Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating: Do's and Dont's (1949)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately we are in the minority. Personally I think conversation matters on a first date though as it's an opportunity to get to know the other person, which you don't have if all you are going to do is sit in a cinema.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a snapshot of 40's social perspective as well.

1949-cartoon-strip.jpg

This video is a campy rendition of an ideal that is still fostered today. Nothing wrong with a nice date, however, the sound track made me cry. :(

Edward

Bartender
avedwards said:
Unfortunately we are in the minority. Personally I think conversation matters on a first date though as it's an opportunity to get to know the other person, which you don't have if all you are going to do is sit in a cinema.

I imagine it depends on the situation, but a shared interest in a film is a good way to stimulate conversation afterrwards, and can be less nervewracking if both parties are feeling nervous. Ease them into it, as it were.

I found it interesting that they portrayed the older brother as leaving with a (rather nice, incluing the bash) fedora in his hand as he leaves the house. Presumably this detail, as opposed to the hatless younger brother, was designed to emphasise that he was older and more mature than the hatless kid?

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
JennyLou said:
Your right, girls do. From my experience guys are no good and I tend to think that about every guy I meet. I wish I didn't but I do.

Unfortunately this sort of idea is shared by many, it has effected me negatively in more than one situation, thus spawning a similar idea about the opposite side of the spectrum in my mind, its all no good.

Feraud

Bartender
Lady Day said:
You should remember that these are movies that adults put out for kids on what to do, or rather what they think they should do. That does not necessarily mean they -did- those things. :rolleyes:

LD
Exactamundo LD.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
It's a bit of a fad within my major (Film) to re-edit these shorts to make them sound pervy. I myself spent my editing class teaching myself to re-sync vintage burlesque recordings to techno music, but to each his own.

At least they're watching vintage film...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I imagine it depends on the situation, but a shared interest in a film is a good way to stimulate conversation afterrwards, and can be less nervewracking if both parties are feeling nervous. Ease them into it, as it were.
A shared interest in film is good I agree, but my comment of going to the cinema being bad on a first date was in reference to this comment:
Now a days, t-shirt, jeans, at the movies and making out is an expectation is what we have degenerated into.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
avedwrds your perspective regarding kissing is well noted. I, however, subscribe to the following:

"As Time Goes By"

"You must remember this
A kiss is just a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh.
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by."

© 1931 Warner Bros. Music Corporation, ASCAP

Se back then in the days before the mating ritual was conceived ( oops did I say 'concieved') :eek: people were kissing. Even in movie theaters. *yucky*

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fleur De Guerre said:
I'm pretty sure that's what they were really doing, even back then in those so much more innocent times. ;)

I dont know. I think getting felt up woudda come first, then the making out on date two or three ;)

LD

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I'm a very shy girl. No movie on a first date, means nothing I could say... I'd probably be so nervous I wouldn't be able to talk much. Honestly, dating is like a nightmare. :eek: I'm so very shy... I can't even eat in front of people.

i mean, if there was no movie, I wouldn't be sure what to talk about, unless he took the conversation under his wing. And even then, I'd be very nervous. Maybe not so much anymore... I've gotten more assured in myself. But movies are wonderful topic starters for shy gals like me. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*I cant believe this conversation* :eusa_doh:

My assumption (as it has been told to me) of 'first base' was a feel above the waist, over the clothes.
'Second base' was a kiss/and or a feel above the waist beneath the clothes.
'Third base' a feel below waist, beneath clothes.

And a 'home run' is what leads to a shotgun wedding :rolleyes:

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe