Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating: Do's and Dont's (1949)

Elaina

One Too Many
As an Aries, and true to my sign, these dates would put me to sleep. It's fun (and as it should be), but I am very typical of my sign, even if I don't believe in it.

I like a nice time, but really, I'd rather be the bad girl anymore. Dancing, having a drink, all things "nice" girls didn't do. Besides, I live where the only thing to go an do on an adult level is the honky tonk. Yes, I'm serious and we all know nice girls didn't go in those places.

Diamondback, the meal thing is a good idea, but I eat pizza with a knife and fork (I really dislike eating with my hands) so some people can get around it. Besides, since the divorce, my social anxiety is a lot less and I just talk ALL the time. I don't pay attention to how someone eats unless it's really bad.

Elaina said:
Diamondback, the meal thing is a good idea, but I eat pizza with a knife and fork (I really dislike eating with my hands) so some people can get around it.
Not at a properly-done Chili Cookoff, you can't... :eek: :p lol If it weren't chock-full o' four-letter goodness I'd post a link to "the MRE Gourmet," speaking of "playing with the food." lol :D

----------------
Now playing: Danny Elfman - Headquarters
via FoxyTunes

Elaina

One Too Many
Lincsong, I'm gonna disdainfully sniff at you, because you mock hurt my feelings. Laughing at my plight. Go ahead and laugh when a "well dressed man" is having jeans and a clean Hanes shirt on. And I have to move my beer (if I drank it) to avoid the beer bottles hitting the chicken wire. ;)

Diamondback...you know I carry a plastic set of silverware in my purse. And to the comment I won't have time to use a spoon in combat...wanna bet? I can't eat without a napkin either. This also might be why a) I never went into the Army and B)why I wouldn't have ate if I did. I also only eat one thing at a time, and really would prefer my food to never touch. (And no, I'm not OCD. I just eat this way.)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Elaina said:
Lincsong, I'm gonna disdainfully sniff at you, because you mock hurt my feelings. Laughing at my plight. Go ahead and laugh when a "well dressed man" is having jeans and a clean Hanes shirt on. And I have to move my beer (if I drank it) to avoid the beer bottles hitting the chicken wire. ;)

Jeans and a clean Hanes shirt????lol Doesn't he wear shoes? Or does he have to wash his feet first to give the whole ensemble gravitas???:D

Elaina

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Yeah, even as far back as when one of my ancestors left there to fight for Texan independence Tennesseeans generally had better style-sense than that...:p

Maybe where I don't live.

You know, I pay attention to my shoes and that's about it. After so many Nikes and cowboy boots, I don't see them unless they actually have snazzy shoes on. Growing up with my own bonafide redneck for a dad, boots are so normal to not comment on them.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ why would it be hidden? its in the jug on the shelf :p

anyway... I just read through this thread and was rather amused. While my own dating experience is rather minimal It's nice to know others have the same issues.

I also hate to eat in front of someone. I remember I went on a date once and we went to Subway before hitting a live play of wizard of oz, well, the guy was 6'3" and rather shy, and I'm not the littlest things and self conscious. We scarfed our subs down as fast as we could while looking different directions, so we didn't see the other. lol

I'm game for a movie or bowling. Something light and fun.

However, if the movie has a "steamy" scene in it, things get awkward fast. It's like, oh, crap, I didn't realize there was a sex scene in this, I'm not going to look at him/her, I'll stare at the wall instead.

I've never had an issue with a guy trying to kiss/etc on a first date, but apparently, from talking to friends/almost relationships, I'm "too independent and they get the vibe I wasn't interested." :eusa_doh:

However when out with friends I've had guys try to kiss me when we weren't dating or involved. Randomly, try to kiss my cheek and get an ear or something. I'm just kinda like huh?

All in all, I dislike dating. It's a nuisance...hmm..maybe I AM to independent :p

Djupis

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:
However, if the movie has a "steamy" scene in it, things get awkward fast. It's like, oh, crap, I didn't realize there was a sex scene in this, I'm not going to look at him/her, I'll stare at the wall instead.

I saw Knocked Up on a date once. Awkward indeed.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:
I also hate to eat in front of someone. I remember I went on a date once and we went to Subway before hitting a live play of wizard of oz, well, the guy was 6'3" and rather shy,

I'm game for a movie or bowling. Something light and fun.

um are we the same person? because i too hate to eat in front of people, went out with a 6'3'' guy who took me to subway, i detest movies as date ideas (i dont like the pressure to makeout in the theater *yuck* i came to watch a movie, thanks) and much prefer to go do something active. though i have never really been called too independent... hmm

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ lol possibly. I always say there is a kind of twin to everyone somewhere in the world :p

I've never had anyone attempt to makeout with me in a theatre, but if they had they would have soon been watching the movie alone, I'm definitely not a PDA type of gal

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My mol's friend was apparently surprised that we behaved ourselves when we were in the cinema. It seems that it's considered normal to make out in the cinema when with a significant other. Either way she and I are both of the opinion that we pay to watch a film, not to put others off. Then again, I did wear a suit the first time we met as well to the film (it was Public Enemies) so I suppose nothing about me can be particularly normal by todays standards.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Honestly, I thought the stereotype of making out in movies was just that ... a stereotype! How quaint that people actually do it (gag ). I do like the new, big seats that you can lift up the arms and feel like it is a sofa, I feel cuddling in movies is completely appropriate. Also, while I think there is no need to actually make out in public, I think small, clean PDA is sweet and affectionate - a hand at the small of the back, hands held, "sweet" (dry, short) kisses, etc. Yeah, when I'm not involved I get the jealous bug over these things, but I think it is good that people show they care for one another in such a way.

Matthew Verge

New in Town
What a film! Did anyone else notice that the father was assisting in doing the dishes? Nice to see in an almost-50s version of how adults thought family life should be conducted. Whose idea, I wonder, to say, "Now, let's have the father drying the dishes . . . "

Everyone fit their niche no nicely, too. I like how the older brother was self confident and the younger brother was awkward to the point of ridiculousness.

Worse date ever I went with a girl from my English class to see Hotel Rwanda. I guess I asked her because she seemed smart. She got all jumpy and practically leaped into my arms when there was any killing, which was a turn off for me; she was pushing way too hard. After the movie we got a drink, and she realized I had no clue what bands were on the radio or who was on TV. I was just coming out of a semi-reclusive stage of my life in which I hadn't had much media around, through no fault of my own.

She didn't have much of a sense of humour about it. She told me I should get out more and I concluded she was a bimbo. Life goes on.

My wife rags on me (in a friendly way) for me being a terrible flirt, but I guess all in all I'm glad the dating days are over. Flirting is way more fun.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
pdxvintagette said:
Honestly, I thought the stereotype of making out in movies was just that ... a stereotype! How quaint that people actually do it (gag ). I do like the new, big seats that you can lift up the arms and feel like it is a sofa, I feel cuddling in movies is completely appropriate. Also, while I think there is no need to actually make out in public, I think small, clean PDA is sweet and affectionate - a hand at the small of the back, hands held, "sweet" (dry, short) kisses, etc. Yeah, when I'm not involved I get the jealous bug over these things, but I think it is good that people show they care for one another in such a way.

I think it's cute in a "thats so cute I want to throw up rainbows and bubbles" kinda way, but I don't mind it. When I say PDA, I mean like that couple who is making out in the hallway, and can't keep their hands of each other for more than 2 seconds. Get A Room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe