Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Demon Hanover by Hoyt Hats.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
I wanted to pass along something very interesting to everyone concerning the Hoyt Demon Hanover Hat. Last week I contacted Harrison Hoyt's son, Harrison Hoyt Jr., just to let him know how much I admired his father and the amazing story behind the history of his hats and Demon Hanover. I left a message on his phone never really expecting to hear from him, but that was fine as I felt good letting him know how much his father and the story of Demon Hanover is admired by so many.
Tonight, a week later, I received a phone call from Harrison Hoyt and what a treat it was to talk to him. He was a very friendly man and told me how special his dad was and how they all loved Demon Hanover. He called Demon " A Very handsome horse" and he was very special to the whole family.
I was able to solve the mystery of the sweat bands as to why some were stamped Danbury Conn., and some were stamped Vermont. He told me that at the end of the Hoyt Hat years, his father had a hat company in Vermont produce the hats and they apparently stamped their address on those hats. These were the last of the production as fedoras were going out of style and his father was getting out of the hat business because the popularity was nearing it's end.
What an honor it was to talk to this man and find out a little history as well.

gilligan

One of the Regulars
wanted to pass along something very interesting to everyone concerning the Hoyt Demon Hanover Hat. Last week I contacted Harrison Hoyt's son, Harrison Hoyt Jr., just to let him know how much I admired his father and the amazing story behind the history of his hats and Demon Hanover. I left a message on his phone never really expecting to hear from him, but that was fine as I felt good letting him know how much his father and the story of Demon Hanover is admired by so many.
Tonight, a week later, I received a phone call from Harrison Hoyt and what a treat it was to talk to him. He was a very friendly man and told me how special his dad was and how they all loved Demon Hanover. He called Demon " A Very handsome horse" and he was very special to the whole family.
I was able to solve the mystery of the sweat bands as to why some were stamped Danbury Conn., and some were stamped Vermont. He told me that at the end of the Hoyt Hat years, his father had a hat company in Vermont produce the hats and they apparently stamped their address on those hats. These were the last of the production as fedoras were going out of style and his father was getting out of the hat business because the popularity was nearing it's end.
What an honor it was to talk to this man and find out a little history as well.

Randall Renshaw

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An eBay Demon two hat/1 box lot BIN $55 per hat if you count the hat box as free.
Included extra photos of the box, since these seem to be more rare. A year ago I sold a DH box missing its original lid so I built one for it, and sold for $125, so this one should do a good bit better.
The labels on the inside read 9/53 on the smaller one and 9/54 on the 7 1/8.
Both built in Danbury.
The size 7 DH used to have a plastic liner of some type, maybe onion skin?, but has yellowed and rotted away leaving small fragments of it inside—as so many of them have.
The 7 1/8 made in ‘54 is a clear plastic liner and is still good to go.
As you can see, one is tan and the other silverbelly. The bigger one had a gambler crease, but felt it needed to be switched to a more sellable crease. I also had to clean the foxing out of the liner and sew it back in.
For both hats the felt quality I’d say range in comparison to the Stetson RDL or 3X quality at best.
As you all know, I could easily reblock the felt and size the 7 1/8 sweatband separately up to fit me, but I think I’d first rather try selling it back on eBay some time soon. It’ll have a very hefty price tag, for a long while at least, since I’m in no hurry to sell and won’t mind too much if it doesn’t.
Even though the sweatband is in very supple condition and would readily take a one size stretch I don’t think this particular rare hat should be monkeyed with.
Although, if the hat never sells at a decent profit I believe I can get over that sentiment.
:)

106EE4B6-FD26-4783-B48D-9DFD60366C70.jpeg
7A92A4B2-CE8B-4910-A450-08311174F686.jpeg
DC57AEDB-1E84-4A7E-B44A-5270C7755921.jpeg
C43B4BDA-0E0D-4603-8DDC-E1E2E187C5A7.jpeg
46D12E1F-4AA2-4D28-A1DF-CA2EA47968DD.jpeg
10CC26B2-9BBE-449B-9378-CFAFBA58241F.jpeg
7F5F4EEA-798C-4FEB-8148-667FBF01C060.jpeg
08AC49C6-B632-46EA-8F6E-26907F9FB986.jpeg

Last edited:
An eBay Demon two hat/1 box lot BIN $55 per hat if you count the hat box as free.
Included extra photos of the box, since these seem to be more rare. A year ago I sold a DH box missing its original lid so I built one for it, and sold for $125, so this one should do a good bit better.
Both built in Danbury.
The size 7 DH used to have a plastic liner of some type, maybe onion skin?, but has yellowed and rotted away leaving small fragments of it inside—as so many of them have.
As you can see, one is tan and the other silverbelly. The bigger one had a gambler crease, but felt it needed to be switched to a more sellable crease. I also had to clean the foxing out of the liner and sew it back in.
For both hats the felt quality I’d say range in comparison to the Stetson RDL or 3X quality at best.
As you all know, I could easily reblock the felt and size the 7 1/8 sweatband separately up to fit me, but I think I’d first rather try selling it back on eBay some time soon. It’ll have a very hefty price tag, for a long while at least, since I’m in no hurry to sell and won’t mind too much if it doesn’t.
Even though the sweatband is in very supple condition and would readily take a one size stretch I don’t think this particular rare hat should be monkeyed with.
Although, if the hat never sells at a decent profit I believe I can get over that sentiment.

View attachment 637887 View attachment 637893 View attachment 637890 View attachment 637891 View attachment 637889 View attachment 637886 View attachment 637885 View attachment 637884
Those are beautiful and unusual hats Randall. I'm paring down my hat collection right now, otherwise I'd be very tempted...

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A sweet pair, Randall.

Both built in Danbury.

View attachment 637887 View attachment 637893 View attachment 637890 View attachment 637891 View attachment 637889 View attachment 637886 View attachment 637885 View attachment 637884

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1