Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think there could be a second Great Depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flicka

One Too Many
I think you need cows to get milk from. :p

Yes, and an egg tree, clearly. :rolleyes:

No, seriously, obviously you'd need hens and sheep, cows or goats. People here lived like that for about 2000 years, with some added pigs if they could afford them. My father's family are Sami though, and that's a very different lifestyle. Semi-nomadic hunters/gatherers who slowly drifted into "keeping" herds of reindeer. They still live pretty traditionally and keep reindeer:

http://www.eng.samer.se/servlet/GetDoc?meta_id=1094

If I could persuade some of those relatives to take me in, I'd probably be good to go. :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, and an egg tree, clearly. :rolleyes:

No, seriously, obviously you'd need hens and sheep, cows or goats. People here lived like that for about 2000 years, with some added pigs if they could afford them. My father's family are Sami though, and that's a very different lifestyle. Semi-nomadic hunters/gatherers who slowly drifted into "keeping" herds of reindeer. They still live pretty traditionally and keep reindeer:

http://www.eng.samer.se/servlet/GetDoc?meta_id=1094

If I could persuade some of those relatives to take me in, I'd probably be good to go. :)

There is a farm around here that keeps reindeer. I've had reindeer sausage. It was good. I got it as an early Christmas present and eating Santa's reindeer was a running joke around the house for about a month. I bet the milk is good too, but I've never tried it.

If I had a choice, I'd have a few sheep (wool and meat), milk goats (milk and meat), and chickens (eggs and meat). And then some crop acreage for fruits, nuts, and vegetables. You can farm 4 sheep or goats to an acre where I live, so maybe 4 ewes/does of each and then a buck and a ram.

Flicka

One Too Many
There is a farm around here that keeps reindeer. I've had reindeer sausage. It was good. I got it as an early Christmas present and eating Santa's reindeer was a running joke around the house for about a month. I bet the milk is good too, but I've never tried it.

I had some Aussie friends react that way: "Eat RUDOLPH?" But I grew up eating reindeer -- cured reindeer heart was one of my favourites as a child (still is). We would by half a reindeer and keep in the freezer when I grew up. When my brother-in-law turned 40 my sister actually got him a real live one through one of my father's connections. She didn't give it in "person" (or in "reindeer"?) though; it stayed with its herd and then in time for the autumn slaughter, the sis and her family went up north and got the meat, hide and horns. Very good for her city-bred children to learn about the circle of life and they were totally cool with it.

It's kinda funny thought, because up there everybody knows our family and goes "sure; we're cousins, five times removed". The man they got the reindeer from told a really funny story about some great-great grandfather of mine who died in the middle of the winter up on the fjell and was kept, deep-frozen, until they could get the body down to the church. The man taking him was terrified because he heard a knocking sound from the coffin and thought it was dark magic, until he realised that it was just the frozen body knocking against the wood. :)

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
If things went to hell in cities and towns whose residents didn't raise their own animals, it wouldn't be long before they'd eat household pets, then rodents and birds. Eventually, they'd resort to cannibalism: first eat the 'accidentally' dead, then kill the living for food. It's happened throughout history, and still occurs in some places.

If things went to hell in cities and towns whose residents didn't raise their own animals, it wouldn't be long before they'd eat household pets, then rodents and birds. Eventually, they'd resort to cannibalism: first eat the 'accidentally' dead, then kill the living for food. It's happened throughout history, and still occurs in some places.

[video=youtube_share;8Sp-VFBbjpE]http://youtu.be/8Sp-VFBbjpE[/video]
Soylent Green is People!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had some Aussie friends react that way: "Eat RUDOLPH?" But I grew up eating reindeer -- cured reindeer heart was one of my favourites as a child (still is). We would by half a reindeer and keep in the freezer when I grew up. When my brother-in-law turned 40 my sister actually got him a real live one through one of my father's connections. She didn't give it in "person" (or in "reindeer"?) though; it stayed with its herd and then in time for the autumn slaughter, the sis and her family went up north and got the meat, hide and horns. Very good for her city-bred children to learn about the circle of life and they were totally cool with it.

I must admit, when I first got the reindeer meat as a gift I was like, "they make reindeer into meat? Santa's reindeer? And someone sent it to me as a Christmas gift?" But I still ate it. :) Reindeer aren't found around here (they are much further north, into Canada and Alaska) so our equivalent would be eating deer or something.

I love venison, and I'm torn between having my husband take up hunting or not because I like it so much. But, to be honest, if he hunted it would be without me. Perhaps he can take the kids out when they get old enough, but I'll stay home. I don't know why, I grew up on a farm regularly eating things I was attached to (and seeing them be slaughtered and butchered), but the idea of me hunting a wild animal (particularly a deer, duck, or goose) really bothers me. Actually, I think hunting duck or goose bothers me more than deer, because those animals mate for life and I'd just be sad about it. There's some animals I wouldn't mind my husband hunting- woodchucks (my sworn enemy). In fact, I'd hunt a woodchuck myself.

There's an area where my mom's family is from. Her grandparents had 11 surviving children, and I am related somehow to everyone in that county. Literally. There's a gentleman in my PhD program from that area, and I think we figured out that we're probably distantly related by marriage through cousins a couple times removed. I seriously don't know how anyone in that area finds anyone to marry or date, because they are all related to me so they must all be related to each other too. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender

When I was little our family's gas station was also the local game tagging station, so it was nothing to see a truck or car come driving in with Bambi's Dad draped over the fenders, and when walking to school you'd always go by somebody's house with a deer hanging by its legs in the yard waiting to be cut up. We never thought of deer as anything *but* food, or as ornamental heads on somebody's wall. (The classiest people would also have the hooves mounted to a board so they could hold the rifle underneath the head.)

That's why when we were getting the Santa Claus legend, our parents would always stress REINdeer, not plain deer. "It's not the same thing!" they'd say.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
He was pretty proud of that movie as well. It has become an icon so I guess he was right. :D
I am sure that people could be made that oblivious. Do you know for sure what is in a hot dog? :p
I've never studied hot dogs per se, but when I was in the first grade, a friend of mine gave his views to his mother.
The result? After sitting down for lunch, and seeing hot dogs, he blurted out "oh great mom, lips and a*sholes."
Suddenly he had to get up and go to the bathroom with his mother. :eeek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken