Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tango Yankee said:
Geez...

A real 7 1/4 dark brown Whippet in decent shape goes for $102. [huh] I didn't bother setting a snipe because I thought it would go for much more, as they have been. :eusa_doh:

I thought that looked like a pretty descent Whippet, but I almost never wear the dark brown hats I have.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Whippet

Tango Yankee said:
Geez...

A real 7 1/4 dark brown Whippet in decent shape goes for $102. [huh] I didn't bother setting a snipe because I thought it would go for much more, as they have been. :eusa_doh:

There's really no predicting what's going to happen on ebay, no matter how long you're at it!

Cheers,
Tom

In an auction like this, I put forward a reasonable bid, and see how it works out... This time, I was successful;) ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Bantam Man said:
In an auction like this, I put forward a reasonable bid, and see how it works out... This time, I was successful;) ;)

Congratulations on picking up one of those for a reasonable price.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Bantam Man said:

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!! Congratulations!

Cheers,
Tom

buler

I'll Lock Up
Knapp-Felt ad

Only bidder on this. Can't wait to frame and hang. Now I just need the matching hat.....
KnappfeltAd

B

knappfelt_gamebird.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Buler...!!! :D

Well...a nice large hi-res scan should be in order then, don't you think? For the benefit of all the Loungers? Think of Brad! :D ;)

Nice score! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'll do what I can. My scanner has a pretty small bed. Hope this one fits!

B

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Buler...!!! :D

Well...a nice large hi-res scan should be in order then, don't you think? For the benefit of all the Loungers? Think of Brad! :D ;)

Nice score! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I already had it, so I thought I'd give another Lounger a chance.lol

Nice win, buler!

Brad

barrowjh

One Too Many
Guilty

gtdean48 - I landed the 7 3/4 OR clone. I decided on the price point a few days earlier - at what point would I rather buy new than buy vintage, if the two were sitting side by side in a store (and doing some guesstimation on the price of a comparable new hat). The hat looks 60s-70s (maybe more recent?) so I have likely overpaid. The sweatband is modern width, plastic tip, if the felt is modern cardboard I will be sorely disappointed. I have been sucked in by great photography before, and that is the sales pitch that worked here, that felt LOOKS soft, plush.

I have a step-grandson that is a 7 3/4, and am trying to put a nice hat on him. I also took this Resistol stagecoach : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290400398845&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
A less desireable target, but available at a more appropriate price point.

I figured the competition for these would be much hotter than it was, maybe the big heads stayed away because neither of these sport the soft wide sweatbands that more clearly signal vintage buttery-soft felt. Anyway, I had been stalking that size for a while and observed they are VERY few and far between.

I do have serious buyers remorse agitation, why didn't I just go ahead and buy the kid one of these thin-ribbons from Helmer: http://www.johnhelmer.com/prod.itml/icOid/35
A nice Beaver Brand hat, available in 7 3/4, and for only $125? To my knowledge, nobody here has commented on one of those 'River Runner' hats yet. I may yet regret having set such a high snipe for that San Antonio.

XPLSV

One of the Regulars

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
I'm in mourning right now.

I was desperate to get that one, and calculated as much as I can spare from my upcoming paycheck, but alas, it wasn't enough. I hope it went to a good home.

Brad

I was pulling for you Brad...it went higher than I would have bid.

Bernie

barrowjh

One Too Many
XPLSV

The seller of the San Antonio emailed me, lamenting the hat was too big for him or he would never have sold it. He referred to it as 'minty' and a 'beauty' so maybe it will turn out to be a really good hat.

I am surprised that you could have landed a similar one, though maybe an upgraded version (more surprising still!), in a more popular size for so little money. OFAS is so wierd, sometimes the competition shows up, sometimes not.

I had that hat won for $102 with 3 seconds to go, then another bidder's snipe came in and popped me up to $150, so I am not the only sucker willing to bet stupid on it!

JB,
Your $102 took me out of the race. I was only in it because of the seller stating it was 24" & more of a 7 5/8 instead of a 7 3/4. This is the first larger sized San Antonio I've seen in a good while. Smaller sizes seldom go for over $50. I got a 7 3/8 for my brother for $45 including shipping.
I agree, compared to a new custom even $150 is a bargain. If the size works, I don't think you'll be disapointed. I'd love to get an open crown Beaver Brand in the River Runner for $125, better deal than the Stetson Roadmaster I got.
barrowjh said:
The seller of the San Antonio emailed me, lamenting the hat was too big for him or he would never have sold it. He referred to it as 'minty' and a 'beauty' so maybe it will turn out to be a really good hat.

I am surprised that you could have landed a similar one, though maybe an upgraded version (more surprising still!), in a more popular size for so little money. OFAS is so wierd, sometimes the competition shows up, sometimes not.

I had that hat won for $102 with 3 seconds to go, then another bidder's snipe came in and popped me up to $150, so I am not the only sucker willing to bet stupid on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken