Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

red71veloce

Familiar Face
At what price? Seller ended the auction and they made a deal under the table.

B

The seller re-listed at the BIN price agreed upon.....you need to ask the buyer if you want to know it. I wasn't in on the deal but knew it was happening.......rare old hat in wonderful condition.....won't see many!

T

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
Lovely old 6 7/8 Whippet went for a fantastic price (not mine!).

$(KGrHqN,!h8E3Oef(tcjBO!5kw(+yQ~~0_12.JPG

$(KGrHqMOKicE3326-5RsBO!5wshL1!~~0_12.JPG

Yes, I saw that and drooled. Wish it would have been in my size (7 1/2) but then again, you would probably have to double the price.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
rrgh. I recently contacted a seller about a hat (actually he/she had several similar ones from different makers) that I thought was overmarked by a full decimal place. The seller was indeed polite and cordial in response (not snide like some of your experiences), but was certain the market would bear a $500 each price tag for a handful of 1920s-30s bowlers in reasonably good condition. If any of you would pay that amount for these hats, then I stand corrected, and good luck!

T Rick

Practically Family
Yes, I saw that and drooled. Wish it would have been in my size (7 1/2) but then again, you would probably have to double the price.

Maybe triple... maybe. They've been all over the place recently, both high and low. But 6 7/8 is going to go as cheap as they will go, so few these days seem to fit them (I've long thought the average person has gotten larger over the decades, hats seem to be one item of evidence that bears this out).

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
rrgh. I recently contacted a seller about a hat (actually he/she had several similar ones from different makers) that I thought was overmarked by a full decimal place. The seller was indeed polite and cordial in response (not snide like some of your experiences), but was certain the market would bear a $500 each price tag for a handful of 1920s-30s bowlers in reasonably good condition. If any of you would pay that amount for these hats, then I stand corrected, and good luck!

Upon closer inspection, there is conflicting sizing info on all of them as well. Apparently a 55, 59, and an M are all 22 1/2 inches! Well, you learn something new every day.

HatsEnough

Banned
I am jazzed about this Stetson.

I am not sure if this is a 1920s manufacture or a 1930s, but the owner died in 1939. Anyone have a clue on dates?

I don't know what it might be modelwise, but it is a beauty. Whatever model t is, it is expertly crafted. Felt is beautiful and soft but pliant. The interior is luxurious.

It is interesting that they took two 3/8 in flat ribbons and put them together to make it larger.

Plus it has some history with it. I bought it from the great grandson of the original owner.

History: Owned by Nathan Levy Post Master Visalia, California--Nathan Levy, son of Julius was Postmaster of Visalia up to the time of his death in 1939 at the age of 67. Arrived in California in 1863, in Tulare County in 1865. His daughter Rita married Marco Hellman of Los Angeles.

scaled.php

See that tiny little dark dot in the crown? That is the only real problem with this piece. It has a deep moth bite, or maybe its just a hole. There are some moth nips under the ribbon, but pulled down where it belongs, the bites are not seen.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

This hat seems to have been a very top of the line hat for its time. It's just stunning.

Last edited:

HatsEnough

Banned
The size tag would clue you in on the dating-unfortunately not visible here.

Unfortunately not visible here, either! The tag is long gone.

But here is a shot of the stickers inside and the box it came in (and I feel it might be the orig. box, but am not sure).

scaled.php

scaled.php

By the way, this thing fits more like a 7, even tho it says 6-7/8 size.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately not visible here, either! The tag is long gone.

But here is a shot of the stickers inside and the box it came in (and I feel it might be the orig. box, but am not sure).

scaled.php
With the stitched seem and reed cloth looks like probably late 30's or early 40's. Early 30's(and a bit earlier) had small round size stickers on the outside of the leather band to the left of the rear seem that might show residue. The keyhole card tags were sewn along with the bow to the rear of the band.

HatsEnough

Banned
Late 30s would work for the owner's life span, too. He passed in 1939, so it is feasible that he could have purchased the hat in the time of history I was given for his bio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe