Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
StetFift01.jpg

stetson15Ins.jpg

Wow, Stetson never fails to confuse me. So, first we have the revival of the Selv-Edge as a glued overwelt, and now we have a Mode Edge that's a traditional sewn overwelt?

Does this mean Stetson abandoned the Cavanagh Edge earlier than thought?

Or is this a hat that the owner had modified, reducing a wider brim, and being forced to resort to an overwelt to retain the old Mode Edge look?

I am baffled.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Wow, Stetson never fails to confuse me. So, first we have the revival of the Selv-Edge as a glued overwelt, and now we have a Mode Edge that's a traditional sewn overwelt?

Does this mean Stetson abandoned the Cavanagh Edge earlier than thought?

Or is this a hat that the owner had modified, reducing a wider brim, and being forced to resort to an overwelt to retain the old Mode Edge look?

I am baffled.

Brad

If the brim was re-done, it was a very professional job. But given the quality of the hat, if I were the owner and the brim was damaged, I probably would have reduced it to save the hat.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
Maybe I need to put on my specs, but it looks to me as if the stitching on the left side of the brim has come loose.

That's just shadows - the stitching is nice and tight. If not factory, it was a very professional job.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Mario said:
Do you mean to imply that this lid was actually produced by a Klingonian hattery for the 'overseas' (read: interstellar) market? I'm just wondering how much the VAT was on this item, let alone shipping & handling... :eek:

:D

Hm, quite. In fact, I suspect one of them was imported by "visitors" (maybe Clingons) to a place in inner Sibiria. This has got some substance, since there are Bavarian hats, I came across, made of Syberian hare fur. I remember the Tribbles prolifered quickly by pathenogenesis. You have one, you have them all. This particular fur felt has become rare, these days. Either the raw material is now used for wigs (unlikely, however) or fake angora winter underware, or one has just tried to dump the lot, yesterday, in an atempt to scare the world in one of the last communist theme parks :D

Brad Bowers said:
Nowhere near my size, and perhaps a bit newer than I prefer, but this Dobbs 25 with Guild Edge was too interesting to pass up for the price. It may date to the mid- to late-'40s, but it also may be a decade or two newer. I'll know more once I receive it.

!BSs8Fiw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmWWZMBKEgTqv5Qw~~_1.JPG
!BSs8GSwCGk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBKEgTtvwZg~~_1.JPG

This is one of those hats I'll probably document for my research, and sell off at a later date.

Brad

This is very cool. Please post more info once you receive it.

unitone

New in Town

Ande1964

Practically Family
Yeah!

Ha... tell me about it. I know I was hoping for more. Thought I listed it pretty well, too. Maybe the age killed it, but it's a good hat.

Oh well... off it goes.

Anj

billyspew said:
I couldn't believe how cheaply this went for - considering the melon heads are always complaining of the scarcity and prices these normally go for!

TTFN,

Bill

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Ande1964 said:
Ha... tell me about it. I know I was hoping for more. Thought I listed it pretty well, too. Maybe the age killed it, but it's a good hat.

Oh well... off it goes.

Anj

Hell Anj you would have got more cash here with a little steam etc...

MattJH

One Too Many
Mario said:
Nice hat, but what's up with the sweatband here? I have never seen this before.

On the lower left:

!BSvhBMg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DQEjlLl),B+BKEvJwfD3!~~_1.JPG

My MacLachlan has a similar feature. Something to do with ventilation:

maclachlan-sweat.jpg

Ande1964

Practically Family
I don't think it needs any steam, but you're right... I probably could have done as well or better here. It's always a coin toss for me, as I've had items disappear in the classifieds. I just go on instinct as far as where to find the best market for each sale. It's the same with setting a beginning price and reserve on ebay. You're balancing getting a lot of bids flying with getting a price you're happy with.

Missed the boat on this one, obviously.

Anj

cookie said:
Hell Anj you would have got more cash here with a little steam etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe