Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Wild. What do you think about that ribbon - original to the hat or just something someone fashioned along the way?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lefty said:
Wild. What do you think about that ribbon - original to the hat or just something someone fashioned along the way?

Hard to tell from the photos. If it is original, it looks like it might have been flipped upside down at some point. Even if it's not original, the color and width looks like what it would have had originally.

The leather band looks likely that it's not original. One of my other stetsons has a similar leather band which is clearly period, of a similar style, but it's a natural color and the buckle shows its age. The leather band seems more like something pirated off of a modern campaign hat.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Gripe

I have a couple of OR clones, but haven't landed a genuine Stetson yet, so this auction for a Stetson Twenty-Five Open Road caught my eye.

I (along with many others) pointed out to the seller where to look for the size info. I received a nice reply and, learning that it was my size, I looked over the photos more carefully and asked a question - that's where it gets weird.

First, go to the auction and look closely at photo #8.

I asked a question about this photo, specifically:

"In photo #8 I see several small dark circular spots - can you elaborate on these? They look like moth nibbles but it's hard to tell from the photo. Tks."

This is the answer I received:

"Dear xxxxx,

No insults from you."

Well, needless to say I was taken aback. I responded:

"Dear originaltexan,

I saw a few spots on the photo of your item. I asked you about them - how's that insulting?? Kindly answer my question, what are those little spots?"

No reply. I didn't bid, and the hat sold for a relatively low price compared to what other specimens have brought recently. I was prepared to go higher than the final bid if the hat were in un-mothed condition, but I wasn't going to take a chance that "I did not see any moth bites" from the description meant that there weren't any. I've been down that road before. His demand to give him 5 stars on everything struck me as kind of nervy too. Finally, the "fine print" makes it sound like if you cause any "business disruptions" you'll get hauled into small claims court in Brazos County, TX.

If someone from the lounge won this OR, I hope those spots are merely light surface stains, lint, or the like.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent because this seller really gave me the creeps.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
He reminds me of the Soup Nazi. The Hat Nazi, if you will. "NO HAT FOR YOU!"

P.S. "I did not see any moth bites" = "I have eyesight equivalent to Mr. Magoo." (Or, "I'm just a damn liar.")

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
That guy sounds like a real jerk. If I were you, I'd have half a mind to try and win the item, and give him a four just to tick him off. I agree, real gutsy move for him to keep demanding fives. Some people these days. And he's asking us for money!

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
fluteplayer07 said:
That guy sounds like a real jerk. If I were you, I'd have half a mind to try and win the item, and give him a four just to tick him off. I agree, real gutsy move for him to keep demanding fives. Some people these days. And he's asking us for money!

I'd be afraid that four would send him into a hissy fit, cause a "business disruption", and land me in court in Brazos County.

He demands a five for communication because everybody else (ebay, perhaps Fedex/UPS, Paypal) sends you an email - not him, mind you - but because you get all these other emails he should get a five for communication...EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T ANSWER LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS!

I'm glad I don't have his nerve in my tooth....

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Inviting Insults??

Here is a quote from the seller's listing, where he itemizes the reasons you are obligated to give him a 5.

"Item as Described: I list in volume and I rely on pictures. I cannot write a 500 word paragraph. You and I don't have time to read an exhaustive list. If you have a question, ask before the auction ends. This should be a FIVE".

So, I guess the seller really didn't want people to ask questions.

I had this on my watch list, but let it pass due to the seller's attitude.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salty O'Rourke said:
If someone from the lounge won this OR, I hope those spots are merely light surface stains, lint, or the like.

Anyway, I just wanted to vent because this seller really gave me the creeps.

Me too, I did not bid on it either.

Wilke Melone (Bowler)

Won this rare (for me at least) Wilke Melone (Bowler). I have been looking for a pre WWII hat from this company for a long time. This one is in fine condition and might actually fit.

4530522953_33eba9c6b1_o.gif

4531154966_4782b0f3b1_o.gif

blixa00

One of the Regulars
Salty...there are plenty of cranks in the world and if you do enough business on Ebay (or anywhere) you are bound to run into some!! I saw that auction but decided not to even watch it because the hat did appear to have damage and the seller's description clearly displayed all the diagnostics of your typical cranky seller!! It is my personal policy that if the listing seems suspect or the seller seems prickly for whatever reason I PASS...there are plenty of other hats in the bay!!! You are right to be ticked but the seller really lost out as at least three buyers with $$$ (that we know of) took a pass because of the jerk selling the item!! The seller's loss I'd say...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Looks like seller Ephraim Tutt caught the Whippet Wave!

Wow. A 7 3/8 Whippet went for $676, sold by our very own ET.

Congratulations!!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Once again we're talking sellers with what I'd call abnormally high feedback numbers. The winner has 19,742 whild there was another with 30,521, another with 31,874, and yet another with 35,165! (Second place was someone with *0* feedbacks!)

Again, congratulations for winning big (and possibly setting a record) in the Whippet madness!

Cheers,
Tom

PS It IS a very nice hat! :D

PPS On the other hand, my latest win is a black Dobbs for $18.50.

ebay_239.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe