Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dying suede jacket

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
I tried doing a search without much luck.
I have a Levis suede trucker jacket that is a yellowish color.
I’m wondering if there is someplace that I could have it dyed a brown instead?
I have checked with a couple dry cleaners in my area to ask if they know of any businesses that would do it, but no luck.
Anyone know of a business in the U.S. that I could send it to and have it dyed?

As an alternative - has anyone done this themselves and have any advice as to what to use and how?
TIA

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You can try doing it at home with fielding suede dye but it‘ll get messy and I don’t know how to lock it in on suedes. The one time I tried on suede shoes going from grey to black it kept on bleeding dye I ended up giving the shoe away. There’s either a process before or after the dye is applied that I don’t know about and didn’t do.

Or send to Arrow, I’ve never used them because I’m in Vancouver, but I’ve seen a restored B3 here before and the job looked good.

IMG_1812.jpeg

JohnS33931

One of the Regulars
You can try doing it at home with fielding suede dye but it‘ll get messy and I don’t know how to lock it in on suedes. The one time I tried on suede shoes going from grey to black it kept on bleeding dye I ended up giving the shoe away. There’s either a process before or after the dye is applied that I don’t know about and didn’t do.

Or send to Arrow, I’ve never used them because I’m in Vancouver, but I’ve seen a restored B3 here before and the job looked good.

View attachment 639976
Thanks - I’ll look up Arrow!

floater

New in Town

I’ve done it, twice now, I thoroughly rinse the jacket after dying it, let it dry off completely then spray a coat of mink oil, brush it in and do another light coat (no brushing after 2nd coat), or I assume you could even set it with something like scotch-guard spray but I haven’t tried that yet

If done properly that should set the dye and completely stop the bleeding at best, or highly minimize it at worse, ymmv

And to the OP, just be aware that you can’t dye stitching, so the leather/suede will change color but the stitching will remain the same color it was originally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton