Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Lefty said:
Knox premier quality with ugly buckle, 7 1/2, only $15.51 - no inside photos
!BTP!f7QBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjEEjlLm(s8hBKH(udK3C!~~_1.JPG
I was thinking of making a play on that one, but the LAST thing I need is another brown hat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
This Lee Adventure arrived yesterday - interesting sparse ribbon, very thin sweatband. It required a heavy brushing and steaming to re-shape, but when done, I was very pleased - nice, lightweight hat, perfect for summer walks by Puget Sound. ...it makes the rotation.

LeeAdvFront.jpg

Nice one, Scott. I'm liking that No. 1 Quality, as well.

Cheers,
JtL

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
1913 Dunlap Top Hat

This hat is about to depart my stable, but its story really developed this past week as I made the decision to part with it.

I had been wanting a vintage top hat for some time and my wife (bless her heart) decided to surprise me with one for Christmas. I had previously asked her to keep an eye out for something in my size (7 3/8) as most of the vintage beaver hats are quite a bit smaller.

She found one on ebay, along with a leather case, and she gave it to me last Christmas. It was in beautiful shape...the only problem was it didn't quite fit my long oval head properly and there just isn't any give in that hard shell. I stuff a bunch of stuff into the sides of the sweatband, but it was still loose on the sides and pinched my head from front to back. It wanted to do the pivot thing from side to side.
dunlaptop1.jpg

dunlaptop19.jpg

Last month, I scored a 7 3/8 Long Oval Knox Beaver Top Hat off ebay and it fits well. After talking it over with my wife, we decided to sell the Dunlap. I thought I had looked it over good when I first got it, looking at the case, the hat liner, under the sweatband, etc. It had the gold initials on the liner (one was missing but the letter was still apparent) of WAL. It had the hat shop name of E.G. Barnaby & Co, Minneapolis. The case had the initials on the buckle of Wm A L and also MNPLS.
dunlaptop10.jpg

dunlaptop17.jpg

I had noticed these things when the hat first came in my care. At this point, I was contemplating keeping the leather case for my new Long Oval top hat and just selling the hat...but as I looked at the link between the hat and the case...it became apparent to me that they belonged together and I hated to break up the set. However, upon rechecking under the sweatband, I found something that I had previously missed!
dunlaptop15.jpg

Written right there, plain as day, was a date placing the hat at 1913. I couldn't believe I had missed this piece of info back in December. At this point, I now had a last name, in addition to the date, so off I went to Google and with a few clicks, I was able to pull up information on William A. Lancaster of Minneapolis, an attorney, judge, and bank director, who lived up until the mid-1920's. I found information placing him in his bank director position in 1912, http://www.dorsey.com/about/history/ , and how the bank asked him to start up a law firm to represent the bank and how that today, the firm is worldwide and known as Dorsey and Whitney, LLP. I also came across a photo of the judge, himself:
lancaster.jpg

While the hat itself is an excellent specimen, it was really neat to uncover as much info behind its history as I did. I'll post a link to the auction in the classified section, for those interested in seeing more pics or possibly bidding on it. I don't know that I'll come across such an interesting history on another hat in the future...but here's hoping to uncovering another interesting story!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Nice one, Scott. I'm liking that No. 1 Quality, as well.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks JtL, Looks like it's been a good hat week for you as well - nice Playboy!

EXPLSV said:
It was really neat to uncover as much info behind its history as I did. I'll post a link to the auction in the classified section, for those interested in seeing more pics or possibly bidding on it. I don't know that I'll come across such an interesting history on another hat in the future...but here's hoping to uncovering another interesting story!

XPLSV - that's a great top hat story. I would keep it. At worst, it makes you a vintage hat collector, and this the centerpiece of your home hat museum.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Three Recent Wins

I think I found the secret to winning auctions: Put in a bid you don't think will win (or secretly hope won't win) and then forget about it. I did just that three time recently, and won each time.

First was the very large Borso, which I think was already mentioned in this thread. It arrived today, and I'm going to start a new thread about it soon. It's nice enough, and I have high hopes for it becoming a great restoration project.

Next was this allegedly custom hat by Joe the Hatter of Harrisburg. Don't know anything about it... date, quality, or even size. But, I got it for ten bucks. We'll see.
fedorabrn.JPG

Finally, this interesting Stetson bowler. I don't know if this will fit, or even if I want a bowler. It just looked too interesting not to throw a bid down on and, in this case, the bid I threw stuck. Can't wait to see this one. I wonder about the vintage. Any expert opinions?
!BT9hh5w!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlvv6nBKLHM2eG1g~~_12.JPG

!BT9hjvgBmk~$(KGrHgoH-C4EjlLlyhrPBKLHM-Vj0g~~_12.JPG

%21BT9hlr%21%212k%7E$%28KGrHgoH-C8EjlLlh%21lGBKLHNGhW4w%7E%7E_12.JPG

Anj

Chinaski

One Too Many
ScottF, I was watching that Borsalino auction (and it exceeded my highest price) and I wasn't able to read that on the sweat - now that you said "Super Borsalino" I can see you are correct. I'd be interested in any further info as well. It looks like a really nice hat.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

Okay this hat was named on the item as a S Casiraghi of Milan.

Anyone want to bet this hat was owned by the late Stefano Casiraghi - deceased husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco?

First clue = he was from Milan.

Or is that the hat shop?

Next clue = there is not a shop of that name listed on Google.

Final clue = Stefano Casiraghi was a multi-millionaire = Super Borsalino

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe