Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

randooch

I'll Lock Up
According to my "Acution Sniper" email yesterday Ebay is letting everyone post up to 250 items on Ebay for free today. This might cause a lot of people to list some nice hats we've all been watching for. I've noticed a lot of nice hats going for some decent prices lately. Still no 7 5/8 Whippets, Playboys or Strats but still some nice hats. I won't post any listings over here of course (rules is rules) but just wanted you guys to know in case you had not heard.

Interesting. I just posted a hat, and it wasn't free.

Just picked up http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270833249889#ht_4094wt_1392 as a bit of a beater. I love the look of it, and its not too fancy/expensive that I will care about getting it a bit dirty

Although the seller references the Stetson Stratoliner in describing the bound brim edge, this hat is more of the Wanderer configuration. I also like how it is listed as a "wide-brim" & "generous" at 2 3/8".
You got stylish beater at a decent price. Congrats....

EggHead

Practically Family
All of a sudden, there are many descriptions of hats using "Whippet-like".

Reminds me of that old commercial - I am not a doctor, but I play one on TV - Let me recommend this medicine..

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Gimbel hats sign - no sale
MVC-009S.jpg

MikePotts

Practically Family
Here's a copy of my recent post in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread concerning the Borsalino I bough last week-end

OK, time told - and I guess it's not all bad:

We seem to have an OK little stingy (2") overwelted brimmed Borsalino in sort of a 'camel' colour

sold by 'Mike The Hatter' as indicated on the liner

with the maker's trademark on the sweat.

Here's the problem:

a size label stating '7 1/4 Made in USA' with 'Amalgameted Clothing & Textile Workers Union' crest in the reverse

I'm a solid 7 3/4 and this hat fits like a 7 1/8, I bought it knowing that it would be small, hoping it would stretch a size, but it's not going to make it.... Oh Well, I'm into it cheap and I think I can get my money back locally, Bummer.

MP

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unrealistic expectation

Here's a copy of my recent post in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread concerning the Borsalino I bough last week-end

OK, time told - and I guess it's not all bad:

We seem to have an OK little stingy (2") overwelted brimmed Borsalino in sort of a 'camel' colour

sold by 'Mike The Hatter' as indicated on the liner

with the maker's trademark on the sweat.

Here's the problem:

a size label stating '7 1/4 Made in USA' with 'Amalgameted Clothing & Textile Workers Union' crest in the reverse

I'm a solid 7 3/4 and this hat fits like a 7 1/8, I bought it knowing that it would be small, hoping it would stretch a size, but it's not going to make it.... Oh Well, I'm into it cheap and I think I can get my money back locally, Bummer.

MP

I do not think a simple stretch will increase ANY hat four sizes, as you hoped to do, to say nothing of FIVE sizes. Ain't. Gwine. Happen.

Wait, what?...Borsalino "made in the USA"? Something is fishy here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Bollman made Borsos from the early 80s into the 90s (I believe that's the period) under license. Search Bollman and Borsalino and you'll find plenty of posts by besdor that probably narrow it down further.

From the Borso Brotherhood:
Borsalino hats have been made under license in other countries in the past. In the USa it was Bollman . In Columbia SA it was Colfieltros . Its realy not that hard to tell the difference between the origianl and the other versions. The quality is the first way to see the difference. USA made versions were stiffer and could not say "made in Italy" . The South American versions were trimmed terribly and also could not sat made in Italy. Colfieltros is out of business since 2007 and Bollman lost the license years ago .
As for older hats such as the Fu Lazzaro versions, I know that Borsalino bought out other companies over the years such as Vanzina which was in Pavia Italy .There were also two seperate distributors here in the USA back in the 1920's and they may have had slightly different versions made for each other. I have quite a few Fu Lazzaro Borsalino hats that were definately made by the origial Borsalino company back in the late 1950's . They had different labels for different quility levels.
Many of the Borsalino hats that are in the Museum in Alessandria do not have linings so it is difficult to tell what the quality levels were years ago . If anyone wanted to research what was sold here years ago , you need to finds copies of a magazine called " The American Hatter" It was a trade publication that existed from 1890 until 1937 . It was ads from all of the companies that were wround then and is very useful for dating hats .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Hatophile, Thanks! :) This one appears to be in NOS condition.

Manfred, Thanks! Great find with the Resistol. Do you know anything about Von Ekhardt?

Yes Steve, it was an German politician
Political career [edit]
Felix von Eckardt 1961 with spiritual dignitaries, Bonn

1952, began his political career when he took over in February, the Head of Press and Information Office of the Federal Government in Bonn. He was in fact government spokesman. From May 1955 to 1956 he acted as an observer at the United Nations in New York. Von Eckardt, who was considered a confidant of Chancellor Konrad Adenauer, these accompanied on his trip to Moscow in September 1955. In July 1956 he was again government spokesman. With generally recognized diplomatic skills he imparted in the public policy of Adenauer.

From 1958 to 1965, in von Eckardt Permanent State Secretary Federal Chancellery. At first he was speaker of the federal government, from 1962 Agent of the Federal Government in Berlin.

From 1965 to 1972 Eckhardt was a member of the German Bundestag. It was in 1965 for the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) was elected the first time a direct mandate in the electoral district of Wilhelmshaven.

Since 1973 he has lived, who was also known for its west-collection in Hamburg. He died in 1979 of a heart attack on Capri.
The Hat was a Gift from USA Präsident Lyndon B. Johnson to Eckardt

You're right. But quite a bit of British marketing - particularly caps for some reason - used that child-like lettering during the CC41 days. Note the lettering on "Ben Lomond"

3NewCC41Caps3.jpg

Saw the first one. Its kooky logo and lettering on the lining -- "The Skip!"-- seems so '60s or '70s ... I was really thrown for a loop when I spotted the CC41 there too! Weird, man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe