Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Roadmaster

New in Town
Thanks!

tortswon said:
Welcome aboard Roadmaster. I don't think we've been hiding. Where in north central Pennsylvania are you? We have quarterly hat crawls here in Philly and you're welcome to join us. Best, Sam

Thanks for the welcome. I am in Cameron County...a fer piece from Philly, but thanks for the invite.

ALso Thanks to others for the advice on binging... I already decided to pass up a couple of hats until I get the one I already won to make sure I got the size right...it should be here tomorrow! Can't wait.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mario said:
Whew! My hands are still shaking...my sniper wouldn't let me add a new snipe (some trouble with the server, I gues), so I had to do this by hand...and it paid!

I just won this light grey Borsalino:

Crown is 5 1/2" tall, the brim 2 7/8" wide. Snatched for $23.28. :D

That looks like a rather fine one with Cavanagh edge. I am not sure, if Borsalino sold felted edge hats in Europe, at all. I have not seen one here, so far.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dreispitz

One Too Many
YETI said:

There were some fine hats that did not really raise bidder´s attention, recently. No suprise. Who on earth should buy felt hats in summer :eusa_doh:

Due to global warming the prospects for cold winters are not so positive til 2090. Straws, therefore, are the better long term investment. Meanwhile, I personally do not mind a good felt, though :D

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
What is the hat size of this superb Borsalino?

As Garret pointed out, it's rather small at 6 3/4, but I think the measurements given to me on request shift it a little up towards 6 7/8. This will be a high rider anyway. Knowing that it is a small one, I also knew that the price probably wouldn't go too high, so I had set my max to $41.79 or so. When I finally opened my eyes again and found out that I won the hat for a mere $23.38, I was still slightly baffled... :D

!B(PBHUQB2k~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLluvvMBKbPuZzQbg~~_12.JPG
!BW4iR1!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjIEjlLmWpluBKZg8rtJ1Q~~_12.JPG

babs

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
That's a reasonable price for such a wonderful hat. Good for the seller! It's hopeful to see that some of eBay's vintage vendors aren't being killed by the economy. :eusa_clap

$300+ .. Really!?!? I was watching that one also and I figured maybe 150ish or maybe $200ish if the hat was flawless, but it did have one blem.. Wow I guess it's just me but I don't see $300 there. Then again, I am an admitted newb. I did think the ribbon-work on it was really top-notch, and the color was phenomenal. I guess in comparison of the kind of custom high-end hat you'd have to buy to get as close to it as you could, $300 doesn't sound like such a massive amount comparatively.

babs said:
$300+ .. Really!?!? I was watching that one also and I figured maybe 150ish or maybe $200ish if the hat was flawless, but it did have one blem.. Wow I guess it's just me but I don't see $300 there. Then again, I am an admitted newb. I did think the ribbon-work on it was really top-notch, and the color was phenomenal. I guess in comparison of the kind of custom high-end hat you'd have to buy to get as close to it as you could, $300 doesn't sound like such a massive amount comparatively.
You have to consider the size in addition to the uniqueness of the vintage lid along with the condition. A near mint vintage in 7 3/8 & up is going to draw higher $$$ because those sizes are not that common. I can imagine what this would've demanded had it been 7 5/8. You are correct, you'd pay over $300 for a new custom that may or may not come close to the quality of this vintage one but they can never come close to the background this hat has. IMHO

babs

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
You have to consider the size in addition to the uniqueness of the vintage lid along with the condition. A near mint vintage in 7 3/8 & up is going to draw higher $$$ because those sizes are not that common. I can imagine what this would've demanded had it been 7 5/8. You are correct, you'd pay over $300 for a new custom that may or may not come close to the quality of this vintage one but they can never come close to the background this hat has. IMHO

Indeed.. I'm anxious to see what a particular stetson I'm watching will go for. I didn't even think.. I just said boom!!! I'll bid a c-note.. I knew I didn't stand a chance and I was right.. Instant outbid. What a hat!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The live auction post is against the rules, so you might want to edit your post to remove it. (You didn't know, it's no big deal.)

That hat will go over over $300 - probably a little closer to 4.

babs said:
Indeed.. I'm anxious to see what a particular stetson I'm watching will go for. I didn't even think.. I just said boom!!! I'll bid a c-note.. I knew I didn't stand a chance and I was right.. Instant outbid. What a hat!
You'll be hard pressed to get a Twenty-Five or 3X for under $200, $150 respectively, let alone a One-Hundred. I watch those just to see how high they go. Again, if it was a 7 5/8, I'd wager $500 wouldn't be surprising sell price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe