Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Congrats!
Yeah, I thought that would have gone way higher, as well. I've taken the liberty of posting photos of the liner over in the stetson quality thread.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Congrats!
Yeah, I thought that would have gone way higher, as well. I've taken the liberty of posting photos of the liner over in the stetson quality thread.

I'll post more photos later. I received a Derby made of Nutria today. I'll have to include that and a few other items.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Congrats on that 5x. I too thought it would go higher.
A few other nice items ended recently.
Cavanagh boater. If I ever did want a boater, this is what I would have wanted.

Another really nice, large Borso at a really reasonable price.

You hardly ever see a conformer come up. Then, suddenly, there are three of them.
4cb7_1.JPG

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty, That Cavanagh Boater is terrific. Wish I'd seen the auction.

boaterhat.jpg

If you ever seen another good one that you aren't bidding on, please let me know. Carter

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know much of anything about boaters, but that's what I consider to be the best one I've seen. If I ever see another like it, I'll shoot you a pm.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I continually cruise ebaY for my lids and boy, the discipline I have to exude so I don't buy up a 100 in a day is ENORMOUS! I like buying "lots" so I get the best bang for my buck, then keep the best ones(if any) and sell off the rest to make my money back and then some. A lot of times I take a leap of faith and I've yet to be disappointed. Recently I bought a 4 hat lot, kept 2, sold 1 and trashed the last 'cause it was far too mucked up and cost too much to get it back to it's glory days, besides, it was a stingy anyways. To be quite frank when I saw the listing they looked like doo-doo, but my fedora intuition told me to buy 'em, so I did. They were $7.50 a piece totalling in shipping as well.

Note: Sorry about the humongous post, I just wanted to show that just because the listing pic looks like crap most of the time, it usually never does the hat justice because the people selling the hats don't see or know how to get it to it's full potential as we do.

Adam "Premier" - ebaY listing
adampremier.jpg

Then I 86'd the feather steamed it up and hand reblocked it, same as the rest. It'll be off to "Mike the Hatter" in Cleveland next week.
n760128911_817914_9648.jpg

Bond "Executive" - ebaY listing
Bondexecutive.jpg

My handy work
n760128911_817911_8931.jpg

The above two I kept for myself. But this "Roger Barry" hat I sold. Like I said, they were $7.50 a piece, but I ended up selling this gem for $46 and change, thus getting back what I paid for the lot and a nice lunch at McDonald's with my youngest boy, lol.

Their ebaY listing
rogerbarry.jpg

My ebaY listing
c9a8_12.JPG

and me having a hard time deciding if I wanted to keep it.
HPIM2279.jpg

And then of course, this one went straight to the trash. It really was quite a mess.
doo-doo.jpg

So the moral of the story is, just because a lid might look like junk it doesn't mean it is(except for the last one there, Yech!). It's usually presented in an ill manner, but that ain't always bad, because it leaves the door open for your winning bid(I snipe!). I paid $28 total, got 2 hats for me, sold one for $46. ACES!!!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
mannySpaghetti said:
. . . . Recently I bought a 4 hat lot, kept 2, sold 1 and trashed the last . . . .
I watched that lot for a while and thought about buying it. The ones that you cleaned up (or had cleaned up) look really sharp! :eusa_clap

MattJH

One Too Many
GWD: That's a NOS Stetson bowler, isn't it? It appears untouched. My mother used to be a floor manager at that John Wanamakers in Philadelphia. It has since been converted to a Macy's and is known for being the home of the world's largest pipe organ. I go there every Christmas to hear them play it. A true old-fashioned store. It's the singular setting of the 80's movie "Mannequin."

GWD

One Too Many
Dumbjaw said:
GWD: That's a NOS Stetson bowler, isn't it? It appears untouched. My mother used to be a floor manager at that John Wanamakers in Philadelphia. It has since been converted to a Macy's and is known for being the home of the world's largest pipe organ. I go there every Christmas to hear them play it. A true old-fashioned store. It's the singular setting of the 80's movie "Mannequin."

It certainly appears to be untouched! It also appears to be from the 1930's. It was just too nice to pass by. It's a little piece of history.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice one. :eusa_clap

I don't remember the name of the cityvintage guy, but he's either a past member or a friend of a member. He's got a reputation for selling great stuff in great condition. Of course, there's no bargain hunting with him. He knows his stuff and what it's worth.

GWD

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Nice one. :eusa_clap

I don't remember the name of the cityvintage guy, but he's either a past member or a friend of a member. He's got a reputation for selling great stuff in great condition. Of course, there's no bargain hunting with him. He knows his stuff and what it's worth.

You're right, a few months ago he was selling a very nice suit in my size, needless to say, I didn't get it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Borsalino

cookie said:
Anyone want to comment on price ...quality... was it worth it etc?

I hope the seller was wrong about the circumference. She listed 20" (which is way small) as well as size 7 1/2. Looks like it could clean up nice. No actual quality info so the jury is out 'til you have the hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't read it, but there was a visible size tag on the hat. She may have based her listing on that tag and just measured poorly.

carter said:
I hope the seller was wrong about the circumference. She listed 20" (which is way small) as well as size 7 1/2. Looks like it could clean up nice. No actual quality info so the jury is out 'til you have the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe