Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Shelley Duvall was an American actress. Known for her collaborations with Robert Altman and for playing eccentric characters, she was the recipient of several accolades including nominations for a British Academy Film Award and two Primetime Emmys. Born: 7 July 1949. Died: 11 July 2024 (age 75 years)

Famous for her role in The Shining, a film that I never did see, too violent. Did you know Kubrick's dedication to perfection led him to shoot 148 takes of a scene in The Shining, setting a world record for most retakes for a dialogue scene?

While Duvall was in London shooting The Shining, Robert Altman cast her to portray Olive Oyl in his big-screen adaptation of Popeye, opposite Robin Williams.The film was a commercial success despite negative critical reviews, while Duvall was praised for her performance.
She was close to perfect as Martha, aka “L.A. Joan,” the groupie wannabe in “Nashville,” Robert Altman’s 1975 masterpiece. Her interactions with Keenan Wynn, playing her character’s uncle, are as clear an expose of immaturity and superficiality as I recall ever seeing on film. She’s come to Nashville ostensibly to see her dying aunt, the Keenan Wynn character’s wife. But she can’t be bothered with that.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Bob Newhart
George Robert Newhart was an American comedian and actor. He was known for his deadpan and stammering delivery style. Beginning as a stand-up comedian, he transitioned his career to acting in television. He received numerous accolades, including three Grammy Awards, an Emmy Award, and a Golden Globe Award.
Born: 5 September 1929 , Oak Park, Illinois, USA.
Died: 18 July 2024 (age 94 years,) Los Angeles, California, USA.
Bob Newhart was best known for his dry sense of humour, which made him one of the most iconic comedic actors of his generation.
Born George Robert Newhart in suburban Chicago. He worked as an accountant and in advertising, until he began his one man show, improvising sketches over the phone.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Duke Fakir, the final surviving original member of The Four Tops, has died at the age of 88.
Fakir was part of the group's biggest hits, including the Billboard Hot 100 chart toppers I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch), which spent two nonconsecutive weeks in the top spot in 1965, and the 1966 hit Reach Out I'll Be There, which also spent two weeks at the top.

His death follows that of his three former bandmates: Lawrence Payton, Obie Benson and Levi Stubbs.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Duke Fakir, the final surviving original member of The Four Tops, has died at the age of 88.
Fakir was part of the group's biggest hits, including the Billboard Hot 100 chart toppers I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch), which spent two nonconsecutive weeks in the top spot in 1965, and the 1966 hit Reach Out I'll Be There, which also spent two weeks at the top.

His death follows that of his three former bandmates: Lawrence Payton, Obie Benson and Levi Stubbs.
Yeah.... this one hurt. A LOT. I remember watching the Motown reviews when they passed through NY City as a kid. The Temps had the moves BUT the the Tops had a CANON in Levi Stubbs. And the fact that the Tops lineup NEVER changed kept them in my heart. Sigh......

Worf

Yeah.... this one hurt. A LOT. I remember watching the Motown reviews when they passed through NY City as a kid. The Temps had the moves BUT the the Tops had a CANON in Levi Stubbs. And the fact that the Tops lineup NEVER changed kept them in my heart. Sigh......

Worf
Mr Stubbs was my favourite. As a white kid I still imagined having a voice like that or at least dreamt of it.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Actress Gena Rowlands has died aged of 94.

1723706186502.png

1723706336968.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Revandmo