Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Sorry. I've been trying to clear out extra hats all week, selling on ebay, then this comes along...I just can't resist a nice bottom :)

!BhsLZ3gBmk~$(KGrHqEOKj8Er)dq4lPyBLKU,iVg6Q~~_3.JPG

Fantastic hat man! Congrats, its worth every penny. The liner alone is worth the price.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
rlk said:
It has the edge curl and flanging typical of a Homburg(Lord's Hat) ...

And vice-versa. Take a soft, thick and pliable fedora with a narrowish brim, turn it up at the sides, and voila: you've got yourself a passable "homburg".

A 'chicken-or-egg' question? Perhaps.

rlk said:
The terminology had little to do with its value given all the discussion of and enthusiasm for velours and long-hairs around here lately.

You overestimate the market influence of Fedora Lounge discussions, I think. We've been talking on and off about velours and longhairs for 5 years now; I've sold a number of them on eBay during those discussion periods, and --with one exception-- they've never gone for particularly high prices, and certainly not higher than the prices fetched for smooth felt fedoras.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I know at leat 5 Loungers bid on this one.
4134874648_87d77a53f8_o.jpg
4134874268_63420cd0f9_o.jpg
4134112891_93ff5ef59a_o.jpg

Marc Chevalier said:
And vice-versa. Take a soft but thick fedora with a narrowish brim, turn it up at the sides, and voila: you've got yourself a passable "homburg".

You overestimate the power of Fedora Lounge discussions, I think. We've been talking on and off about velours and longhairs for 5 years now; I've sold a number of them on eBay during those discussion periods, and --with one exception-- they've never gone for a particularly high price. Furthermore, none of them --with one exception-- were bought by Fedora Loungers.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Velour or not, educated buyer or not it is a wonderful hat and will be worn and taken care of.

I wish it were mine.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Well, there's your answer. One reason it didn't go for cheap is because some savvy bidders realized that it isn't a homburg. Nope, it's a fedora with an "overwelt" brim edge. This style was quite popular in the late 1920s. I have one myself:

Thanks all. My snipe was much higher - I really love the look of this hat, so it was my Christmas present to myself. I was just relieved that jtl wasn't interested in it :)

I think Dinerman's pics in the 'pre-1940 dress hats' thread should have given away how this style hat should/could be worn (check out the pics of him in the black hat like this). I have two others of this style that I was trying to force into a snap, but feel they work better as shown in the bottom Knapp-Felt pic that rlk posted (curled up like a Homburg on the sides, but pushed down just a touch in front). (Dreispitz - thanks for the research).

Here are a couple of pics from this wonderful thread:

pre-1940 Dress Hats

20sMe1.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
Velour or not, educated buyer or not it is a wonderful hat and will be worn and taken care of.

I wish it were mine.

Thanks Douglas. You are correct - the only hats I don't wear are my wilder-looking westerns, and that's only because I need to break in the members of my neighborhood slowly.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
ScottF said:
This is a real beauty. I asked the seller a question about it, he answered, I went to put in an offer...it was sold :(

Black 1930's fedora on ebay

lol Or is it ... a homburg? Judging by the overwelt and the somewhat forced-looking snap it's been given by the seller, this could be the same kind of homburg as the grey velour one ...

And yes, after looking closely at those Crofut & Knapp images that RLK kindly posted, I now see that he's absolutely right: the grey velour was made to be a homburg. RLK, please accept my apologies. :eek:

Levallois

Practically Family

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
lol Or is it ... a homburg? Judging by the overwelt and the somewhat forced-looking snap it's been given by the seller, this could be the same kind of homburg as the grey velour one ...

And yes, after looking closely at those Crofut & Knapp images that RLK kindly posted, I now see that he's absolutely right: the grey velour was made to be a homburg. RLK, please accept my apologies. :eek:

I wouldn't agree that the Crofut & Knapp was made to be a Homburg, only that it can be worn similar to the pics I posted of me and Dinerman. I bet it snaps down just fine...wish I had one to test!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Levallois said:
In keeping with my obsession about different colored hats, I won this one. It's a Cavanagh. Based on my rudimentary knowledge it looks older but I don't know how old. Are there any guesses from the Cav collectors?

Mid-'40s, based on the paper tag and the liner. Too bad it's had the sweatband and ribbon replaced. If it originally came with that raw edge, then it's a rare Cavanagh. Nice Cavanagh felt.

Brad

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Levallois said:
In keeping with my obsession about different colored hats, I won this one. It's a Cavanagh. Based on my rudimentary knowledge it looks older but I don't know how old. Are there any guesses from the Cav collectors?

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=120086&ppid=1122&image=330081898&images=330081898,330081906,330081915,330081926,330081943,330081949,330081961,330081975,330081987,330082001&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

If it's that old and in a burgundy color, then you've a rare one! Forgotten Man might be the only other Lounger to have a pre-'70s fedora in burgundy. His is from the '30s or early '40s ...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
ScottF said:
I wouldn't agree that the Crofut & Knapp was made to be a Homburg, only that it can be worn similar to the pics I posted of me and Dinerman. I bet it snaps down just fine...wish I had one to test!

Could be, huh? Case in point: the hat in the '20s poster below. Sort of a cross between a fedora and a homburg. So ... is it a fomburg? Or maybe a homdora? lol

]
4134874268_63420cd0f9_o.jpg
[

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth