Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DIY: Cufflinks Cheap

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
After watching a Bogie film the other night (and noticing his simple cufflinks) I got an idea...

I went to the local craft shop and picked up a few buttons:

cust-links-1.jpg

After about five minutes of work with a pair of needlenose pliers and a few small brass-plated jump rings, I had two new pair of custom-made cufflinks:

cust-links-2.jpg

They ended up costing me about a dollar a pair. The great thing about this is that there are tons of different types of buttons, so for next to nothing, you can make a pair of cufflinks to match a shirt, tie or suit perfectly.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Magnoli

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Those button cufflinks look fantastic! The buttons are really nice looking. Well done!

I have a gentleman at my gallery that makes cufflinks out of antique and non-circulated coins, he does them in such a style as they're completely unisex, and I just love 'em, as soon as I get my set in I'll post a photo. I'm waiting for a pair of 15th century Spanish coins!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
A bit yes, you aparently have to watch your metals and temperatures or else you'll wind up with cufflink soup and no cufflink!:eek:

griffer

Practically Family
I made a double-sided set of cufflinks from 4 german WWII pebble buttons.

They 'screw' together with a twist hook and eye in the middle as they are too large to clear button holes on shirts.

85_pebbledbutton(1).jpg

Picture%209856.jpg

Kent Wang Esq.

New in Town
Howdy, Gents.

Is there a source online for these buttons? I'd especially appreciate natural materials like MOP, onyx, etc. Color-dyed MOP would be nice but I'm not sure how common that is. Glass and metal would be nice, just no plastic.

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
OH, NO! I used the wire from the handle of a chinese take out box and a pair of needle nose pliers.

MacGyver cufflinks! I like it! :D

Here's one of the "el cheapo" cufflinks on my Marlowe shirt:

mc-marlowe-lg4.jpg

I wore them for a few days and they worked well... better than I thought they would, actually. I thought that the little jump rings I used might not hold up, but they worked fine.

Kind regards,
Indy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth