Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Woodfluter

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
And I have to smile, remembering back to the days of calling the "time" number. Man, hadn't thought of that in years. But you're absolutely right. In fact, now that I think about it, I think the number in our area was TI6-1212! :) Cheers, JtL

Oh, I still do that! WWV, US Bureau of Standards time signal at 303-499-7111. Accurate to less than a millisecond.

Also at http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
But that one may be off by a third of a second. :p

And that Stetson clock is a handsome thing, Jimmy.

Optionseeker

New in Town
My new Snowy River!!

Just bought my first Akubra on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120597693868&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Fits nicely, price was fair and surprisingly, it was pretty local.

I'm going to try and do the photo thing {crosses fingers}

AkubraSnowyRiver062.jpg

Cheers,

John

Edit: Maybe this is the whole album...
http://s837.photobucket.com/albums/zz300/optionseeker/Akubra Snowy River/

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Won this Cavanagh Boater today for a decent price.

!BzZI2rQEWk~$(KGrHqUOKjUE)K,pWvP9BMV04ODKz!~~_12.JPG

It's a '50s or '60s Boater, possibly made in Italy, as I have no idea when Hat Corporation of America stopped making Boaters in Norwalk.

I've been wearing my '30s Dobbs Boater this summer, but I'm worried about damaging the sweatband, as it's a Bon Ton Ivy sweatband. I figure with this Cavanagh I can clean it up, put in a new sweatband that I don't have to worry about damaging, and have a good Go-To hat for summer wear. The fact that it's my exact size is a bonus.:)

Brad

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
Won this Cavanagh Boater today for a decent price.

!BzZI2rQEWk~$(KGrHqUOKjUE)K,pWvP9BMV04ODKz!~~_12.JPG

It's a '50s or '60s Boater, possibly made in Italy, as I have no idea when Hat Corporation of America stopped making Boaters in Norwalk.

I've been wearing my '30s Dobbs Boater this summer, but I'm worried about damaging the sweatband, as it's a Bon Ton Ivy sweatband. I figure with this Cavanagh I can clean it up, put in a new sweatband that I don't have to worry about damaging, and have a good Go-To hat for summer wear. The fact that it's my exact size is a bonus.:)

Brad
Nice snag! I was interested in this one as well.
When you could you post some action shots of the clean up>?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lost money on this one for sure.

1930s Stetson Homburg.

It's got some issues, but yowza! $16 for a well listed, 75 year old hat in wearable condition? That hardly covers all the time I spent cleaning, steaming and conditioning this one.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jeffconnors said:
Nice snag! I was interested in this one as well.
When you could you post some action shots of the clean up>?

I'm glad you weren't too interested.:D

Sure, I'll document it. It will probably take some testing to see what best to clean it with.

Brad

donnc

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
It's got some issues, but yowza! $16 for a well listed, 75 year old hat in wearable condition?

To me, it looks trashed. Old, yes, and more than a hint of what a great hat it probably was 75 years ago, but as a hat to wear ... your listing was too honest!

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
It's got some issues, but yowza! $16 for a well listed, 75 year old hat in wearable condition? That hardly covers all the time I spent cleaning, steaming and conditioning this one.

I thought about it but too much work to make it truly wearable. Not trashed enough to justify pulling the liner and sweat for my collection.

Sorry you didn't get more for it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
donnc said:
your listing was too honest!

After buyers threatening negative over 1/8" of a difference in crown height

("you said it was 5-3/4" and it was actually 5-7/8"- I'll be forced to leave negative if you don't refund my money and let me keep the hat"- that was a fun guy)

or asking for money back over a small moth bite underneath the ribbon that you wouldn't be able to see unless you had taken the ribbon off the hat, or cracking of sweatbands when the buyer flips it out to check for tags and then blames me for the damage they caused. Fun stuff.

And I've been ripped off by far too many sellers to want to do that to anyone.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
("you said it was 5-3/4" and it was actually 5-7/8"- I'll be forced to leave negative if you don't refund my money and let me keep the hat"- that was a fun guy)

Oh my! :eek:

Feraud

Bartender
Dinerman said:
After buyers threatening negative over 1/8" of a difference in crown height

or asking for money back over a small moth bite underneath the ribbon that you wouldn't be able to see unless you had taken the ribbon off the hat, or cracking of sweatbands when the buyer flips it out to check for tags and then blames me for the damage they caused. Fun stuff.

And I've been ripped off by far too many sellers to want to do that to anyone.
He wants a refund AND to keep the hat???
Is this guy smoking crack? Where did he pick up his business ethics? Unbelievable..

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I managed to work it all out in the end, refunded his money, got the hat back, re-sold it for more money than I had the first time 'round. What made it even more unbelievable is that he lived a 15 minute drive from my house and probably shops at the same grocery store.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Ever since ebay stopped letting sellers leave negative feedback for buyers we have been getting this kind of thing. Buyers with no ethics will pull all kinds of things because they think they can get away with it.

The "give me back my money and let me keep the item or I will leave negative feedback" ploy is way more common than you might think. Since it is also extortion I file a complaint with ebay and let the slimeball know I will also file a complaint with whatever law enforcement unit I feel like mentioning. Since I usually send items by Priority Mail I'll also throw in a threat of Mail Fraud charges.

It usually shuts them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe