Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dog Fighting? Good God Almighty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooster

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Spur pictures pending?

Been busy making a living....I'll get at that today. I had no idea anyone would really find rooster spurs all that interesting.lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Yes, that's why one doesn't buy the cheap stuff.

Cheap meat = badly treated animal = antibiotics, growth hormones, feed-lot cow/sheep/pig/etc. never seen a blade of grass in its life.

bk

Also, dairy factory farms.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wrestle a chimp ...

MudInYerEye said:
You people need to lighten up and go three rounds with a kangaroo or wrestle a chimp or something. Tarzan lives.
Ungawa.

I hadn't thought about this in years, but I recall a long time ago there was a traveling side show that came around with our annual county fair that had offered a prize for anyone who could win a match with a chimp (or some such large ape-like animinal). It was hilarious to watch all the local moron rednecks (mostly drunk) get beat by a monkey. :eusa_clap

All was fun and games with the side show until one of the local deputy sheriffs who had the reputation as a real tough man got into the cage with the monkey. While all the other drunks would get beat half to death trying to fight the monkey, this deputy just waded into the fray and grabbed the monkey in a "bear hug". The side show owner had to call off the deputy before he killed the monkey. :eusa_doh:

Looking back, it sure is funny what used to pass for "entertainment" around here. Times sure have changed in the last 40 or so years ...

Big Man

Rooster said:
Oh, I don't know. I'd probably get a kick out of watching drunks wrastle monkeys.lol

I never said watching drunks wrestle monkeys was BAD - just that times have changed, and we don't get to see such exhibits any more. [huh]

Those sure ware the good ol' days ...

PrettySquareGal said:
Also, dairy factory farms.

Yes, I don't eat much dairy products either. Organic dairy is unbelievably expensive. We're mostly on the rice milk these days.

Though i must say we're quite lucky in the UK. The vast majority of British grown cows have access to fields and don't get pumped full of every drug under the sun . . . 'Course, that means that most people eat Argentinian beef. Cheap, drug filled and tasteless.

bk

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Yes, I don't eat much dairy products either. Organic dairy is unbelievably expensive. We're mostly on the rice milk these days.

Though i must say we're quite lucky in the UK. The vast majority of British grown cows have access to fields and don't get pumped full of every drug under the sun . . . 'Course, that means that most people eat Argentinian beef. Cheap, drug filled and tasteless.

bk

I heard from biologists (or some'n) that going organic makes much more sense with milk than with fruits and vegetables, and that if I have money for one of those only, I was to buy organic milk and non-organic other stuff. (I don't eat meat, so I couldn't say where that fits in on the list of priorities.)

That's probably reasonable. When you're talking soft fruits like raspberries, blueberries etc. they grow like weeds and don't need any added extras. This is especially true with the tree-growing fruits. I worry about the pesticides, though, so washing is always necessary.

I'd be very careful about the provenance of stuff that's grown in the ground, though. Lots of nasty stuff in the soil, sometimes. If you have a good market that attracts small market gardeners, they usually don't use much garbage in the soil.

bk

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:

bk

Organic dairy doesn't mean it wasn't from a farm factory, sadly:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/nosb2.htm

I also drink rice milk.

aye, the US organic classification system needs to be tightened up a bit. They seem to have forgotten that the movement had a profound animal rights dimension; it's not just about what the animals eat . . . whenever we bought organic over there, there were many hours of internet research about the companies and where they were sourcing their goods, and the ethics of those sources.

It's incredibly strict in Britain. Very very difficult to get classified as organic here. Which makes it soewhat easier as a consumer.

bk

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
With regards to gamecocks, some regions allow razor blades to be strapped on. I don't particularly care for that. In Sunset, LA one can see gamecocks so equipped. In some countries in Latin America one can see gamecocks fight just with their natural feet and beaks; no enhancements. The State of NM still allows gamecock fighting, but Sunset, LA is really the gamecock-fighting capital of the US.

Uh, classy women hang out at these places too. Just one class below NASCAR-type women :D

M8

Rooster

Practically Family
They just outlawed Cockfighting in NM a few months ago...the Govener there is running for President.:rolleyes:
LA will be next. Louisiiana is the last bastion for cockfighting, and the ARAs are in high gear trying to shut them down. In the end it won't make much difference wether it's illegal or not, it will still be done on the sly. Great Britan outlawed cockfighting in 1834. It's still big over there , you just don't hear about it. It's a very closed fraternity, you gotta be a cockfighter to be in the club. Pretty much eliminates the n'er do wells that do nothing but gamble and run their mouths.

Rooster

Practically Family
Some interesting info on grocery store chicken. They raise a breed of bird here in the US for fryers and broilers. They reach fryer size in 6 weeks and broiler size in 8 weeks:eek: They grow so fast in that time they can't even support their own weight and just lay by the feeders and eat and crap. Stinky, messy monsters..... "Natural" chickens attain those sizes in 16 and 20 weeks. How'd they get those High tech chickens to grow so fast?[huh] Gotta be something in the genetics. Anyway, we don't eat that grocery store chicken, it doesn't even taste like chicken!

Foofoogal

Banned
http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.html

This is a great link to locally grown food. This thread is all over the place.

I used to raise chickens and we started by getting a few colored chicks for the kids for Easter ( I know dyeing chicks is not nice) Anyway they are mostly roosters. I knew nothing about raising chickens though honey did but I went on to selling my Arauconda green low cholesterol eggs to stores.
Roosters will definitely fight each other naturally if hens are around but generally will also sooner or later each pick out certain hens like little harems if given enough space. There will also be a head hen who will fight the other hens. I love to watch chickens and find it the same as watching fish in an aquarium. My honey and I used to prop our lawn chairs up against the fence and watch for fun. Delightful creatures of God.
We had a super almost resort for them. Honey made it to where I could get to the nesting boxes without even going into the hen house. We had like ladder things where they could get up high at night and we locked them in every night as we had coons, foxes etc.
Fresh eggs that have any hint of maybe having a chick in them are from lazy keepers IMHO and same for dogfighting and cock fighting. Only "bad" people would mistreat animals this way.

Rooster

Practically Family
I used to raise chickens and we started by getting a few colored chicks for the kids for Easter ( I know dyeing chicks is not nice) Anyway they are mostly roosters.
Beter to be born pink or blue that not at all!lol Those little easter chicks are the result of hybred production egg layers. They are sexed and seperated at birth and the roosters are used for these sorts of things as well as "box warmers". The hens go on to egg production. The hatcheries are always looking for ways to sell or get rid of the extra roosters that are seperated out of the hens Nobody wants them these days for meat as they take 10 weeks longer to grow to butchering size compared to the broilers that you see in the grocery store. Besides, have you ever seen how skinny a leghorn rooster is with out feathers!lol They're pretty boney boys.
I still want to watch drunks wrestle monkeys......

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Rooster said:
They just outlawed Cockfighting in NM a few months ago...the Govener there is running for President.:rolleyes:
LA will be next. Louisiiana is the last bastion for cockfighting, and the ARAs are in high gear trying to shut them down. In the end it won't make much difference wether it's illegal or not, it will still be done on the sly. Great Britan outlawed cockfighting in 1834. It's still big over there , you just don't hear about it. It's a very closed fraternity, you gotta be a cockfighter to be in the club. Pretty much eliminates the n'er do wells that do nothing but gamble and run their mouths.

That's news to me about NM. It won't go down in LA without a fight. Actually I'd like to see it stay there. There's a lot of character about Acadiana that I would not like to see disappear. They almost wiped out the French language there at one time. Now there's a nice resurrection, and I can actually hear the local patois spoken on the streets sometimes in Lafayette.

Cheers,

M8

Rooster said:
Some interesting info on grocery store chicken. They raise a breed of bird here in the US for fryers and broilers. They reach fryer size in 6 weeks and broiler size in 8 weeks:eek: They grow so fast in that time they can't even support their own weight and just lay by the feeders and eat and crap. Stinky, messy monsters..... "Natural" chickens attain those sizes in 16 and 20 weeks. How'd they get those High tech chickens to grow so fast?[huh] Gotta be something in the genetics. Anyway, we don't eat that grocery store chicken, it doesn't even taste like chicken!

Disgusting, isn't it. I haven't eaten a grocery store chicken in about 6 years. Once you've tasted the good 'uns, you don't go back to that garbage.

I think this thread is a bit more constrained than might be apparent. All these topics would naturally come up in any discussion of animal rights/mistreatment. It's important to realise that being against dog fighting is one thing, but then going to the store to buy an animal that was treated as badly as those dogs can be seen as hypocritical when well-treated aimals aren't that much more expensive - or even free if you have the ability/space to grow your own.

bk

p.s. Rooster, we had to hunt high and low to find a source for old laying hens. No-one wanted to sell 'em to us. They must go into the feed industry, and they pay more than we do. We finally found an organic chicken farm that would keep one back for us. Best chicken stock and broth i ever tasted.

Rooster

Practically Family
p.s. Rooster, we had to hunt high and low to find a source for old laying hens. No-one wanted to sell 'em to us. They must go into the feed industry, and they pay more than we do. We finally found an organic chicken farm that would keep one back for us. Best chicken stock and broth i ever tasted.
Yes, nothing like home grown chicken. It's amazing what chicken REALLY does taste like. I put 30 to 50 chickens in the freezer every year. These are the ones that don't make the final cut for exibition at poultry shows. These birds have never had any anti biotics or medication of any kind. They do eat commercial chicken chow, but a big part of their diet is also grass bugs and dirt, I free range all of my birds, except for the mature roosters of course.
I get people that come to the house for chicken all the time. I sell live chickens for $3 or $4, and never get any takers except Mexicans and Hmongs. Nobody else wants to kill what they're going to eat. I don't butcher chickens for anyone but myself, as it's too time consuming to be worth while.
I raise Japanes Shamos too, which are truely delicious if you like dark meat. I'm not sure if there's a better eatin' chicken on this earth. Ony problem is, I can get $50 to $200 a piece for them live...... I gotta be real hungry for Shamo if I'm going to bump one of those off!:essen:

BegintheBeguine

Just heard on the radio a young fellow here was charged with dog fighting and cruelty. The pit bull bitch, which had been sent from an Alabaman proven to trade in dogs used for fighting, had fresh dog bites and was sent to our friendly Humane Society facility, Lollypop Farm, for treatment and care. Wonder what happened to the other dog. My doggies started barking so I didn't hear if there will be any jail time but the fine will be $1000. A thousand dollars!!?? What a joke. That creep can probably find that in the jeans he wore yesterday, or in the couch cushions. At least they got him and saved animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe