Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Walt

One of the Regulars
Walt, that $15 Stetson was at a time when the price of gold was probably about $34 an ounce, so a good hat (a really good hat) was worth about 44% of an ounce of gold. Today that would put us at about $700, and that is about right - a really good hat today from anyone other than our 'friends' here on TFL will cost north of $500. It is impressive that with the passing of 50+ years the hat still fetches almost half of its original value. A function of the original quality, subsequent care, and most important - style that outlives any fad.

I'm not sure I would agree that using the price of gold to calculate the inflation value of money is the best way since back then gold was likely artificially low and is now probably over-valued but that is a topic for an economics or financial investing forum.... :D

I would agree that as a secure or high return investment buying new hats--especially at retail prices--is not likely to be a good investment strategy, but for most of us collecting hats is more fun than collecting gold and certainly speculating about what "new" hats might be worth in the future is entertaining. That was the spirit of my original comment. ;)

Cheers!

P.S. Certainly the idea that a $15 hat would go for $300 or whatever would likely have been amazing to that retailer of 60 years ago!

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
This is not a vintage hat but a reproduction and a damn good one at that. The seller/milliner is listing it as a 1930s reproduction but it's more like an early 1920s hat that was popular before the cloche. I don't really care for that early 20s style but I do like this one because it's 100% silk and it looks even better than most originals. However the seller wants $170 PLUS 25 for shipping and I think that is too high. If it was at least 50 bucks cheaper I would buy but I'm going to keep an eye on it and hope that she drops the price. What do you guys think?

Not familiar with womens hat prices CS but seems very reasonable to me compared to custom made mens hats. The fact that it's new also should be considered, no risk of possible vintage problems. Don't know the site your looking at but if it's the bay or Etsy maybe you can make an offer?

I recently won this old brown Melone on German eBay. Poor auction photos but I think this will turn out to be a nice one.

8386929259_5a2d620539_o.jpg

8388015218_e49166fa97_o.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
This is the only Disney Wanderer-ish hat I have seen floating on the bay.
2 1/2" brim, 5 1/2" open crown....under $200....needs some shaping...will post photos when I have it wearable...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221175304609?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Tom,

That's a great looking hat. I was watching that one too but was afraid it was way too big for me. If it turns out to be too small for you keep me in mind. I doubt it will be though because the Seller said he wears a 7 7/8 but could wear it. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it after you clean it up. Congratulations.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tom,

That's a great looking hat. I was watching that one too but was afraid it was way too big for me. If it turns out to be too small for you keep me in mind. I doubt it will be though because the Seller said he wears a 7 7/8 but could wear it. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it after you clean it up. Congratulations.

I was gonna buy that as most 7 5/8s fit me but when he said it fit his 7 7/8 melon I felt it must be a serious 61/7 5/8

It fits my noggin just fine, not a tight fit & not too loose. Has stickers on sweat & behind the liner with 7 5/8. Seems to fit my Long Oval shape. Color is close to my VS ArtLite Granite. Thanks.

Last edited:
Manfred, Thanks! I am not sure if it will fit but I thought it was worth taking a chance on since brown Melone are not common and it looks to be in very good condition. Jeff, Thanks too!

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Thanks to all

Jus a quick thanks to Fashion Frank, Perry, Manfred, and Jared for their sage advice. Bought an Open Road and with a tea pot turned her into a great hat. No offense to those that prefer the western look.

Adrian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82