and are into vintage clothing and 'getting the look just right.' As the saying goes..."God is in the details."

But for a high profile professional like Daniel to be show-casing a vintage suit and image as he does in this photograph and at this high-profile event with all the media coverage, let's make some allowances, as the overall benefits far outweigh any of the little niggly things like sleeve length.

You couldn't PAY for this type of vintage look endorsement, and I just think it's great for 'the look' and surely must give us all a buzz to know that 'we know' how HOT you can look in a 60+ -year-old suit and fedora!!!! Or certainly pay homage to that golden era with modern made clothes that pay a salute and tip of the hat to it.

Jovan

Suspended
Baron Kurtz said:
For fogeys like moi, what the hell does this mean? I see it all over the place and have never understood.

bk (txt spch lltrte)
"If I recall correctly."

I've heard people say either way what looks bad. From what I've seen it does looks better if the bottom of the waistcoat and coat are about the same shape.

Feraud

Bartender
PADDY said:
..as the overall benefits far outweigh any of the little niggly things like sleeve length.

You couldn't PAY for this type of vintage look endorsement, and I just think it's great for 'the look' and surely must give us all a buzz to know that 'we know' how HOT you can look in a 60+ -year-old suit and fedora!!!! Or certainly pay homage to that golden era with modern made clothes that pay a salute and tip of the hat to it.
Correct you are Paddy!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mr Goldfinger

PADDY said:
I'm in DOUBLE OHHHHH HEAVEN now with that!!! and maybe just a tad SHAKIN...but definitely not stirred :) Another cup of Joe please Funny Penney!!

Can I just say gents, I know it's the easiest thing in the world to give negative criticism, (I'm guilty too of this!!!) and I also know coming from most of you chaps, it is well intentioned and shows just how much you 'love' and are into vintage clothing and 'getting the look just right.' As the saying goes..."God is in the details."

But for a high profile professional like Daniel to be show-casing a vintage suit and image as he does in this photograph and at this high-profile event with all the media coverage, let's make some allowances, as the overall benefits far outweigh any of the little niggly things like sleeve length.

You are right Paddy re pedants ...never mind the quality... just check the width!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld